The 100 Days Club - Would you like to join?

539 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
60.7 K Views
(@boo-radley)

Thank you danpo ?

Posted : 24th January 2020 6:36 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)

Thank you friends for your help but I let the side down badly today but I have started a new diary and fully intend to remain gamble free.

For the time being I am not going to count my days so am leaving the 100 Day Club

Thanks and best wishes to you all and an extra big thank to Mixer for trying to help me.

Stephen x 

Posted : 24th January 2020 8:05 pm
(@mixer)
Topic starter

*** Good evening! ***

Every day is a snapshot

Every now and then we're going to have a bad day.  Contrary to that, we'll have good days too!  But, when we're feeling against it, we can go a little off-kilter.  With the best will in the world, it happens.  And so, Stephen, please don't feel too despondent today.  It happened, you've reminded yourself of the horrible feeling, you are resolved once more, and wiser for it!

Let's look at the positives; 75 days, spanning Christmas without a bet. You had a great Christmas.  And a nice new foot spa!  So, back on the horse, Stephen - we're with you all the way.  I'll take your name off our group,  as you've asked, but you are always with us in spirit.  (And I do recognise that assigning ourselves target dates, especially as we close in to our target, can be a curse or hindrance to some.)

Just to assure ... Stephen, you are very much a loved part of our 100-day club, of Gamcare, of so many of us.  And you are always honest with us which shows your utmost respect for us.  Which we give back in turn, my friend.

Ineffable - I will look out for that book, thank you for the hat tip! And congratulations on 75 days strong.

MikeD - The payday challenge is the first big test usually.  Good to see you've planned for it.

Bigmug - The challenge is how far we are from our next bet - always one day at a time.  That's what matters!

Russ (Mark) - Quite agree your kind words to Stephen.  We are all here together, through thick and thin.

Only a short post tonight; in truth I'm dog-tired!  So off to bed. 

Have a great weekend, everyone, and whether we're starting from today, or from a while ago, let's keep the faith!

"Just for today, I choose not to gamble.  I will consider my strategy, keeping money and access to money out of my mitts!  I will do my best."

Mixer

Posted : 24th January 2020 9:18 pm
(@angel18)

Would like to join 6 days today last bet was 18th January 2020

Posted : 25th January 2020 10:28 am
(@angel18)

I would like to join my last bet was 18th January 2020 6 days

Posted : 25th January 2020 10:35 am
(@mixer)
Topic starter

*** Good morning! ***

It's the weekend!  And for everyone paid monthly, salaries are paid round about now.  This is a key test; you're likely to have a bit of spare money, or a lot, depending on the straits g**ling has put you in.  Do the right thing and keep that money away if you can.  Pare down debts (especially if you have an overdraft - the bank's are about to shunt overdraft interest rates up to a scandalous 40% P.a. in April.)

Buy something you or loved ones need; put a chunk down on a holiday maybe; that commits you to paying the other chunks so you can all enjoy a holiday you can really look forward to!  Dare to book one!

This is a tough month, where Christmas debts and bills need settling.  Get 'em done; February is a 'short' month (just forget it's a leap year!!) and you'll see a bit of daylight at the end of Feb.

Boredom is other cited as a factor when we're going g**ling free.  It's dreary outside, we're stuck inside, a bit skint and needing something to fire us up a bit.  But g**ling it away indoors or out just removes more options from us.  Remember, we never win - we always give it back and more.  Winnings are always 'borrowed' from the b**kies.  Any banknotes we might win might as well have 'Bank of L*db*kes' written on them.

It's good to keep busy.  Let me let you into how I keep busy.  It might give you inspiration.  I know everyone's lives are different; here's mine.

Monday to Friday 

8am - Take the dog for a walk - clears my head; sets me up for the day; a bit of exercise

8.30am - Walk to work (2 miles)

9am - 5pm - Work (gotta be done, such is life)

Once a week - drink with a workmate, and once a week Christian 'Alpha' course at the church. Otherwise:

5-5.30pm  Walk home

5.30 - Another dog walk

6 - Dinner, enjoy time with my wife & son

Either:

Gamcare Group Chat (8pm) or Skype Gambling Group (8pm or 9pm) followed by forum posts etc.

9.30ish - bit of downtime, bed.

Weekend

Saturday - day out with my son.

Sunday - Church, then visit relatives, then home mid-afternoon.

Evenings - Gamcare posts, group Chat, Skype Chat etc.

It's a routine I've gotten into, the busier the better, with 'time outs' for other stuff and having a faith gives me an amazing spiritual boost.

I spend around nearly 2 hours a day on Gamcare or related stuff- I consider it a good investment of my time to help keep me on the straight and narrow.

If you find it useful, why not share your routines?  We all need some inspiration from time to time; you might just have what some of us are looking for!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Mark (russ789) has submitted some excellent posts based on his ongoing experiences with Gamblers' Anonymous and bared his heart and soul to share his journey.

It's a very useful insight indeed into a structured approach to recovery using the well-established GA process.

It's really worth taking the time to have a look.

https://www.gamcare.org.uk/forum/recovery-diaries/you-have-to-give-it-away-to-keep-it/paged/5/#post-1949913

New Member!

Welcome Debbie4, great to have you aboad!  And 6 days in, that's a great foothold from which to really launch your recovery, one day at a time.  We look forward to getting to know you Debbie.

Here we are, all on the path, and if we stumble, just let us know, and we'll support you 100%.  This isn't always a smooth journey.  Stephen, whilst you're not on the list below you are always with us, and if you'd like to rejoin the list, you can do anytime.  We will always welcome you back with open arms.

MikeD – 19th Apr 2020
Zoe – 10th Apr 2020
Bigmug - 29th Apr 2020
Debbie4 – 28th April 2020
Russ (Mark) - 2nd Feb 2020 
Adam123 - Reached target ? new target --> 5th March. 
Franco1875 - 19th Mar 2020 
Spendlikewater84 - Hon. Member! ? 
Ineffable - 21st Feb 2020 
EsoxLucius - 28th Feb 2020 
Mixer - 13th March 2020 
LewisMG - 12th April 2020 
Spendspendspend - Hon. member! ? 
Boo - Hon. Member! Yeesss! ? Extra settling-in period --> 20th Feb! ?
Fighter1 - Hon. Member ! ?
Bertieboo - 10th Mar 2020
Fir tree - 28th Mar 2020
Changing habit - 28th Jan 2020
Danpo 7th Mar 2020
Murlo 11th Feb 2020
Determined to Stop 1st March 2020

This weekend:

"Just for day, I choose not to g**ble.  I don't want those horrible feelings and so today isn't going to be the day."

Mixer

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Mixer

Posted : 25th January 2020 11:25 am
(@lewismg)

Hi everyone. 

STEPHEN, so sorry to hear your news mate! We all stumble and fall, but we have got to get ourselves up again and go again! Take your time to regroup and we will be here for you when you are ready mate!

It takes real strength to be open and tell us Stephen, so don’t give up mate! 

Wishing you all the best and hope to see you back again soon!

LMG

Posted : 25th January 2020 5:43 pm
(@lewismg)

After a long week working long days, I am happy to finally settle down for my weekend with my family, happy that I am 22 days gamble free and so happy about it! 

LMG

Posted : 25th January 2020 5:49 pm
Fighter_1
(@fighter_1)

Hello all,

I’ve been on not so much as of late but just done some catching up and reading.

well done to you all for the great work and the strength you are showing 

tomorrow actually marks my 500 days GF.  I’m not saying that to gloat just demonstrating it’s possible.  We are all at different stages and trust me I was at the lowest of the low a while ago where I didn’t see any light at the end of the tunnel.  It’s been tough,  it’s been challenging but I’ve always used this forum as strength and more so focusing on being a better person for my family.  

keep up the great work and let’s all focus on a GF year of 2020.  

onwards and upwards 

Posted : 25th January 2020 11:58 pm
(@mixer)
Topic starter

*** Good evening! ***

I hope you’ve had a good weekend!  Let’s keep on track for a more fulfilling week ahead.  It’s something we can choose to do!

Russ - thank you for a terrific post and you’re right - g**ling gives us a temporal high.  I could extend that, perhaps, to an artificial high.  Because it’s not real in the sense of being a fulfilling high because of the long low that follows.  Repent at leisure indeed.  By the way, I’m finding reading your posts very instructive and useful.

Ineffable -  Thank you for your post and glad my routine was worth sharing; I’m really going out of my way to keep meaningfully busy. 

I also found your comment about a ‘higher power’ interesting.  The way I see it, whatever our ‘power’ is, whether we’re secular, non-secular, athirst, agnostic, use our conscious, our families alone anything in between - whatever helps us is my view.  We’re all different, unique and that’s the wonderful factor of our lives.  

Fighter1 - Our huge respect to you hitting the 500 day milestone. It can be done but as you infer, not easily done, but you’ve proved it can be done.  Thank you for sharing this fantastic news. 

Lewis - thank you for keeping us all updated; it’s great that you’re choosing life and not misery!

As we close on January, let’s reflect on a month well done.  Even if you’ve had a blip, it doesn’t undo all your good work. It makes you stronger for next time. Because we don’t like seeing you revisit the pain.  It hurts us, too.  Because we care. 

For tomorrow:

”Just for today, I choose not to g**ble. I can remember the pain. And I don’t want  the pain today. That’s a good enough reason for me.”

Until next time,

Mixer

Posted : 26th January 2020 6:58 pm
(@mixer)
Topic starter

*** Good evening! ***

I hope you’ve had a good weekend!  Let’s keep on track for a more fulfilling week ahead.  It’s something we can choose to do!

Russ - thank you for a terrific post and you’re right - g**ling gives us a temporal high.  I could extend that, perhaps, to an artificial high.  Because it’s not real in the sense of being a fulfilling high because of the long low that follows.  Repent at leisure indeed.  By the way, I’m finding reading your posts very instructive and useful.

Ineffable -  Thank you for your post and glad my routine was worth sharing; I’m really going out of my way to keep meaningfully busy. 

I also found your comment about a ‘higher power’ interesting.  The way I see it, whatever our ‘power’ is, whether we’re secular, non-secular, athirst, agnostic, use our conscious, our families alone anything in between - whatever helps us is my view.  We’re all different, unique and that’s the wonderful factor of our lives.  

Fighter1 - Our huge respect to you hitting the 500 day milestone. It can be done but as you infer, not easily done, but you’ve proved it can be done.  Thank you for sharing this fantastic news. 

Lewis - thank you for keeping us all updated; it’s great that you’re choosing life and not misery!

As we close on January, let’s reflect on a month well done.  Even if you’ve had a blip, it doesn’t undo all your good work. It makes you stronger for next time. Because we don’t like seeing you revisit the pain.  It hurts us, too.  Because we care. 

For tomorrow:

”Just for today, I choose not to g**ble. I can remember the pain. And I don’t want  the pain today. That’s a good enough reason for me.”

Until next time,

Mixer

Posted : 26th January 2020 7:00 pm
(@mixer)
Topic starter

*** Good evening! ***

For tomorrow:

Until next time,

Mixer

Posted : 26th January 2020 7:01 pm
(@mixer)
Topic starter

*** Good evening! ***

For tomorrow:

Until next time,

Mixer

Posted : 26th January 2020 7:03 pm
miked
(@miked)

Hi all. Very tired tonight even though not done much this weekend. Last ten days or so have been dieting very strictly after putting on far too much weight over past few months through lack of self care. Don't know if that's lost all my energy. Tomorrow on payday I have money budgeted to rejoin gym looking forward to that as a productive use of spare time and to get some of the right hormones flowing.

Have a good week all together we are stronger 

Posted : 26th January 2020 8:48 pm
(@adam123)

hi mixer and everyone!!!! not been about on here as much so just caught up with the chat.  Sorry to hear about Stephen but I know he'll be back and mixer demonstrated how much those 75 days gamble free helped him thru Christmas so im sure it was worth it and im sure he will be back after he builds some more strength and as the days add up you become more confident in many ways.  I've been getting voices when going to bed this week which has caused less sleep than usual which as I was doing overtime each day made me very run down quickly and made me depressed at work and after until I went to bed at 7pm on Wednesday night slept for 12 hours then 12 hours again Thursday night.  It just goes to show that my health is very important.  Ive got my review on Tuesday was thinking of asking to reduce my overtime in the review (when I was depressed I thought of this), but now I think ill be alright to do it just got to make sure I don't work two long days in a row.  Had a good weekend went to a friends Saturday night for takeaway pizza and games and went to gym Friday night and sunday afternoon (been 10 times this month now).  

My weeks are as follows

Wake up 10am -start work 11 and work till 4pm then home every day mon-fri, go to gym 4-530pm home dinner 615pm 630pm-10pm music, football, films and gamcare, sleep.

Weekends midday bt sport midday game, gym, relax, motd 1030pm, family visits, national trust visits, visit friends, meals out every now and then, no pubs really now since before Christmas as I hate seeing fruit machines, apart from one pub in town (ale pub) that doesn't have a fruit machine so I visit that every now and then with friends for a coffee (or six majorly buzzing caffeine hit sometimes lol) and cheese on toast lol.

I haven't smoked for three years and haven't drunk since 2018 so my interests along with my growing age have changed dramatically in recent years but I feel a lot better for it most days (everyone has a bad day every now and then.

Well that's me.

think ive hit the 50 day mark now horray.  Lets keep this up

Posted : 26th January 2020 9:01 pm
Page 27 / 36

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close