Time to sort my life out

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

hi everyone

Im new to this and just signed up. Il start by saying a little about me then I want to try and start a diary everyday or 2 days with updates of how I’m doing, I’m hoping this will help with the stopping

I began gambling when i was 16 I had a job in a shop and every week when I got paid it would be straight in the pubs slot machines, sometimes I would find myself putting £200/300 in a machine that only had a £50/100 jackpots! most weeks I would find myself with no money a day after I got paid

Now I’m 28 earning a lot more money and still doing the same things I did when I was 16!

I had stopped for about a year when I saved money up to buy a house etc but recently it’s worse then ever before

Last week I had £90 on me and went on a fobt and somehow won £1500 I took it straight out and put it in my bank, telling myself it’s in the bank it’s safe.

But then this week i went to online gambling something that I’ve never really done as much,

Online is even worse then fobts, fobts you physically take money out and put it in a machine you can kind of see what your ding (even thiu I’ve felt like a zombie feeding the machine before) online Though is a lot worse for me I don’t really register money as money to me it’s just a number on the screen I type a few buttons and the number goes up to play more, I ended up losing the £1500! Then chased it with another £1500 playing silly £10/2” spins I’ve never done before thinking (just one win could get me back level) but it never did I’m now £3000 down in 2 days and feel mortified how I could let that happen. So I came to gamecare to see if I can try and learn from people and help myself.

I am going to be trying to keep a diary Of every other day trying not to gamble my feelings each time and try to reach 100 days not gambling to begin with and then continue from there for another 100 etc. I WANT TO BEAT THIS

Posted : 30th November 2017 12:41 pm
SB28
 SB28
(@sb28)

Hi Billy,

Welcome to GamCare. Really pleased to have you in here ☺

Gambling is nasty addiction. We have a compulsion and unfortunately we just cannot stop when we start. We will never win as rational thinking goes outta window and NO win is ever enough. Simple as...we keep on going till we are stripped down to nothing.

Good news: there is help available ☺. You made the first step in admitting the problem!
Good decision in staying close by this site. Read as many threads as you can, there is a lot of wisdom in these pages.
Please put some practical measures to stop you from gambling. Self exclusions, blocking software (I use GamBan on my phone and it's cheap and good protection).
GC also offers free counselling sessions and if you want to go a little further - the door of GA is always open. Likeminded folks in 3D life will definitely help you to get on the right path.

Commitment, honesty and hard work is required.

You seem to want to get better and it's all in your hands. You're not alone.

Keep making the right choices one day at a time. Things will definitely get better.

Welcome to your recovery, stay safe and keep posting ☺

Sandra

Posted : 30th November 2017 1:05 pm
Dre
 Dre
(@dre)

Did you manage to stay gambling free?

Posted : 1st February 2019 1:14 am

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close