300 plus days clean.

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

This is officially the longest I've went with out a bet since 2001. Tried plenty of times over the years to stop and cut back. Used to 'stop/quit' before normally after I had lost a lot or more than likely had no money left to gamble. I wasn't actually stopping I just had no money to do so. Biggest turning point for me was reading about addiction in a couple of books. Finally started to understand why I gambled. All about escaping for 90 mins or a day on the horses. Also stopping for other people never worked for me, I finally needed to stop for my self.

I understand I've runnied gambling for myself , once you are a pickle you can never be a cucumber again. So gambling is done for me.

i also bought a jar of pickles wrote the day of the last bet and put them in the fridge. Helps remind me.

another weriod one is listen to Steve o from jackass talk about his addiction recovery on a US radio show. Was a big help to me.

good luck everyone

give the above a try

Posted : 10th August 2018 9:52 pm
Forum admin
(@forum-admin)
Admin

Hi Triedthelot,

Welcome to our forum, and thanks for sharing your success story with us. Also, well done for not giving up trying to overcome your gambling problem. It takes a lot of hard work and patience to finally find out what works for you, and then use it as your anchor whenever you feel the urge to gamble. In your case, it’s the bottle of pickle in your fridge that reminds you of the consequences of gambling problem, and thus helps you to abstain.

If it works for you, do more of it to help yourself overcome this gambling problem.

I also hope that your story will go a long way to encourage others to start doing something about their gambling problem too.

I wish you well in your journey to recovery.

Do try and keep up the good work, and please keep posting!

Regards,

Beatrice

Posted : 12th August 2018 12:03 pm

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close