First day

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

First night on the site and first day ahead of the fight of my life against this cruel overpowering illness . First day ahead of no lies first day ahead of fighting these urges . Reading people's storys tonight for 3 hours I now feel human and not a Martian so many people having these issues like me and seeing all the support and messages from other people who are going through this or been through gives me faith that not all humans are horrible . Because how I feel now is horrible week a liar and I'm tired of this and the first time in my life I want to stop no one asking or telling me to get help I want to . Which is something I've never felt I've gambled 19 years out of my 30 years and I've caused pain relationship breakups and family fallout all over my addiction please give me some advice or surrport I have said before I'm.never betting again and still do but I'm so wanting this site to be my saviour I should of found it 19 years ago 🙁

Posted : 20th March 2019 2:55 am
(@Anonymous)

Mat,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making the first step to improving your life and erradication gambling from your life.

This forum is full of people just like you who arrived here without hope and in a state of dissaray only to completely turn their lives around. I always believe the journey of recovery is most difficult at the beginning because the thoughts of gambling are at the forefront of our minds however, once we negotiate the first weeks weeks of recovery things become easier and the thoughts of gambling hold less and less power over us. We start to see the benefits of not gambling whether that be financial, mental or emotional. We see improvements in our relationships and more than anything we have time to give to the people we love and time to do the things that we love.

Other members can advise you on Gamstop and self exclusion. For me, the most important thing is to limit you access to money during the initial period. If you don't carry money and/or bank cards you can't gamble. Don't trust yourself to not gamble make it impossible to gamble. It doesn't need to be this way forever but it is vital in the beginning. On here we refer to this as putting blocks in place.

Other than that, come to your diary and post your thoughts and the kind people of the forum will no doubt offer you help and support.

Take care.

Tomso.

Posted : 20th March 2019 12:43 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Tomso wrote:

Mat,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making the first step to improving your life and erradication gambling from your life.

This forum is full of people just like you who arrived here without hope and in a state of dissaray only to completely turn their lives around. I always believe the journey of recovery is most difficult at the beginning because the thoughts of gambling are at the forefront of our minds however, once we negotiate the first weeks weeks of recovery things become easier and the thoughts of gambling hold less and less power over us. We start to see the benefits of not gambling whether that be financial, mental or emotional. We see improvements in our relationships and more than anything we have time to give to the people we love and time to do the things that we love.

Other members can advise you on Gamstop and self exclusion. For me, the most important thing is to limit you access to money during the initial period. If you don't carry money and/or bank cards you can't gamble. Don't trust yourself to not gamble make it impossible to gamble. It doesn't need to be this way forever but it is vital in the beginning. On here we refer to this as putting blocks in place.

Other than that, come to your diary and post your thoughts and the kind people of the forum will no doubt offer you help and support.

Take care.

Tomso.

Posted : 20th March 2019 3:45 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Tomso thanks for your message my freind was really nice to read it's my first day today that I've woke up and have not gambled in a long time the urge was there . As u said at first I will get these string urges to go back but I'm 100 per cent into bettering my life as of from last night . It's the first time in my life I feel so fed up and tired of letting myself down and others close to me . I have blocks in place now in my local bookies and on all gamstop sites . Also I have handed over my finances to my mum as I don't trust myself with cash at the moment. My mum is 100 behind me and is so proud I finally have realised I have a problem and it's not healthy for anyone . But reading surrport and guidance from people like yourself who have lived this horrible thing just gives me more hope . It's nearly 3pm andbstill feel that weird boredom feeling I feel when don't have a bet on but makes me feel anxious thinking about gambling just in general now . But I'm gonna keep busy today and tommorw will be day 2 then many more gamble free days a long fight ahead but I'm.not letting myself or my family down first time ever I've got the urges and not bet so that's a start am.gonna use this diary with honesty and hopefully get positive words from good people like you . Thanks ...Matt 🙂

Posted : 20th March 2019 3:54 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

First day over still felt the boredom feeling and pointlessness that's how I feel when I don't have a bet on its pathetic . But tonight I've aired everything with my family and parents and there happy that I've seeked the helped by myself I have my first counciling session tomoz 20th November I will remember this day in years to come and hopefully think that's the day I stoped my life from being full of lies and deceit all due to gambling . Hope it all well and having strength with your battles .. Matt 🙂

Posted : 20th March 2019 8:09 pm

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close