MyGamCare account rules
Registration for MyGamCare is free. However, registration means that you accept these rules of engagement.
The rules are not meant to be exhaustive and we reserve the right to edit posts and/or, take other action in accordance with the purpose and principles of the Forum and Chatroom.
By registering to use MyGamCare services, you are agreeing to be held responsible for the information you post on these services and you are confirming that you accept and understand the following Rules of Engagement:
- You must be aged 18 or over to create an account (visit www.bigdeal.org.uk if you are under 18).
- Any information entered into MyGamCare will be reported on in an anonymous way and only as part of grouped data. MyGamCare and any data entered into it is not monitored and is completely self-led.
- During the Goal set-up process in MyGamCare, you have the option to set email reminders that prompt you to check in and log your process. If you use this feature then you will receive notifications to the email address you are logged in with. You can turn off these email notifications at any time by disabling them in My Account settings.
- In cases of account deletion, we will keep some anonomised data unless explicitly stated.
Forum & Chatroom specific:
- All posts and comments reflect the views of the author of that post. GamCare will not be held responsible for the content of any member messages or information posted.
- In accordance with policy and procedure, GamCare staff will delete or edit posts (this is known as ‘moderation’) that are deemed to be against the purpose of Forum or Chatroom services. i.e. messages which are considered malicious, obscene, insulting will be deleted.
- Try to use clear English with standard punctuation, capitalisation and paragraphs in your posts.
- Be sensitive to how your messages may be viewed and perceived by others.
- Please show consideration and respect for other users and for their opinions.
- Do not post in ALL CAPS or in large fonts.
- Before offering advice, make sure your information is accurate. Remember, another user’s suggestion is not a substitute for a professional’s opinion. Also, what works for you may not work for everyone.
- GamCare staff are specially trained to ensure the therapeutic nature of the Forum. They are not permitted to self-disclose as the main focus must be on Forum and Chatroom users.
Any user who posts anything that may cause technical problems for GamCare or other users will face an immediate and permanent ban from the Forum or Chatrooms. Please read the full Forum & Chatroom etiquette >>
We hope you can contribute positively to our online Forum and Chatrooms, and as frequently as you can, to help us to make this a thriving and rewarding community that encourages recovery from the effects of harmful gambling.
MyGamCare’s privacy statement should be read in conjunction with GamCare’s wider website privacy statement. GamCare does not sell, rent or trade user information and will always strive to maintain a high level of security to ensure users’ data are kept private and confidential. Users’ email addresses are kept on a secure server.
GamCare reserves the right to use anonymised information gathered from its services for research or marketing purposes: details which personally identify an individual will always be removed. The content of the GamCare Forum is owned by GamCare; Chatroom postings are not retained by GamCare once sessions end.
We realise that many Forum and Chatroom users will become distressed from time to time and may wish to discuss their feelings using these online services. However, please be aware that it may not be helpful for you, and it may be distressing for others, to disclose issues that are very personal to you or which involve ideas about self-harm or suicide given the group nature of chatrooms and the public nature of the Forum. You may also wish to avoid posting when under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If you need to talk about these feelings, please contact the Helpline where you will be signposted to other support agencies.
Zero Tolerance Policy
GamCare operates a zero tolerance policy with regards to the abuse of other service users or staff. This is known as ‘cyber-bullying’ where it occurs online. Personal or targeted insults, threats, obscene comments and aggressive outbursts directed at other service users or at staff will not be tolerated. Users who persist in engaging in this way may be banned from GamCare’s services. Please report any abusive posts or incidences of cyber-bullying to [email protected].
You must register on this site with an email address that is valid. New users will not be able to post on the Forum or Chatrooms until they click the activation link sent to their registered email address, and the account has been approved. Registered Forum and Chatroom users are responsible for keeping GamCare up-to-date about their current email address.
Only one account per person is allowed. Registering more than one account will result in all of the user’s accounts being suspended, and the user may be permanently banned from using the GamCare Forum and/or Chatroom services.
GamCare does not sell, rent or trade user information and will always strive to maintain a high level of security to ensure users’ data are kept private and confidential. Users’ email addresses are kept on a secure server. GamCare reserves the right to use anonymised information gathered from its services for research or marketing purposes: details which personally identify an individual will always be removed. The content of the GamCare Forum is owned by GamCare; Chatroom postings are not retained by GamCare once sessions end.
Political Action and Campaigning
The GamCare Forum and Chatroom services are not spaces for organising political action or recruiting other service users for the purposes of doing so. Should you wish to petition the Government about a political matter concerning problem gambling, please visit http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/ or write to your MP and do not use GamCare’s online services to recruit other petitioners.
Disclosure of criminal activity
Any disclosures of criminal activities, abuse or self-harm where we believe the user (or the people they know) are in real danger, may have to be referred to the police or other authorities. This is to safeguard all parties concerned. Such comments may also be removed or moderated by our staff.
Account Removal and Banned Accounts
If a user wishes to leave the Forum and Chatrooms, we can deactivate the account at their request which means they will no longer be able to log in. All posts will remain on the site unless exceptional circumstances exist, for example a safeguarding issue.
Forum users should consider the fact that forum posts are public before deciding to post identifiable details about themselves and their families.
A person who wishes to move on from the forum may wish to have their posts re-attributed to ‘anonymous-user’. However GamCare would not allow users to continually leave the site and return to create new accounts as we feel this goes against the spirit and community of the forum and so we reserve the right to refuse this request.
Members may wish to consider taking a break from the forum rather than deactivating their account completely if they feel unsure about whether they wish to return in future. Chatroom posts are not available for other users to view once sessions end.
Service users who continually breach GamCare’s Rules of Engagement, and who do not respond to attempts to guide or moderate posts, may be banned temporarily or permanently depending on the nature of the breach.
We will retain information on banned users so that we can attempt to stop them from registering again and we may use their information should the need for further (for example, legal) action arise. Any questions regarding the Forum or Chatrooms should be sent to [email protected].