Gambled since 1999...

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@sinceninetyeight)
Topic starter

How do people just "stop" 

I am "lucky" I have plenty of savings, high equity in my home, cars and a FT job, no actual gambling debt...BUT...

I lie, to my partner who HATES my gambling, HATES the transactions. I have gambled weekly online for pretty much the whole period since 2002 and I dont know any other way. Horses, football, accas. My saturdays, get a paper, watch the build up place my accas and singles and watch ITV Racing and Soccer Special - win or lose, I then look at Saturday...then Tuesday nights footie, wednesday, then again on Fri and back to the Saturday. The silly 2+ goals, seems to easy and I always get drawn in.

AFTER so long, how do I replace the "buzz" - I don't really have that, it's more out of habit and bordem - which says alot about me. I used to be happy, positive and social, I have become lazy/overweight, anxious and a social recluse - gambling is my "escape" 

After all these years, I want to change, maybe 1 acca a weekend, but more for "fun" or does it have to be all or nothing??!! How and what can I do to break the weekly cycle/habit? 

Any advice and suggestions welcome. 

Posted : 27th October 2021 10:20 pm
c43h
 c43h
(@c43h)

Challenge as many people on here to stay of gambling for 1 week. Then have a go. 1 week of your life you should be able to do something different. If you cant do it for 1 week try 3 days. if not for 3 days try 1 day. 

If you say that you can or can not you will be right in both things. The only person on the planet hat can hold you back or throw you forward, is you. You may search a thousand threads here but they are only an audience. You must make the choices. Ask if you want to. Some people gamble just because they can or cant be bothered with that change. Ultimately it is always your own decision. Your own mental movie and if you are here I sense that you are not totally satisfied with whats on the screen atm.

Change if you want to it is easier than you think once you decide to make the change.

Best

C

Posted : 28th October 2021 9:47 am
c43h
 c43h
(@c43h)

1 note I forgot earlier. The longer you play the more miserable you become. How fun are those wins? How complacent dont you become? 

Every 100 pounds you manage to win is a trained in action. You then need more 100 wins just to fill that gap. Then you get into the thousands. Same thing. It looses the sting. Then you start getting more excited about the near wins. The industry knows this. Everything from a slot to the roulette is designed and bent to that nature. The near win or near miss. Suddenly you have several thousand people praying to the roulette lady. As she has anything to do with it? I think not its AI rigged to perfection and it pumps in millions as we zombies can not seem to find anything else to do?

In the end of the day. Any change is YOUR OWN. No one changes your reality but you. And lf you look at the monkey go round above That is really insanity in a box.

If we had any sens at all it should be banned burned and buried under a deep stone at the bottom of an ocean some where so people can go back to being alive.

Sorry about the rant.

Best

C

Posted : 28th October 2021 10:35 pm
(@maxmaher)

You made a post here 3 months ago saying exactly the same thing and asking exactly the same questions

The answers wouldn't have changed

Posted : 29th October 2021 9:28 am
Detrimental
(@detrimental)

Posted by: sinceninetyeight

How do people just "stop" 

I am "lucky" I have plenty of savings, high equity in my home, cars and a FT job, no actual gambling debt...BUT...

I lie, to my partner who HATES my gambling, HATES the transactions. I have gambled weekly online for pretty much the whole period since 2002 and I dont know any other way. Horses, football, accas. My saturdays, get a paper, watch the build up place my accas and singles and watch ITV Racing and Soccer Special - win or lose, I then look at Saturday...then Tuesday nights footie, wednesday, then again on Fri and back to the Saturday. The silly 2+ goals, seems to easy and I always get drawn in.

AFTER so long, how do I replace the "buzz" - I don't really have that, it's more out of habit and bordem - which says alot about me. I used to be happy, positive and social, I have become lazy/overweight, anxious and a social recluse - gambling is my "escape" 

After all these years, I want to change, maybe 1 acca a weekend, but more for "fun" or does it have to be all or nothing??!! How and what can I do to break the weekly cycle/habit? 

Any advice and suggestions welcome. 

Maybe just grow up - respect your partner & yourself a little more?

Sorry to sound mean, but I've been though these stages myself and controlled gambling never works - just take the plunge and stop. Yes, you will miss the buzz for a while, but surely you will find something else to give you a buzz. It's not like hobby/leisure opportunities a scarce.

Posted : 29th October 2021 12:21 pm
JackRussell&Chips
(@jackrussellchips)

I'm sorry, but you have plenty of savings and large amount of equity in your home...

In other words you're not a gambling addict. You don't even have a gambling problem as you're clearly living well within your means.

I was a gambling addict for twenty-five years and it destroyed my life. Throughout my life as a gambler I didn't have a pot to **** in or a window to throw it out of. Addicts will identify with this, they won't identify with your tale.

I suggest you find another hobby.

Posted : 29th October 2021 12:44 pm
c43h
 c43h
(@c43h)

Picked up a good line from a guy called Albert Ellis.

Reality is not so much what happens to us: rather, it is how we think about those events that create the reality we experience, in a very real sense, this means that we each create the reality in which we live.

A lot of answers can be found by just getting to know yourself a bit better.

Posted : 30th October 2021 8:23 am

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close