We are committed to ensuring that everyone who accesses our services feels safe and supported.
The information below gives you more information on how we gather and process data and information about everyone who accesses our website. For information about how data is collected and processed through our HelpLine and/or Treatment services, please see Confidentiality and Data Protection.
This policy may change from time to time and any updates will be posted here. If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected],
1. What information is collected from you?
GamCare use Google Analytics to gather information about everyone who uses our site, and we will also ask people registering for our Forum to provide contact details. We ask for contact details so that we are able to follow up with you: a) in case we are concerned for your safety and wellbeing; b) so that we can contact you regarding specific posts or comments which we feel contravene our guidelines for the Forum and Chatrooms.
Our site and Google Analytics do track IP addresses (the location of the device you are using to access our site), and we use this information to:
- Keep track of the number of people who have accessed our site before;
- Report, moderate or block users who are abusive to other users;
- Restrict access to our live chat service so that people located outside the UK are not able to access this channel (our funding agreement states that we are funded to provide this service in England, Scotland and Wales).
We collect and process the following information via Google Analytics regarding visitors to our website, however this data is non-identifiable to individuals and is not used for any purpose other than to better understand how and why people may be using our online services, so that we can continue to improve them and adapt to changing needs:
- Details of visits to our site, i.e. how many people are accessing our site, whether they have visit before, when they visit and for how long, and which pages they view;
- Where users are located in the world, what type of devices they are using to access our site;
- How users accessed our site, including whether this was through a social media platform (please note that we do not have access to any individual accounts).
- Information on the estimated demographic of people accessing our site (this information is provided through Google Analytics via cookies, see below for further information).
Information gathered through Google Analytics is deleted after a maximum of three years.
We will also record the following in our secure databases:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our site, such as survey information, email address or your preferred method of communication;
- Details of transactions, for example donations or event bookings, that are carried out on the GamCare web site.
When we do want to collect personal data we will be upfront about this. We will make it clear when we collect personal data and will explain what we intend to do with it.
Transcripts of chatroom conversations will be stored in our system automatically after each session, however we will delete these every 48 hours.
We also collect anonymous data for research purposes only. This includes anonymised data shared through the GamCare website, which Gamcare and select research partners use to improve the services we offer.
2. How is your information used?
GamCare uses the information we collect about you to help us understand more about how our site is used, and to be able to send you communications, either electronically or otherwise, which you have registered to receive. We will only send communications to you if you have volunteered your contact details to us for this purpose.
When you have registered for our Forum or Chatroom, we will use your contact details to a) check in with you if we are concerned for your welfare or that of others; b) alert you if you may be contravening our Forum and chatroom guidelines; c) correspond with you about your account.
Your Forum account and the content you post will remain on the site unless we feel that content is damaging to you or others, or unless you ask us to delete this. In this case, we will delete your personal data and attribute your posts to a ‘guest user’ profile.
We share anonymised information with select third parties for research purposes only.
3. Who is collecting your information?
GamCare collects information at several different points on our website.
We use Google Analytics to analyse the use of our site. Google Analytics generates statistical information about the use of our site through ‘cookies’. A cookie consists of information sent by a web server (our site) to a web browser (the application you are using to access the site, such as Google Chrome) and stored by the browser. Information is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. This enables the web server to identify and track the web browser.
When you use our secure online donation pages, your transaction will be processed by a secure partner company (currently the Charities Aid Foundation) and the information you give, such as your payment card number and contact information, is only provided so that these transactions can take place. Our website will not retain any of your payment information.
Where we collect your personal data through our website, we will make it clear when we are gathering this information and how we intend to use it.
4. With whom does GamCare share your personal information?
GamCare is committed to protecting the personal data of all our users, supporters and members. We will not sell or rent your personal information to third parties. If you have requested a referral into our treatment network, your information will only be shared with the relevant partner agency delivering this service.
We share anonymous data with select partners for research purposes only. These partners include: Ipsos Mori. No personal identifiable information is shared with these partners.
Any details you give us will be held in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 (GDPR). We are the data controller – GamCare, 1st floor 91-94 Saffron Hill, London EC1N 8QP. Our registered data controller number is Z5715938.
The following Gamcare staff member is our named Data Protection Officer:
5. What are my choices regarding the collection and use of my information?
You can adjust your own privacy settings and controls on the devices you use to access our site and others.
When you have provided information to us, GamCare will not disclose any of your personal data gathered through our website, except where you have given your explicit permission, or where required by law.
From time to time we may want to contact you about other GamCare services and products, and you can let us know if you would like to receive these different communications through the different sign-up forms provided. One example is our e-newsletter. You can withdraw consent to this processing at any time.
6. What is the GamCare policy on allowing me to update, correct or delete my personally identifiable information?
The accuracy of the information you provide is important to GamCare. If you change email address, or any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date, please email us at [email protected],, or write to us at GamCare, 1st floor 91-94 Saffron Hill, London EC1N 8QP.
If we do hold personal information which you would like us to delete, or you would like to update your preferences about how you receive communications from us, email us or write to us to let us know.
The General Data Protection Regulation provides the following rights for individuals:
- The right to be informed
- The right of access
- The right to rectification
- The right to erasure
- The right to restrict processing
- The right to data portability
- The right to object
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling.
For more information please visit the ICO website.
7. What security precautions are in place to protect the loss, misuse or alteration of my information?
Some details (your email address etc.) may be transmitted normally over the Internet, and this can never be guaranteed to be 100% secure. While we strive to protect your personal data, including ensuring our site is upgraded to https, GamCare cannot completely ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
Once we receive your transmission, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 (GDPR). If your data does not need to be stored we will ensure this is deleted as soon as it is processed.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential.
If for any reason you would like to register a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) please visit https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/