GameChange – Important Information
About the GameChange Forum
The course includes a dedicated forum where participants can communicate with each other and share their experiences. Your real name will not be visible when you post a message in the forum, however the username you have chosen will be. Please choose a username you are comfortable to share.
By registering to this course and using the forum, you are agreeing to be held responsible for the information you post, and you are confirming that you accept and understand the following ‘Rules of Engagement’:
- Please show consideration and respect for other users and for their opinions.
- Please do not post in ALL CAPS or in large fonts.
- Before offering advice, make sure your information is accurate. Remember, another user’s suggestion is not a substitute for a professional’s opinion. Also, what works for you may not work for everyone.
- GamCare staff are specially trained to create a therapeutic environment on the forum. They are not permitted to self-disclose as the focus must be on forum users.
- In accordance with policy and procedure, GamCare staff retain the right to delete or edit posts (this is known as moderation) that are deemed to be against the purpose of the forum.
- Personal or targeted insults, threats, obscene comments and aggressive outbursts directed at other service users or at staff will not be tolerated. Users who persist in engaging in this way may be banned from GamCare’s services.
- Any disclosures of criminal activities, abuse or self-harm where we believe the user (or the people they know) are in real danger, may have to be referred to the police or other authorities to safeguard all parties concerned. Such comments may also be removed or moderated by our staff.
GameChange Confidentiality & Data Protection
The data collected though GameChange (e.g. surveys and written answers) may be used to better understand the experiences connected with gambling problems and gambling recovery, which in turn can support the development of additional services for people experiencing gambling problems.
No personal data (e.g. your name, address, e-mail, phone number) will be used in this way – data will be anonymised and reported in such a way that cannot reveal your identity. This is in line with the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA), and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the legal basis of our organisation’s legitimate interest in providing you with the best quality service and care.
All information we collect through GameChange is stored confidentially and safely on the database, and we will store your records for seven years after you complete your treatment course with us.
You have a right to view your records and if you wish to do this, you can either ask your practitioner or contact us directly via [email protected]
All conversations between you and your treatment practitioner are completely confidential and will never be used for research or reporting purposes. What you share or discuss with us remains confidential except in certain circumstances. There are specific circumstances where if we believe you are at high risk of significantly harming yourself or others (including the risk of harm to children), we may contact a third party without your consent. In these circumstances we will, where possible, discuss the situation with you before we discuss with anyone outside of GamCare. The exception to this is if to do so would put you or others at increased risk of harm.
Your participation in the course is voluntary. You have the right to terminate the treatment course at any time by contacting your treatment practitioner or sending the request to [email protected]
How we use and store data
To participate in the course, you will need to submit a valid email address and phone number. We use this information for identification and communication purposes. You can participate in the course using your own name or a nickname (username).
By accepting the terms and conditions, you give your consent for your personal information to be processed by us and stored in our database.
The registry is handled securely, and the data processed with information systems is protected. When data is stored on web servers, the information security of those devices is properly managed and the data controller ensures that stored data, server access rights and other information of critical importance for the security of personal data are processed confidentially and only by those employees whose job it is to do so. Information will not be transferred outside the EU or EEA. The service provider is bound by a duty of confidentiality.
Your answers will be stored in the GameChange database, where your treatment practitioner will be able to access them for treatment purposes. Any personal data that you have submitted (name, nickname, hometown, e-mail address and phone number) will only be used by your appointed treatment practitioner.
As well as ensuring we can provide you with the best support, we collect information about you so that we can have a better understanding about who is using the course and why. Sensitive personal information, such as about your health, ethnic origin and other demographics, can help us tailor our services to your needs and make sure you get the very best help from the course. The data, always anonymised, will also help us with research, raising awareness about our services, and improving our understanding about gambling in Great Britain.