142 days gamble free

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jamie2305)
Topic starter

I just want to share my recovery success over the last 5 months. So my gambling had got out of hand to the point where I almost lost everything. Gambling had cost me my job, my car, everything I had in the bank, debt on credit cards and also the trust of my Family. I turned to the gamcare live chat for help the advisor was really helpful and sent me an email with resources I could use to help start my recovery. I knew I had to stop gambling for the pain I put people in around me but most importantly I had to stop gambling for myself so I could get out of this mess I put myself in. From there I then opened a gamstop account and self excluded myself for the maximum duration of 5 years, I then contacted NECA to get set up with a councillor for regular phone call appointments this was really helpful and put me at ease. I then contacted GA for additional support and I found the meetings really helpful and everyone in the GA group was really supportive towards each other and ultimately GA has been the golden ticket towards my recovery and I plan to attend my meetings for the long term. Although getting to and from my meetings hasn’t been easy due to being reliant on public transport and the meeting venue not being covered by a bus route. However I didn’t let this stop me attending meetings and I still made it to all my meetings somehow it was a massive struggle for me luckily for me the GA group recognised my issue and how stressful this was for me and they agreed to take me home each week I was highly greatful for this for them to take that stress away from me and making it easy for me to attend meetings. Now 5 months on and not having gambled since speaking to the gamcare advisor, NECA and GA i am now starting to build my life back up to how it used to be before my gambling became an issue. I am now driving my own car again so no more public transport and I have recently gained 2 new jobs working for Argos and Morrisons but most importantly my bank cards and everything have now been returned to me and I can now comfortably use them without any compulsion to gamble. I now have things to show for the hard work I have put in for my recovery. I can’t thank everyone enough for the support I have received everything has been a massive help for me from Gamcare, NECA, GA And friends and family. 

Posted : 13th March 2022 1:07 pm
spendspendspend
(@spendspendspend)

Well done you I joined gam care as well self excluded from internet so could not gamble online but tonight spent £1,000 on slots at my local bingo which I could not really afford but on the way out asked to see the manager and self excluded on the way out the last step for me x

Posted : 13th March 2022 9:02 pm
(@gerard-g)

You are truly an inspiration to us all. So happy for you. Keep up the good work.

Posted : 14th March 2022 10:52 am

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close