You CAN do this!

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Potnoodle
(@potnoodle)
Topic starter

Evening all,

I am now 221 days gamble free.... I’m not cured by any stretch of the imagination, and I never will be.

222 days ago I was in utter turmoil, I couldn’t see a way out, I was completely trapped! Id throw £100s at FOBT waiting for that big win, then when I did win, I’d keep pressing the button until it was all gone. 223 days ago I spent 12 hours straight in the bookies pressing the button, I was £1000 up but carried on playing until my wallet and bank account was empty... no amount of winnings would be enough, nothing made any sense, it was a completely crazy set of behaviours to display, especially by a normally sensible and measured individual.

Something had to change, and so I placed some barriers in place to stop my continued behaviour... I no longer carry s debit card, I only have enough cash for bare essentials, and I have been really clear with myself around the stress gambling causes... it’s not an escape, it’s a hell hole of a prison, it’s solitary confinement of the worst type.

If I can achieve this, anyone can. It’s in your gift to change. Every day that I go without gambling I feel stronger, I can go into pubs without wanting to disappear to the toilets so I can play the fruity on the way back. I can go into service stations and walk straight past the slots.

I’ve had wobbles, don’t get me wrong, but I’ve managed to overcome them. The closest I’ve been to gambling is being pressured into taking part in the Grand National sweep stake at work, £5 to buy an envelope, I’ve not beaten myself up too much about that! I don’t even know which horse I had and where it came!

If you are about to start your journey, have faith in yourself, and believe that brighter days will come, because they will, and you’ll look back at your gambling life, and realise that you can’t afford to go back either emotionally or financially.

Take every day as it comes, and enjoy your life again.

TTFN X

Posted : 17th July 2018 9:56 pm
Forum admin
(@forum-admin)
Admin

Hi Potnoodle,

A big Congratulations on your abstinence for 221 days! Well done you, and also thanks for sharing your achievement with us all. I’m so pleased and happy for you.

You’ve really come a l-o-o-o-n-g way, and to stay focused for that length of time is pure determination to stop gambling. Reading and listening to advice from fellow forum members has also helped in a very positive way. I’m glad that our forum has provided you the platform to work through your gambling problem.

It’s nice of you to come and share and also use your story to encourage others to do same. It proves that hard work and perseverance pays, and that one should reach out for all the help they can get in overcoming problem gambling.

There’s no looking back now since you’ve tasted what it is to be a gamble free person.

Keep up the good work, and please keep posting!

Best wishes,

Beatrice

Posted : 18th July 2018 7:06 pm

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close