GamCare Logo
1454 posts / 0 new
Last post
Posted on:
Tue, 15/08/2017 - 22:23

Mixer

Hi Moorey,

I have been given this a lot of thought and I am tempted to restart. To do so, though I've need to honestly answer some hard-hitting questions, and here's what I've come up with, along with my answers:

Mixer, you let people down last time. What if you do the same this time?

I did let some good people down. I achknowledge this and regret it. I was in a bad place and although I said I'd stop in advance (a couple of days), it was still rather sudden. My reasons were good - trust me  - but I regret not returning and lapsing into bad ways. I won't do that again, if I start this up again, I'll keep it going this time. (What I perhaps regret most is the negative message it sent out, but I have learned from this. Running a challenge has implied responsibility.)

Is it an ego trip? After all, there's a very established (2017) challenge already in place.

No, it most certainly isn't. I would be mortified if anyone thought it was. All I want to do is use some of my spare non-gambling time in a fun, constructive way and maintaining an alternative challenge like this I find personally rewarding and, like so many of us, isn't it great to help others in the same boat if we can?  (The 2017 Challenge is the "daddy"; I have tons of respect for its organisers.)

But what about you, Mixer. Are you neglecting your own recovery?

I think it's the opposite, this actually helps aid my recovery. I completed 90 days before, I admit, I started to feel the pressure. I actually felt (a bit) that me hitting 100 would be almost too-good-to-be-true in the eyes of some and I'll confess, I felt I was due to fail. (does that make sense?!) That probably makes no sense, but I won't do that again. This time, I will hit 100 days. And it will be true, real, serious and HONEST. And if I lapse, I will immediately come clean. 

So what approach to the challenge this time?

Anyone who wants to stop can join as before. The rolllcall will be lower key, just a count of the days. The 2017 Challenge is the 'daddy', alway has been going back many years; I'm not an upstart trying to trump it. I just want to stop gambling and this is simply one of many ways that might help us.

As you can see, I'm tempted to start this up again Moorey. Just that if I do, I do it right, and stick at it this time!

Posted on:
Tue, 15/08/2017 - 22:55

DeterminedDan

Mixer wrote:

Hi Moorey,

I have been given this a lot of thought and I am tempted to restart. To do so, though I've need to honestly answer some hard-hitting questions, and here's what I've come up with, along with my answers:

Mixer, you let people down last time. What if you do the same this time?

I did let some good people down. I achknowledge this and regret it. I was in a bad place and although I said I'd stop in advance (a couple of days), it was still rather sudden. My reasons were good - trust me  - but I regret not returning and lapsing into bad ways. I won't do that again, if I start this up again, I'll keep it going this time. (What I perhaps regret most is the negative message it sent out, but I have learned from this. Running a challenge has implied responsibility.)

Is it an ego trip? After all, there's a very established (2017) challenge already in place.

No, it most certainly isn't. I would be mortified if anyone thought it was. All I want to do is use some of my spare non-gambling time in a fun, constructive way and maintaining an alternative challenge like this I find personally rewarding and, like so many of us, isn't it great to help others in the same boat if we can?  (The 2017 Challenge is the "daddy"; I have tons of respect for its organisers.)

But what about you, Mixer. Are you neglecting your own recovery?

I think it's the opposite, this actually helps aid my recovery. I completed 90 days before, I admit, I started to feel the pressure. I actually felt (a bit) that me hitting 100 would be almost too-good-to-be-true in the eyes of some and I'll confess, I felt I was due to fail. (does that make sense?!) That probably makes no sense, but I won't do that again. This time, I will hit 100 days. And it will be true, real, serious and HONEST. And if I lapse, I will immediately come clean. 

So what approach to the challenge this time?

Anyone who wants to stop can join as before. The rolllcall will be lower key, just a count of the days. The 2017 Challenge is the 'daddy', alway has been going back many years; I'm not an upstart trying to trump it. I just want to stop gambling and this is simply one of many ways that might help us.

As you can see, I'm tempted to start this up again Moorey. Just that if I do, I do it right, and stick at it this time!

I think you perhaps put added pressure onto yourself by feeling as though you couldn't afford to lapse yourself, after all the sound advice you gave to everyone else. That's totally understandable! But as I said before, you're human, just like the rest of us. You're not invincible. I think some people on here began to think that. You were a warrior mate! 

I totally agree, I think this challenge helps to aid your recovery, rather than hamper it. It gives you something to focus on and to drive you towards your goal. You've answered your own questions very well. 

Do whatever you feel is best for YOU buddy! If you do start it up again, I'm right with you. 

And if not, then I'll continue to fight this demon with you all the way. 100%. 

Posted on:
Sun, 04/02/2018 - 08:47

Vamp

Day 365 :)

Pages

Pages