Lost £9,000 CFD/Spread Betting - Advice Please

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Hi all,

Many thanks in advance for reading this post.

Over a period of two months, I have recently lost £9,000 of my £11,000 life savings by trading (gambling in actuality) with CFDs on the price fluctuations of Bitcoin; this is obviously a highly risky strategy. For those unaware, Contract For Difference (CFD) trading is extremely similar to spread betting. I am deeply regretful because my actions, which began as a simple £300 experiment, turned into a £9,000 loss due to impulsive trading behaviours, such as panic selling and then buying back again in an idiotic cycle. I feel as though I deserve to be punished, to be honest. Upon reflection, it is obvious that I fell for the seduction of greed (i.e., I wanted to substantially increase the £11,000 savings for future retirement purposes, and I got badly burned because of my actions).

I am aware that time will heal this loss; however, losing £9,000 is a very painful experience and it is raw at present. Luckily, I had the insight to stop my foolish trading behaviours when I had £2,000 out of the £11,000 of my own money remaining; I have not accumulated any debt — no credit cards or loans. Furthermore, I am aware that, in the grand scheme of things, my £9,000 loss is quite marginal in comparison with the huge sums that certain unfortunate people have lost: for example, £200,000 on the horrendous FOBT machines. Also, I wish to confirm that I do not have a compulsion to "chase losses"; I intend to take on extra work to make the £9,000 back.

I would be grateful if fellow members could inform me of the following: how do you psychologically deal with your losses? It seems to me that it is merely a case of accepting the mistakes, moving on and ensuring that the same mistakes are never repeated (and to NEVER chase losses).

Many thanks again.

Best wishes.

Posted : 24th March 2018 11:08 pm
(@Anonymous)

I postponed my vacations. And someone advised me in this forum to take it as a past expense. I think it is a reasonable thought. However, the thought about the losses come back and haunt me from time to time. But I try to look at the bigger picture that I will save up my money again in one year so that I can enjoy the current moment. Good luck to you.

Posted : 25th March 2018 12:12 am
(@sjw1974)

Take it as a lesson, never ever do it again I’ve lost £250+ k over 15 years spreadbetting and still fight the urge 

Posted : 12th June 2020 4:15 pm

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close