100 day challenge........please join me :)

24 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
dsh1986
(@dsh1986)
Topic starter

Evening all, 

This is my 3rd time back here having made the mistake of thinking I can contain my gambling addiction. Like I'm sure lots of people here can attest to lockdown has been a real challenge and I've slowly felt things getting away from me, gambling to kill time. Having saved up some money in the 1st few months (lucky enough to continue working) I've gone and blown it all over the last week....a familiar feeling. 

I've completed a daily log before with great success, helping me channel my thoughts whilst making me accountable for my actions. I'm starting a 100 day challenge TONIGHT, and I invite anybody here to join me. Please feel free to update your thoughts and feelings with me. The more support we can give each other the easier this will become 🙂 

Dean

Posted : 5th July 2020 10:54 pm
(@kezzatyke12)

Hello there, sorry to hear about yourself getting back into gambling, I myself have found lockdown to be incredibly difficult, and after going 40 days clean prior to lockdown for the first time in 3 years I’ve also had quite a big lapse. 
This is the first time I’ve ever re-lapsed, it’s possibly more hurtful than originally coming to terms with having a gambling problem. 
Your post caught my eye and I thought it would a be a great idea to potentially log progress on hear on a weekly basis maybe as a way of highlight progress, and as a point of call should the urge to gamble again come forward. 

best regards, 

kieran 

Posted : 6th July 2020 3:14 pm
Forum admin
(@forum-admin)
Admin

Dear @dsh1986

Thank you for posting and sharing your thoughts.

I can understand your frustration at your recent lapse but please try not to be too hard on yourself about this. Lapses are common and from how you explain that you are starting a ‘100 day challenge’ you seem determined to put that behind you and move forward with your recovery.

It’s great to see that you are taking such positive steps and I know that your challenge will be supported by those on the forum.  

It would be good to for you to talk with one of our Advisers, if you haven’t already as they will be able to help you achieve your goal.

The helpline number is 0808 8020 133 or you can use the netline. We are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week to offer you our support.

Kind regards

Jo

Forum Admin

Posted : 6th July 2020 9:55 pm
(@bladesman)

Hi, sorry to hear about your relapse, i joined nearly 4 weeks ago after my wife found out about my gambling. Things have been tough since then but we are working a way through it. I have now had 2 counselling calls and feel very positive but your post shows i have to be careful and not get complacent. Today is day 26 since i last gambled and i have no urge to do so. It feels really good to wake up and not want to gamble so hopefully i can continue. I will keep you up to date with my progress and 100 days is a good target for me to aim for. Thanks 

Posted : 7th July 2020 10:10 am
dsh1986
(@dsh1986)
Topic starter

Posted by: Kezzatyke12

Hello there, sorry to hear about yourself getting back into gambling, I myself have found lockdown to be incredibly difficult, and after going 40 days clean prior to lockdown for the first time in 3 years I’ve also had quite a big lapse. 
This is the first time I’ve ever re-lapsed, it’s possibly more hurtful than originally coming to terms with having a gambling problem. 
Your post caught my eye and I thought it would a be a great idea to potentially log progress on hear on a weekly basis maybe as a way of highlight progress, and as a point of call should the urge to gamble again come forward. 

best regards, 

kieran 

Hi Kieran

Thanks for sharing your story. I agree that relapse is a more difficult pill to swallow. The silver lining for me however is that I've been there before and now know I can get through the very tough early days - hopefully you feel the same...... it pays to be kind to yourself ?

I'll be checking in daily where possible as it keeps me focused, and I'd love to hear your success story progress. Stay strong ?

Posted : 7th July 2020 3:02 pm
dsh1986
(@dsh1986)
Topic starter

Posted by: Bladesman

Hi, sorry to hear about your relapse, i joined nearly 4 weeks ago after my wife found out about my gambling. Things have been tough since then but we are working a way through it. I have now had 2 counselling calls and feel very positive but your post shows i have to be careful and not get complacent. Today is day 26 since i last gambled and i have no urge to do so. It feels really good to wake up and not want to gamble so hopefully i can continue. I will keep you up to date with my progress and 100 days is a good target for me to aim for. Thanks 

Hi Bladesman

Opening up to my partner lifted a huge weight off my shoulders so your story really resonates with me. The most difficult thing for me is knowing that this is engrained in me now - I achieved over 400 days gamble free when I initially gave up and made the mistake of thinking I could control it again. It's a lifelong commitment, and complacency was my biggest mistake. Lesson learned the hard way!

I look forward to hearing about your journey, and I'd love to follow your progress. Stay strong ?

Posted : 7th July 2020 3:08 pm
dsh1986
(@dsh1986)
Topic starter

Posted by: Forum admin

Dear @dsh1986

Thank you for posting and sharing your thoughts.

I can understand your frustration at your recent lapse but please try not to be too hard on yourself about this. Lapses are common and from how you explain that you are starting a ‘100 day challenge’ you seem determined to put that behind you and move forward with your recovery.

It’s great to see that you are taking such positive steps and I know that your challenge will be supported by those on the forum.  

It would be good to for you to talk with one of our Advisers, if you haven’t already as they will be able to help you achieve your goal.

The helpline number is 0808 8020 133 or you can use the netline. We are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week to offer you our support.

Kind regards

Jo

Forum Admin

Hi Jo

Thank you for taking the time to show your support, I really appreciate your help. This diary helps keep me accountable and I found it really helped last time.

Thank you also for providing the contact information. I'll be sure to utilise the help on offer ?

Dean

Posted : 7th July 2020 3:12 pm
dsh1986
(@dsh1986)
Topic starter

Got through yesterday which makes today Day 2 of being gamble free. Hopefully you guys and girls had the same success.

Stay strong

Dean

Posted : 7th July 2020 3:14 pm
(@bladesman)

Hi Dean, well done, what really amazed me when I registered on here was the fact there are loads of us going through the same experience for one reason or another when you think you are alone with this. I had kept it secret for 5 years and my wife finding out is probably the best thing that could have happened because if she hadn't I would still be chucking money away. It has knocked her for 6 though but she has been amazing. I registered with Gamstop the very same day and she has taken over all our accounts, changing all passwords online and cancelling my cards. I now have Betblocker on my phone which is great and the 2 counselling sessions have been really good being able to talk to someone without being judged and getting out how I feel about everything. We are trying to work out how to pay off the cards I used, but it is the emotional side gaining back trust that will take a very long time. Today is day 27 and feeling good. As you say you have done over a year before so you know the first few days and weeks are the hardest.Your post has made me more determined to not become complacent so thanks for sharing and keep going. 

Posted : 7th July 2020 4:35 pm
dsh1986
(@dsh1986)
Topic starter

Day 3 today and another positive day. Feeling strong so far, and long may that continue ?

Posted : 8th July 2020 8:09 pm
dsh1986
(@dsh1986)
Topic starter

Evening all

4th night down. Strange really, feeling great at the moment with hardly a thought given to gambling. Keeping mind and body active which is paying dividends in these early days ?

Stay strong peeps

Posted : 9th July 2020 10:40 pm
dsh1986
(@dsh1986)
Topic starter

Day 5 almost complete and another positive day. Probably the 1st time my resolve has been tested this week with some urges but came straight here to remind myself what I'm leaving behind. I'm sure the 1st weekend is bound to bring challenges but I've booked in a lot of time with the family to focus on those that matter most. 

Have a great weekend all and stay strong 

Posted : 10th July 2020 8:10 pm
(@bladesman)

Well done, sounds like you are really determined to put this behind you. Keep thinking positive and have a good gamble free weekend. Day 30 for me tomorrow!

Posted : 10th July 2020 11:27 pm
dsh1986
(@dsh1986)
Topic starter

Posted by: Bladesman

Well done, sounds like you are really determined to put this behind you. Keep thinking positive and have a good gamble free weekend. Day 30 for me tomorrow!

Congrats on 30 days! A full month is a great achievement, well done.

Today is Day 7 for me and after a lovely weekend I'm more determined than ever. 

Enjoy what's left of your weekend all. 

This post was modified 4 years ago by dsh1986

Posted : 12th July 2020 5:21 pm
dsh1986
(@dsh1986)
Topic starter

Hi all

Sorry for lack of updates but just checking in to say 26 days gamble free. I really feel the 1st 2 weeks are the most difficult by far as urges are very infrequent at present. 

Those urges are a creeper though so keeping myself busy!

Stay strong all

Dean

Posted : 31st July 2020 9:36 pm
Page 1 / 2

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close