What is self-exclusion?
Self-exclusion is a process when you can ask a gambling operator to exclude you from gambling with them for a set length of time – usually between six months and five years. In practice, it means you will be refused service in the venues where you have self-excluded. By law, this must be provided as an option by gambling operators in the UK.
Responsibility for sticking with this lies with you, but you can expect the operator to do all they reasonably can to help you. If you think self-exclusion could work for you, make sure you exclude yourself from all the places where you may be tempted to gamble.
You may have noticed that during the time you have been gambling, you have favourite venues or websites. There are many reasons for this, here are a few some of our callers have mentioned:
- It’s the closest one to where I live
- I like the staff
- I like the environment
- I won big there
If you have difficulty staying away from the venue or website, try self-excluding while you seek additional help. Self-exclusion on its own might not be enough, but it can support you in your recovery.
How do I self-exclude?
New multi-operator schemes are being introduced across the five main sectors of the gambling industry to allow you to exclude yourself from each of those forms of gambling across the whole of Great Britain. To find out more about these schemes visit Opt-in to Self-Exclude.
Self-exclusion from one arcade, betting shop or casino:
- Visit the venue you want to self-exclude from
- Speak to the shop manager or a member of staff, let them know you want to self-exclude
- You don’t need to take any money, bank or credit cards with you
- Take a couple of passport size photos to go on the form; this can help the staff to identify you
- You will be given a copy of the self-exclusion form for your records
Self-exclusion from more than one bookmaker/betting shop in your area:
To self-exclude from more than one shop or a number of different companies in your area, call 0800 294 2060. Please note this scheme is not operated by GamCare.
To view and download a copy of the Terms and Conditions go to: www.self-exclusion.co.uk
Casino ‘SENSE’ scheme - Self Exclusion from all UK casinos
To self-exclude from all land based UK Casinos, please visit:
www.playingsafe.org.uk/sense-information (for the information page).
www.playingsafe.org.uk/downloads (for the enrolment form and leaflet page).
Self-exclusion from UK bingo venues:
For more information on self-excluding from all land-based bingo venues in the UK, please visit the Bingo Association website.
Remote Gambling: Online via PC, Laptop, Smartphone or Tablet
- Go to the website of the operator with whom you have an account. Find the page called 'Responsible Gambling'.
- If you cannot find out how to self-exclude, or if this is not an option (i.e. how you can close the account), then contact their customer services team over the phone, via email or live chat.
- If you don’t want to revisit the website again, for fear of temptation to gamble, please visit the Remote Gambling Association (RGA) website. You will see a list of RGA members and their contact details for self-exclusion.
Should I do anything else?
I'd like to continue to gamble but more responsibly - what can I do?
Generally we'd recommend a complete break from gambling if you have a problem controlling it. However, you could think about setting limits for yourself on the sites you gamble on, if you would like to gamble more responsibly. Take a look at www.gambleaware.co.uk for more information on responsible gambling.
Was this page useful? Yes