Stephen - Stopped Gambling 1st November 2019

234 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
31.3 K Views
Murlo
(@murlo)

I love to read that you love yourself Stephen, something we must all learn  to do!

I hope you have has a great day today x

Posted : 7th December 2019 3:26 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Thank you for visiting my diary Murlo. I hope you are having a good weekend.

Hello Diary.

Saturday night in for me so just pottering about and taking it easy.

In my last post I was having a little tongue in cheek humour writing that I was grateful for being good looking, charming and modest. On a serious note though, I do believe that we need to treat ourselves with kindness and respect whilst being grateful for the good things we have in our life.

Everyone has made mistakes in the past and sometimes people may feel guilty, ashamed, vulnerable, frightened and lonely but that will not help anyone and will not solve anything. 

I am trying to show myself some understanding and looking for positive solutions to things in my life that I am not happy with. In the past I have buried in my head in the sand or turned to gambling for an answer but that just left me feeling wretched on many occasions.

I have decided to make a recovery cake using the following ingredients:

A spoonful of courage

A tablespoon of integrity

A cup of common sense

A cup of understanding

A cup of smiles and laughter

A tablespoon of gratitude

A generous helping of generosity 

A sprinkling of kindness and compassion

This cake has no calories and I can eat it anytime and anywhere.

This post was modified 4 years ago by Aum

Posted : 7th December 2019 9:54 pm
DramaLlama
(@dramallama)

I am going to eat your cake. Keep baking my good friend. I am going to write down the recipe on some pretty teddy bear paper and take it with me wherever I go. Not even lying! 

Drama x

Posted : 7th December 2019 9:56 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

I have just had a slice and it tastes good but other people might be able to add to the ingredients and turn it into a really delicious cake.

Saturday night challenge: Who can come up with the best recipe x 

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Aum

Posted : 7th December 2019 10:02 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Well it's been a good day for me. This afternoon I went to a Scrabble club which is held every couple of weeks in a cafe. I enjoyed that and went from there for a bit of fresh air on the pier. Exhilarating but a bit cold so I didn't stay too long.

Sunday is a funny kind of day. Some people are not keen but I have always liked it as a day to spend doing whatever I wanted and there is no end of wonderful things to do. Sport, walking, hobbies, DIY, leisurely strolls alone or with company. 

A day is a day and they all look the same

A chance to have fun and make life a game

Twenty four hours for singing and dancing

Or cuddled up close for a bit of romancing 

Posted : 8th December 2019 8:19 pm
lisa92x
(@lisa92x)

Sounds a good day stephen! I like sundays too.

Posted : 8th December 2019 8:33 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Thank you Lisa.

I have just been on the Chatline which felt a bit surreal but in a nice way. I imagine it takes a while to get the hang of it.

I popped in Sainbury's earlier for a few odds and ends and was charged 20p for the plastic bag. I was really pleased because people might be less likely to dump them in the sea. It broke my heart the other day reading about a whale that was washed up on a beach with 200lbs of nylon rope/nets and plastic bags etc in its stomach.

Posted : 8th December 2019 10:13 pm
(@mixer)

Hi Stephen

Such a pleasant surprise to bump into you in the Group Chat tonight. It did make me chuckle picturing your no-doubt bewildered expression as message-after-message cascaded down the screen ... I felt the same during my 'first time' !

But like any such - ahem! - experience it gets better ... and it's an 'addiction' everyone would approve of!

A very good evening to you.

Mixer

This post was modified 4 years ago by Mixer

Posted : 8th December 2019 10:27 pm
lisa92x
(@lisa92x)

20p is expensive but as you say probably for the best! I’ve always got bags in the boot of my car but forget to take them into the shop half of the time lol. I’ve never been on the group chat but sure you’ll settle into it eventually 😀 

Posted : 8th December 2019 11:23 pm
DramaLlama
(@dramallama)

It was wonderful to meet you on the chat tonight. I can't believe how busy it was for your visit. It's not normally that busy. I was very grateful that you decided to stay and just visit. I enjoyed your company. It was like you were sat in an armchair in the corner by the fire watching the kids play. 

It sounds daft but your company was very welcome. 

Drama x

Posted : 8th December 2019 11:59 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Thank you Mixer, Lisa and Drama for visiting my diary. I appreciate your support.

Hello Diary.

Have had a really good day.

This afternoon I treated an elderly lady friend (81) for lunch and a walk around town with a visit to an art gallery. It was a lot of fun. The lady in question was a work colleague and very good friend of my mother who passed away 20 years ago. I havn't seen her for a couple of years so it was good to catch up and we had a few laughs.

Tonight went Salsa dancing for the first time in a few months. It was excellent and a few friends were there who I havn't seen for a couple of years so that made the evening even better.

Although I havn't gambled my finances have taken a nosedive over the last 10 days so I need to slow down a bit. Still a few things to pay for before I set off to my sisters for a Christmas holiday a week next Thursday. I have got my train tickets.

Posted : 10th December 2019 12:54 am
Murlo
(@murlo)

Morning Stephen, it sounds as though you had a fantastic day yesterday. I used to love salsa dancing, must consider it again! I hope today brings you as much joy x

Posted : 10th December 2019 7:00 am
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Thank you Murlo. Salsa dancing is great fun and I went again tonight at a different venue. 

Also out for a few hours this afternoon meeting people, swapping cards and doing christmassy stuff in a cafe.

No urges to gamble and enjoying not been skint.

Posted : 11th December 2019 12:24 am
Livelysoul
(@livelysoul)

Hi Stephen

I just thought I’d drop by and say how happy I am that you remained strong and are enjoying all the little things in life. Sounds like you’ve had a fun week of activities.

Glad you got your train tickets ?. I hope you have a fabulous Christmas and thank you for dropping by my diary. Sorry for not posting to say thank you. I went a little AWOL for a week or two but my b**t is firmly back where it should be - this wonderful, supportive forum with wonderful people like you and Drama. 

Bex x

Posted : 11th December 2019 12:57 am
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Many thanks for posting on my diary Bex. I was sad to read of your setback but pleased that you are back amongst us and and are determined to reclaim your life.

Hello Diary ... 41 Days GF

Great day Wednesday with friends and acquaintances first at a tenants christmas get-together than joined some friends in a cafe and went to a rehearsal of an operatic singing group in the main art gallery and than last night went to see them perform/singing in the refurbished Victorian indoor market. All in all I had an absolutely brilliant day and it cost me very little.

I sometimes have thoughts of all the times I had to stay in or cancelled social engagements at the last minute because I had given all I had to the betting shop machines. Looking back now, none of it makes any sense to me.

But that is all behind me now and onward I will go

Stuffing my face at Christmas and playing out in the snow

Adventures in the year ahead will make me laugh out loud

Climbing the gamcare mountain and feeling really proud

Posted : 12th December 2019 1:14 am
Page 7 / 16

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close