New Beginnings

107 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
Lil30
(@lil30)
Topic starter

Thanks Leigh, am now 22days GF, and, honestly I'm kind of dreading getting paid next week. Really hoping I don't do something silly!

Posted : 22nd January 2019 7:16 am
(@Anonymous)

Hi lil30. Congrats on 22 days gf.

Hold onto that when you get paid. You can have a month when your bills are paid and your not scrambling for basic necessities. Once I brought toilet paper home from work because I had no money to buy any.

I think it’s good to be concerned about having access to money. We are used to giving all our hard earned money to gambling.

No more. Have a good day.

Carol

Posted : 22nd January 2019 8:48 am
lisa92x
(@lisa92x)

Hey lil! Congrats on 22 days! Please be strong on payday and be sensible , I know you can do it 🙂

Posted : 22nd January 2019 7:46 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)

Pleased to see you doing so well Lil. A song just went through my head which included the words: "Things can only get better." I just can't think who sang the song but I believe the words can apply to many of us, providing we refrain from gambling.

This is your diary of recovery and can be considered very precious. In time to come you will hopefully look back upon it with a sense of pride and have fond memories of the friends who shared the journey with you.

I know you are feeling a little apprehensive as payday approaches. I feel the same and so do many of our friends on the diaries. Stopping gambling is very difficult but it can be done, so let's do our best...stephen x

Posted : 23rd January 2019 12:11 am
signalman
(@signalman)

Self Sufficient Stephen wrote:

A song just went through my head which included the words: "Things can only get better." I just can't think who sang the song but I believe the words can apply to many of us,

Wasn't it d:ream?

It got labelled as the 'Labour' song and coupled with Tony Blair's leadership campaign?

Posted : 23rd January 2019 2:13 am
Lil30
(@lil30)
Topic starter

It was D:ream and of course Stephen you're right. I think it’s the mood swings that are getting to me. I think i've got all the plans sorted, money organised and I’ll feel kind of optimistic but then something will come out and it really does knock me straight back down. Work is so stressful at the minute too, I come home and have no energy at all. A bit of motivation is needed but it’s so dark and foggy and cold out. I'm doing well, 23 days now. So I distract myself with books and this site! Thanks all x

Posted : 23rd January 2019 7:52 pm
Lil30
(@lil30)
Topic starter

24 days... some urges today. Demands for money coming in as it is the end of the month and I’ve missed things. Playing with my budget for next month - I'm going to use Squirrel to help manage a budget - but thinking, I could just stick £20 in here and try my luck. Madness!!

Posted : 24th January 2019 6:56 pm
(@Anonymous)

Come on lil you’ve got this girl. It’s not going to beat you now. Think of the face mask!!:)

Posted : 24th January 2019 9:10 pm
Lil30
(@lil30)
Topic starter

You are correct SoSad... I have! X

Posted : 24th January 2019 9:45 pm
(@Anonymous)

Hi lil. I’m having urges too the past 2 days. I’m distracting myself with this site or binge watching tv. Anything to drown out that whisper in my ear. I do think urges will come and go and we just need to get past them. I don’t want to lose my gf days. You have accomplished so much try and stay strong Hold on to that pay tomorrow Carol

Posted : 24th January 2019 9:51 pm
Caseyjay
(@caseyjay)

lil,

I have been the same, I think mines is as it’s almost payday. I can’t believe I am even thinking I could just put on a tenner! But I won’t we need to stay strong. I won’t see any benifits of not gambling yet but hoping I will over the next few months. Well done on 24 days 🙂

Posted : 24th January 2019 11:14 pm
signalman
(@signalman)

Lil30 wrote:

24 days... some urges today. Demands for money coming in as it is the end of the month and I’ve missed things. Playing with my budget for next month - I'm going to use Squirrel to help manage a budget - but thinking, I could just stick £20 in here and try my luck. Madness!!

I hope you're ok. Stay in touch.

"We cannot win because we cannot stop"

It sure is a mantra. Not only that it is a confrontation with the inevitable and painful truth that we are not well... Our wiring is a bit mashed up. It won't be just £20 will it... There is no luck involved in gambling remember... It is not engineered in our favour in the first place. They may not get you this time, but by having a 'this time' you open the door for 'next times' and that's when they'll get you.

Try and combat urges with realities when they come for you. And remember urges are just thoughts. They don't have to be actions.

Posted : 27th January 2019 1:00 am
Lil30
(@lil30)
Topic starter

Hi all! Really pleased to say 27 days GF, kept offline and busy last couple of days. Had a bit of a cold, and didn't want to sit around on my tablet! Been reading a lot and watching TV. Looking forward to paying some debts this week, but focusing on the long term here too. Thanks Signalman - thoughts, only thoughts. You're right, of case. Caseyjay, hope you’ve had a good weekend.

Posted : 27th January 2019 6:00 pm
Lil30
(@lil30)
Topic starter

Okay, 29 days GF now! Payday been, but will see no returns just yet. Far too much to pay back and sort out, but it feels good to know that I am on the right path. A few silly thoughts about spare money, but I use the app Squirrel to sort my budget and to get paid what I need when. I’m focusing on what I can pay, what I can do and trying not to get to negative!

Posted : 29th January 2019 6:10 pm
signalman
(@signalman)

Lil30 wrote:

A few silly thoughts about spare money

Ah I sometimes get those too... I hear you. If anything I tell myself it's probably me just having banter with myself (some sort of ironic gallows humour at play) but anyway when you get those thoughts in a way you should also be proud that youve reduced your gambling addiction to gambling urges and then again to just silly gambling thoughts. If you can keep gambling in check and at this point for the foreseeable then your future sure looks bright.

Keep going lil! :o)

Posted : 2nd February 2019 2:05 am
Page 6 / 8

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close