From joining our weekly Money Themed Chatroom to setting up a bank gambling block, we are sharing ideas to help you ‘Do One Thing’ for Talk Money Week (6 – 10 November 2023).
Talk Money Week, run by the Money and Pensions Service, is an opportunity for everyone across the UK to have more open conversations about their money – and to continue these conversations year-round.
This year’s Talk Money Week theme is Do One Thing that could help improve your financial wellbeing. It doesn’t have to be something huge, taking that first small step can make all the difference.
Need help getting started? We’ve got some ideas for you:
- Join our weekly Money Themed Chatroom. Every Wednesday from 6pm-7pm, our themed chatroom opens as a safe space to share your money worries and discuss practical steps you can take to improve your situation.
- Talk to our Money Guidance Service which offers one-to-one budgeting and financial support for people who experience gambling harms. To find out about getting referred, call our Helpline on 0808 8020 133.
- Read our factsheets on managing your money. From tracking your spending and controlling your credit rating to debt advice and managing your household expenses, our factsheets share a wealth of helpful information.
- Speak with your bank about how they can help. Most banks offer additional support and a bank gambling block. These are a free tool that can help get your gambling under control by blocking gambling transactions. Find out more about bank gambling blocks.
- Connect with people using our forum. Join our forum’s supportive community and share your experiences and worries – you’re not alone.
- Speak to a free debt advice agency. Being in debt can make you feel isolated and it can often feel like there is no way out. It’s important to remember that you’re not alone in this situation. Find trusted debt advice organisations.
- Get started with TalkBanStop. A combination of practical tools and support to help you stop gambling and maintain a successful recovery journey. Find out more about TalkBanStop.
- Talk to someone you trust about your relationship with money and gambling. We understand this is easier said than done, but speaking to a friend or loved one about any concerns you may be having can help lighten your load.
- Worried about giving or lending money to someone who gambles? Read our blog exploring this or talk to someone from our Helpline on 0808 8020 133.
We hope something from this list will inspire you to get talking about money and Do One Thing as a step towards improving your financial wellbeing.
If you need support right now for your gambling or someone else’s, our Helpline is available 24/7. Talk to one of our advisers free and confidentially on the phone or via live chat.