“When you first suggested there was a reason for my gambling, I thought that was a mad idea. Now I’ve learnt there was a reason – I gambled to escape feeling sad and afraid. The choice was gambling or suicide. Now I’ve learned how to face my feelings I don’t need to escape. Thank you. GamCare has saved my life.”
GamCare is the leading provider of information, advice, support and free counselling for the prevention and treatment of problem gambling. We operate the National Gambling Helpline, provide treatment for problem gamblers and their families, create awareness about responsible gambling and treatment, and encourage an effective approach to responsible gambling within the gambling industry.
To support those affected by problem gambling through advice and treatment, and minimise gambling-related harm through education, prevention and communication.
- To provide high quality, effective and non-judgemental advice and support for problem gamblers and affected others, serving the whole of Great Britain
- To provide high quality, effective, versatile and responsive treatment for problem gamblers and affected others in Great Britain
- To help and support operators and regulators in the development and implementation of effective responsible gambling policies, measures and practices, including certification, training and consultancy
- To lead in the development of best practice in research, education, communication and become an internationally recognised Centre of Clinical Excellence
- To provide advice, support, education and treatment to young people and other vulnerable groups
- To run GamCare efficiently and effectively
The National Gambling HelpLine is free to call on 0808 8020 133 or you can chat to an Adviser on our NetLine. We provide live, confidential, one-to-one information, advice and emotional support, plus we can signpost to further sources of specialist help, including our counselling services across the UK.
Our HelpLine and NetLine services are available seven days a week, between 8am - midnight. Advisers are specifically trained and can discuss what options are available, and they can offer coping strategies to those who want to change their gambling behaviour.
Our online Forum and Chat Rooms are available to anyone who wants to share their experiences. Threads include an area for new members, for supporting a problem gambler, recovery diaries, and information about Gamblers Anonymous and Gam-Anon meetings.
We also offer individual face-to-face counselling and online counselling, at our offices in London as well as regionally through a growing network of Partner agencies.
GamCare also offers advice and training on social responsibility and player protection to the gambling industry through fee-based products such as GamCare Certification (recognition of best practice through adherence to Codes of Practice). The GamCare Codes of Practice include protective measures referencing age verification, staff training, facilitating time and spend limits, self-exclusion and displaying information about sources of help. GamCare produces posters and leaflets for gaming establishments in the UK, publicising our the National Gambling Helpline and our website, as well as links to our services for online operators.
We also make an important contribution to research and youth education, focussing particularly on projects which will inform both policy and practice. GamCare continues to develop education and prevention strategies for young people to increase awareness and educate about the risks of gambling. We provide direct support to young people experiencing a gambling problem.
Was this page useful? Yes