New diary for 2019... think I'm cured?

83 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
12 K Views
lisa92x
(@lisa92x)
Topic starter

hey diary... Well I have £6000 in the bank after paying off every penny of everything I possibly could (yearly car insurance etc) and have paid off and cancelled my  credit card - so I dont really have much direct debits now just my household bills, I have no debt at all not even 1 pence!! I've Booked a holiday for me and my boyfriend, gave my mum £1000 and I'm terrified to spend any of the rest of it as I'm scared of being skint again so have now locked it into a savings account. I'd usually be away on a massive shopping spree if i had spare money but this is probably the last big amount i'll ever get and I want to make every penny of it go into something worthwhile! I can also leave my second job now but i'm a bit scared to do it, I only do 1 or 2 shifts a week anyway but could defo do with having all my weekends back to myself now. isn't it strange how addiction changes you! 

Posted : 13th December 2019 11:57 am
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)

Lisa you are an absolute treasure.

Following on from your disastrous affair with gambling addiction you set out to rediscover your life and you are now reaping the rewards for all your hard work.

I have always admired and respected your positive attitude, courage and determination. You never lost hope, lived one day at a time and kept looking to the future. 

You are showing a lot of wisdom by arranging your finances in a sensible manner and I am impressed with the practical measures you have taken to restrict your access to money. 

It pleases me that you have a sound understanding of the addiction that afflicts us and you also recognise our vulnerability. That can be invaluable should temptation come knocking on the door.

Wishing you a great weekend and a lifetime of love, contentment and good adventures.

Stephen x 

This post was modified 4 years ago by Aum

Posted : 13th December 2019 1:58 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)

Thank you for posting Christmas Greetings on my diary Lisa. I am having a lovely time with sister and her family and tomorrow we are celebrating my great nephews 18th birthday with lunch and party in a pub. He is out with his friends tomorrow night.

A little bird told me you are rapidly approaching one year gamble free and will arrive on Monday so I will then be celebrating your wonderful achievement.

Hopefully you are having a great Christmas. Wishing you every happiness throughout 2020.

Stephen x 

Posted : 27th December 2019 9:20 pm
lisa92x
(@lisa92x)
Topic starter

thanks Stephen its good to hear from you! 

375 days today - I've got savings and zero debt, no stress. no urge to gamble. I love my life!!

Posted : 9th January 2020 12:24 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)

Great to read your post Lisa. I am very proud of you and feel honoured to follow in your footsteps.

Many thanks for posting on my diary and pleased to report that the Deluxe Foot Spa is excellent. Relaxing and makes the tootsies feel good.

I apologise if you are woken by wild celebrations at midnight for I shall be arriving at 70 Days GF and might be giving it some yihaaas plus a few woohoos as I dance around my living room and kitchen to the sound of Queen singing "We Are The Champions."

Stephen x 

Posted : 9th January 2020 9:54 pm
lisa92x
(@lisa92x)
Topic starter

Hahaha I love that!! I’ll head over to your diary now and see what’s been happening. I haven’t been on here a lot but I like to come back now and again to remind myself of what I’ve been thru/see how others are getting on. I had a huge shopping splurge last week and spent about £300 on house things but I’m not really feeling bad about it as I’ve P****d away so much money in the past, lol will just reign in the spending the rest of this month/February. The big amount of cash I have left is still in savings and I’m not planning on touching it unless an emergency comes up or if I’m off sick or something like that. feel really happy and settled just now literally have no dramas at all in my life. Only thing bugging me is my spare bedroom is a mess which is making me feel a bit stressed but then I’m wanting to try and enjoy a lazy Sunday now I have my weekends back, I’ll try and tackle the spare room one night this week after work ?  ? 

Posted : 26th January 2020 2:52 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)

Great to see you posting Lisa. Your words brought a big smile to my face and many thanks for visiting my diary with encouraging words and good advice.

Excellent progress for you to be 392 days into your journey of recovery and on top of that you are having fun and enjoying life which is also very important.

Great to see you enjoying a bit of shopping. Money is meant to be spent and it is good to splash out now and than.

Spending is good and completely different to just giving away money to the owners of gambling establishments for they just laugh at compulsive gamblers.

Hope you come to terms with the spare bedroom. There is probably no rush so best to do it when you feel inspired and in the mood. 

Wishing you well as you continue on your adventure.

Stephen x 

Posted : 26th January 2020 9:56 pm
lisa92x
(@lisa92x)
Topic starter

Hey stephen! Thankyou so much, you’re totally right about the money thing. I’ve got such a weird relationship with money now but seem to be getting better. I started the spare room tonight so should be able to finish it over the next few days just have so much shoes and stuff everywhere it’s ridiculous, Maybe take some things to the charity shop! 

anyway hope you’ve had a good Monday 🙂 

Posted : 27th January 2020 9:24 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)

If you haven't worn something for over a year (excluding special occasions outfits) than the charity shop seems like an excellent idea.

One has to exercise caution when shopping though and there are many compulsive shoppers around who could testify to that. When I have money in the bank I sometimes get a strong urge to spend but don't know if that is because deep down I fear losing it through gambling.

I went on group chat tonight which was good. 

Best wishes

Stephen x 

Posted : 27th January 2020 9:44 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)

You have stirred me into action Lisa.

I have surplus (already washed) jeans, shirts and fleece so I will give them an iron and tomorrow take them to the homeless hostel or charity shop along with a spare waterproof top (got a new one in the sales).

Thank you for that Lisa. Hope you have a lovely week.

Stephen x 

Posted : 27th January 2020 10:26 pm
lisa92x
(@lisa92x)
Topic starter

Aww i'm glad! that's a good idea I will try and start with things I've not worn for a while. I think ive been on the chat once but didnt say much,

I've had a horrible horrible day, almost crashed my car on ice thismorning done a huge spin to try and avoid hitting anything then was nervous all day about driving home but thankfully the ice has melted now so i should be fine later, then i was talking about someone at work about things she lies about and SHE HEARD ME, suppose that's the karma you get lol but she talks absolute rubbish 99% of the time I think she was more annoyed that we knew she was a liar over anything else :/ not to worry! 

feel rubbish and cant wait to get home and walk the dog then get a bath and dinner.

Posted : 28th January 2020 3:21 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)

Oh dear Lisa I am sorry to read of your misfortune this morning but relieved that you are ok and no damage to the car. Sometimes the gritters whizz along the road and I think they miss bits.

Hope the lady at work does not bear you a grudge. It might have done her good to listen to a few home truths but watch your back just to be on the safe side and if you see her with some pins and a voodoo doll than start running lol.

I never got them clothes ironed but will definitely do it and get them to charity shop or homeless hostel before the weekend. It seems a bit obscene to have spare warm clothing which could be worn by unfortunate people who are living outdoors in the cold.

I am going salsa dancing tonight which will be fun.

Stephen x 

Posted : 28th January 2020 3:48 pm
lisa92x
(@lisa92x)
Topic starter

Well she has gotten over it now thank god lol!! Hope you’ve enjoyed your salsaaa dancing ? 

Posted : 15th February 2020 11:10 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)

Hi Lisa hope your weekend has been good and you have had no problems with the wind and rain. Wonderful to see you are still gamble free after 400 plus days. You are an inspiration to me.

Are you going off in the campervan when the weather improves? If I remember right you like a good outdoor adventure and previously had some good fun with it.

Pleased you have had no more motoring mishaps and also that your work colleague bears you no grudge. Haha you could take her off in the van for a weekend lol.

Wishing you happy days, smiles and plenty of fun.

Stephen x 

Posted : 16th February 2020 6:32 pm
lisa92x
(@lisa92x)
Topic starter

Hey stephen! My weekend has been really good, I take my dog to a training class on a Saturday so I went to that and then I’ve just had a lazy weekend in the house watching movies and eating 😀 haha, we are going away in the van in June to Amsterdam and then France, I’m going to get my dogs passport tomorrow after work so I’m really excited about it!! I really appreciate that, as soon as I got out of gambling debt I had no urge at all to gamble, honestly can never bring myself to put myself in that place again which is how I think I’ve managed so long. I mean I can only just bear her at work so I think I’ll pass on the weekend away Hahahah.

Posted : 16th February 2020 8:00 pm
Page 5 / 6

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close