Become a GamCare Online Peer Supporter
Make a difference by using your own experiences
For over 25 years, GamCare has been there for people experiencing gambling harms, whether that be people who gamble themselves or someone impacted by someone else’s gambling. We offer support over the phone, face-to-face or online and our treatment is free, flexible and confidential.
We are currently recruiting for Online Peer Supporters, to provide one-to-one and group support to both individuals who gamble and those affected by someone else’s gambling. Using their own experiences of gambling-related harms, volunteers will support others digitally as part of our Online Support Services and will include email support as well as facilitating our Forum and Chatrooms.
Full training and ongoing support will be provided to enable you to use your lived experience to work with our team as an Online Peer Supporter, providing support to all of those affected by gambling.
We believe that peer support is essential in the recovery journey. It provides:
- Shared understanding
- Reduces stigma
- A non-judgemental environment
- Practical insights and tools
- Continued motivation and hope
Our online platforms are designed to provide social connection to those who could be isolated or feel they have no one else to talk to. People accessing our services have identified that receiving support from someone who has had similar experiences can really benefit them when overcoming the challenges they may face on their recovery journey. It also provides a sense of community and belonging and contributes to the long-term support of those accessing these services.
More about becoming an Online Peer Supporter:
A comprehensive training programme will be delivered by our Lived Experience Volunteering team to provide you with the skills and confidence to use your experiences to support others while protecting your own recovery. Training includes:
- Motivational interviewing
- Facilitation skills
Online Peer Supporters will:
- Navigate and guide contacts through existing services at GamCare and the National Gambling Support Network.
- Use motivational interviewing skills while drawing from their own lived experience to provide a supportive, non-judgemental space for those affected by gambling harms.
- Facilitate discussions via our online support services, including:
- Email – you will be paired with an individual for regular email correspondence (up to 3 emails per week for 6 months)
- Chatrooms – you will facilitate group discussions and supporting conversation between people at various stages of recovery
- Forum – you will initiate discussions, respond to posts, and provide encouragement, signposting and support to forum users
- Help individuals set aims and goals to move to a more positive, sustained recovery whilst also providing resources to support people with these plans.
- Recognise the purpose and remit of our service and signposting to other internal and external support where appropriate.
What can I expect from GamCare?
In return, GamCare will:
- Provide a full, comprehensive induction and training programme
- Give you access to a dedicated Volunteer Coordinator
- Offer and arrange 1:1 and group supervision
- Fully support your own wellbeing and recovery journey
- Give ongoing training and development opportunities
- Provide access to some internal job opportunities within our services team
- Provide a reference after 3 months of regular volunteering
For any of our volunteering roles we ask that you have lived experience of gambling-related harms. This includes being affected by someone else’s gambling (friend or family member).
We ask that you’ve been in positive, sustained recovery for at least one year before volunteering with us.
This role is completely remote, so you’ll need access to a reliable internet connection, a computer and a confidential space.
To volunteer with us you must currently reside within the United Kingdom.
For full role requirements, please see the Role Profile
Please note that this role is subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. Please do not let that deter you from applying as all applications will be considered.
Availability & Commitment
We ask that you have availability at a regular time for around 1-2 hours per week for a minimum of 6 months.
Before volunteering with us, you will need to complete a mixture of self-directed online training and live online group training sessions delivered by our Volunteer Coordinators over a period of approximately 4 weeks.
Full details of the induction, including the next available dates will be sent to you by a member of the team within one week of receiving your application.
How to Apply
If you’d like to find out more or apply to volunteer with us, please complete the application form: https://forms.microsoft.com/e/cxrvnyC782
Alternatively, if you would prefer to submit your application in an alternative format (for example, video recording or voice note), please contact [email protected].
Once we receive your application, a member of the team will get in touch with you to explain the next steps. If you have any questions, please email us on the address above.
The data collected in your application will be stored securely by GamCare, please see our full Privacy Statement.
Please note recruitment for this role is ongoing and applications will be reviewed regularly with training provided at various points throughout the year. Completed applications will therefore be stored for up to 4 months, and the team may contact you regarding your application at any point during this time.