From suicidal to 1,504 days gamble free

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Compulsive Gambler
(@compulsive-gambler)
Topic starter

Feels like I've passed a a decent milestone. 

Are you active, trying to stop, if so do you have any questions?

I still regard myself as a compulsive gambler, it's just for today, today I will choose to not gamble

Posted : 18th May 2021 8:19 pm
joannieb
(@joannieb)

Wow!!! Congratulations!! Amazing achievement.. So we'll done!

I'm on day 6.. 

Posted : 18th May 2021 8:49 pm
(@needtogiveup)

Wow well done you! That’s amazing! 

I read a self help book what ever you want to calm them recently called how to unf*k your self it’s amazing he’s so blunt and puts it the way it is he says life is what you choose and if you choose to do the bad habits more fool you kind of thing! 

He says everyday you have a choice to choose what you want to do. And today I CHOOSE not to gamble too! 

take care 

Posted : 18th May 2021 10:17 pm
Compulsive Gambler
(@compulsive-gambler)
Topic starter

Thanks you, yes I totally agree that it's a choice thing. Sometimes we need help to make the better choice but ultimately that is it, a choice, we are able to make, I also, just for today will choose to not gamble 

Posted : 18th May 2021 11:40 pm
(@dave101)

That’s some strong will power, it is most definitely a chose and I also choose not to gamble. 

Posted : 20th May 2021 3:40 am
Compulsive Gambler
(@compulsive-gambler)
Topic starter

Dave101 is it though?  If I had said at the start I won't gamble for 1500 days then maybe, I haven't though, I've just used the same willpower you will use today, the same will power that I will also use today.

As addictive gamblers, we need to make that choice for today, maybe even for the next hour 

We can all make this choice, no matter how deep we are. I was deep, suicidal, under threat from loan sharks.

Just for today, I will choose to not gamble 

Posted : 20th May 2021 9:22 pm
 Loux
(@loux)

Posted by: Compulsive Gambler

Dave101 is it though?  If I had said at the start I won't gamble for 1500 days then maybe, I haven't though, I've just used the same willpower you will use today, the same will power that I will also use today.

As addictive gamblers, we need to make that choice for today, maybe even for the next hour 

We can all make this choice, no matter how deep we are. I was deep, suicidal, under threat from loan sharks.

Just for today, I will choose to not gamble 

Well said i agree!

It is a choice ..that choice often includes help advice support and tools always risk of relapse ..but it ultimately is our choice to prevent it and not act in the moment that is the willpower. 

Lou x

Posted : 20th May 2021 11:47 pm
(@dave101)

Ultimately when we have gone passed the first bet it’s no longer a choice I have found in the past,  until lately as I choose not to continue gambling after a rather sad weekend of it not too long ago.

keeping barriers up is a good idea too imo 

Posted : 25th May 2021 5:46 am
Compulsive Gambler
(@compulsive-gambler)
Topic starter

Hi Dave101 - how are you? 

My willpower was very very rarely strong enough to stop mid session so in that sense I ttoally get what you are saying

With the benefit of hindsight I would now still stick with the point that we still have a choice. before every single bet we still have a choice, we could choose to not place the bet, to walk away at that point 

It is the addicition telling us we dont. 

stay strong and safe

Posted : 30th May 2021 10:00 pm
(@dave101)

Yeah I can understand what you are saying and agree wholesomely. 

how am I? 

I am good thank you, no gambling thoughts and have planned a weekend away with my girlfriend to hopefully iron some things out on both sides.

foriently I am currently savings as well as paying of debts, I am starting to wonder if I should cancel my credit card that I use for rewards, I haven’t used it for gambling at all but I know could be so easy and devastating if I did. I think by the end of this month I may start paying it back and completely cut the card up.

anywho I will try not to use it at all this weekend and stick to a budget.

I hope you have a good weekend far away from thoughts of gambling and enjoying it with loves ones

all the best 

dave101

(note: I am not receiving notifications for my posts, requiring manual check of each subscription)

Posted : 4th June 2021 5:28 am

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close