Support us

FROM HERE TO A YEAR  

Page 1 / 3

CM3003
(@cm3003)

Hi all,

Was last here back in April having just completed 5 months gamble free. I am 28 and have been gambling since I was 20, those 5 months were the longest I have managed without a bet, I only bet on football.

Since April I have tracked my gambling and have lost £600, not a lot but £200 of that has come in the last 10 days and I can feel myself getting sucked in again.

From Nov 17 -Apr 18 I kept a diary on here and updated it everyday and to me it helped a lot in me staying clear of this horrible addiction.

Before I started my diary In November I worked out I that I lost on average £2500 a year since 2014, a lot of money to me. That is equivalent to £49 a week , £7 a day and what helped last time was I added up each day what I would have spent gambling and I will do the same this time round.

I managed 5 months last time and I know it will be difficult but aiming for a year this time round.

My last bet was on Wednesday so my first entry tomorrow will be day 3

Posted : 24th August 2018 10:31 pm
CM3003
(@cm3003)

Saturdays will be my hardest day to get through at first. If only I could just stick to a £5 accumulator but that is never the way, always want more and when I win more I only lose it again.

The main problem for me is boredom, I need to come up with a new hobby to take my mind completly off gambling.

Will be hard first week or so but as I found in my first diary it does get easier, one day at a time

Day 3 : £21.00

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25th August 2018 12:34 am
CM3003
(@cm3003)

Yesterday was tough.

Somehow watched football and the live scores without placing a bet.

I did go on a couple of sites I must admit but I self excluded on both of them rather then gamble.

There are just so many bookies online now which causes so much temptation.

I admitted to my girlfriend yesterday that i had been struggling with the urges lately and feel better now that I have told someone. She knows about my gambling and does stick by me, luckily it has never got majorly out of hand.

Will keep busy today, gym , family , anything to just keep me busy and to help me forget gambling.

Day 4 £28.00

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26th August 2018 12:10 am
CM3003
(@cm3003)

Busy day today so not much chance of even thinking about gambling. Week off holiday this week , usually go away for 3 or 4 nights but not this time so will have to come up with ways to keep busy.

Day 5 £35.00

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27th August 2018 1:27 am
CM3003
(@cm3003)

Was quite difficult yesterday. Didnt have any plans so a lot of it thinking about gambling and ignoring the temptations. Was close to backing another goal in the Man Utd vs Spurs match at 0-2, yes it would have won but I only would have lost it eventually (I keep reminding myself of that).

Bit more of a busier day today which helps. Not missing the stress and anxiety gambling causes me one bit.

Day 6 £42.00

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28th August 2018 12:52 am
Reminder
(@reminder)

Hi CM3003,

Good job on telling your girlfriend and posting here. Hopefully it will keep you from gambling as now you have made it known that you want to and should stop.

I also did quite a bit of sports betting in the past. I also tracked my results and seeing how much I lost was a real eye opener.

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as an innocent small bet. Chances are it will lead you back to betting bigger and bigger again and you know how it ends.

Keep on going. Eventually you will also realize that watching the games is a lot more fun when you are not anxious about your bets.

Stay strong!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28th August 2018 11:48 am
CM3003
(@cm3003)

Hi there,

Yes I am now self excluded from all my bookmakers online. I still find myself going on them though and checking, just a habit that will slowly fade the longer I go gamble free.

The amount of times in the past I would ‘only’ deposit £10 and that has turned into me losing a couple hundred pounds in a few days due to chasing, its just not worth it and need to keep telling myself that I am winning the longer I dont place a bet

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28th August 2018 1:35 pm
Reminder
(@reminder)

Well done on self excluding. If you can find the strength I would advise to also stop checking odds and stuff. It will only trigger your thoughts on gambling.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28th August 2018 2:09 pm
CM3003
(@cm3003)

Wasnt too bad yesterday, kept myself busy. Did at times though find myself online checking odds and seeing what I fancied betting on, helps a lot being self excluded everywhere at the moment so wasnt on there long.

Day 7 £49.00

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29th August 2018 10:04 am
CM3003
(@cm3003)

Good day yesterday, only checked my phone once or twice to see the latest odds, hopefully manage a day soon where I dont check at all and stick to it. I have self excluded for at least one year on all my online bookies I used.

Busy day planned today, hotel booked down London tonight, walk over the o2 in the afternoon then out for dinner. Just keep taking it day by day.

Day 8 £56.00

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30th August 2018 12:24 am
Tb1010
(@tb1010)

Good job CM - try to not check the odds as if you're like me this only starts the urge. I've actually got rid of my smart phone and got a brick that has no internet access to avoid this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30th August 2018 11:59 am
CM3003
(@cm3003)

Well done getting rid of the phone, I would too but need it for everything else.

Didnt check at all yesterday as had very busy day. That is the main thing for me, keeping busy as a lot of my gambling is when I am bored.

Day 9 £63.00

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31st August 2018 12:59 pm
CM3003
(@cm3003)

Wasnt as difficult as I thought it would be today. Watched the live scores without too much thinking of having a bet, was actually nice not having any stress or even thinking about gambling while it was on for once.

Day 10 £70.00

ReplyQuote
Posted : 1st September 2018 8:26 pm
CM3003
(@cm3003)

Busy day today, will watch Arsenal hopefully beat Cardiff then family bbq in afternoon. Feeling good and no real urges to have a bet, keep reminding myself I cannot win

Day 11 £77.00

ReplyQuote
Posted : 2nd September 2018 9:06 am
Donna2501
(@donna2501)

You are doing great, strength will come with each and every day!

Dx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 2nd September 2018 12:33 pm
Page 1 / 3