Last Chance.

35 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

I'm seriously going to ruin my life if I don't stop. I've tried to stop countless times before. Gambling is a habit now. I'm going to write down EVERYTHING here, all of my feelings, my story up until now. I know this is killing me...

I'm 19 years old, have a fairly decent job in the city, a career ahead of me.. If I focus. But gambling is constantly getting in the way. I'll admit, I've always had an obsession over money. Always want to find out ways to make more. I probably started gambling when I was 16, the odd few quid on a football bet, nothing too much. 17 years old the same pretty much. I hit 18... All of a sudden I'm introduced to FOBT's and online betting. Roulette, blackjack, you name it. I played it.

I started my job August 2017. August 2018 comes around, what do I have to my name? f**k. All. No debt at least, but I had worked a whole year, and had absolutely nothing to show for it. Well I went on a holiday and more. But I'm talking savings.. Nothing. I keep gambling into December 2018. Had a few loses few wins. Bottom of the line is I have a loan out at the minute which comes out of my account automatically, and will be paid off in May. 2019 rolls around. I promise myself I'm done with the gamling 'scene'. I think I lasted about 6 days. Same old s**t. My expenses are getting higher. I've just started paying off a summer holiday, paying off a loan, normal bills like food, I'm learning to drive too, paying for lessons and tests. Hopefully I pass soon so I won't have to worry about that for much longer. I'm gonna be completely honest here.. Nobody knows who I am. I have about £1500 to my name. We are in the middle of January 2019 and if I carry on I will run myself into serious trouble. Imagine if I have to take a few more driving tests, or need to pay money for some sort of emergency. But can't, because I just gambled my last £200 the night before. I don't want this to be my life. Living payday to payday. I want to live.

So now that you know my story, he's what I have done to try and stop myself gambling. I've got a gambling block on my PC so I completely cannot gamble on my computer. I've had it for about 6 months and its worked fine. I've tried to get it on my mobile but I cannot as I've been told it doesnt work correctly with Vodaphone. I know this is true as I bought the block for iPhone and they had to refund me as it wasnt working properly. So as you can imagine, I gamble on my phone. Sign up to GAMSTOP and block all of my accounts? Done. Bookies. I tend to walk into these quite a bit too. I haven't banned myself from these purely because I don't think they'd kick me out if i walked in. Or even know that I'd previously banned myself. Send advice please.

I've made myself a money plan, which involves getting my wage, deducting all of my normal expenses, plus my loan and holiday. I can then move a few hundred quid into my savings account, and have a little bit left over to 'treat myself' in the month. Beers on the weekend or whatever. When the loan is fully paid off in May, the amount of money I'll be able to save will absolutely shoot up, as from now until May, the loan repayment is £400. If I can sort my self out until May, I'll be able to save money, do nice things frequently and FEEL HAPPY. Bring it on. Tomorrow is day 1. I'm going to be active this time. I promise. THIS TIME I WILL WIN.

Posted : 14th January 2019 10:34 pm
Merry go round
(@merry-go-round)

You sound like my husband. He's 48 now and just done over 600 days. That's 30 years gambling. You need to fight this with everything. Blocks are great but you will find other ways. There are many GA meetings in London. No one will know you and everyone there is there for the same reason. Get some real help, doing this alone is a struggle. Stop focusing on money. Focus on today and not having the next bet. Just one day, they all add up.

Posted : 15th January 2019 8:37 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Day 1 - That is very strange for someone to say I sound like their husband lol. just over 600 days is incredible. I will get there. Thank you for the advice, I am going to take it a day at a time. Also to try not to focus too much on money. Bring on tomorrow 🙂

Posted : 15th January 2019 10:39 pm
(@Anonymous)

You are 19 mate. Get this sorted now, you can save yourself a lot of life.

You need to confess to a family member and get them to have full control to your money- otherwise your lying to yourself. Get this bug sorted and consider taking back control in a few years - if ever.

If you are truly worried, relinquish control of your cash, truly accept defeat.

You must accept defeat and shame yourself before you can begin to rebuild.

You must fine enjoyment outside the chase for cash.

Posted : 15th January 2019 11:41 pm
(@Anonymous)

Don't let this be your 1st of 100 last chances like me.

Follow the steps and fix yourself.

Posted : 15th January 2019 11:43 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Anewbeginning wrote:

Don't let this be your 1st of 100 last chances like me.

Follow the steps and fix yourself.

Thank you so much for your comment. I have told my girlfriend recently, who is one of the closest people to me. Aside from the obvious dissapointment she has been supportive. Were saving for a holiday together so the last thing I want is for her to not be able to rely on me to be able to save the money. I will get there. I will take all the necessary steps. This time will be my last.

Posted : 16th January 2019 1:02 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Day 2 - I've been fairly busy and work and not thought so much about gambling. I don't tend to think about gambling a lot anyone, I think about money. Which leads to.. gambling. But not anymore. I have told people, friends and my girlfriend. It's fairly difficult when you're friends are still in that gambling boat. They all do football bets on the weekend and quite often talk about football betting stuff. So it's hard to completely avoid. But I've told them I have more important things to put my money towards rather than gamble every week. They understand. They are more than likely in the same boat as me.. But haven't said anything.

Payslip come through yesterday, money goes in on the 25th this month. I know where its going already. Loan repayment, holiday, bills then save a little. I'm going to have to repeat this until end of April... May will be the month I will feel new and fresh. I can't wait. Wow only day 2 and I'm already thinking about something 4 months ahead of me. Going to clear my brain a bit. Might start reading. I don't read books. Imagine if everytime I thought about betting I could just grab a book and forget about it lol.

So for someone who doesn't read at all. Enjoys action/adventure.. sci-fi? I guess. Recommend me a book!

Posted : 16th January 2019 1:10 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Day 3 - Short one today. Getting through the day. Still don't feel too great about myself.

Posted : 17th January 2019 4:31 pm
Equinox
(@equinox)

Hi LPLSTOP

I wish you all the best sorting this out. Gambing addiction at any age is bad, but age 19 is probably one of the better times to start. It's good you've shared it with some of the people close to you - and you're probably right about some of your mates having a similar problem.

Reading is a great idea - I always find it takes a bit of effort to get into a book, but once the story has its hooks in you, they are a brilliant distraction from gambling.

I hate to be picky - but maybe remove the bit of detail about how you avoided the Gamstop blocks in your first post. I can only speak for myself here, but the Gamstop blocks have really put an end to my online gambling, so it's always a bit worrying for me if I stumble across method that might allow me to slide through their radar.

Take care

Equinox

Posted : 18th January 2019 12:56 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Equinox wrote:

Hi LPLSTOP

I wish you all the best sorting this out. Gambing addiction at any age is bad, but age 19 is probably one of the better times to start. It's good you've shared it with some of the people close to you - and you're probably right about some of your mates having a similar problem.

Reading is a great idea - I always find it takes a bit of effort to get into a book, but once the story has its hooks in you, they are a brilliant distraction from gambling.

I hate to be picky - but maybe remove the bit of detail about how you avoided the Gamstop blocks in your first post. I can only speak for myself here, but the Gamstop blocks have really put an end to my online gambling, so it's always a bit worrying for me if I stumble across method that might allow me to slide through their radar.

Take care

Equinox

Hello,

I have removed that piece from my original post. I understand, I also don't want people finding out about this. I was just explaining my story. Thanks for your comment. Best of luck in your journey!!

Posted : 18th January 2019 1:46 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Day 4 - Done a few things last night that could really help me out in the long run. I signed up for MONZO. It's a bank that allows you to save money, obviously. But this service really appeals to me.You can put money in pots and lock the pots until a certin date so that you can't take th money out. This is really useful as I'm used to putting money in savings then taking it back out. This way, the money is locked in this pot until it reaches the certain date. MONZO also has a gamble blocks, which blocks all gambling transactions. Of course I still have my old bank, but I'm determined to move the money into MONZO and lock it qhen I can. All these little barriers are adding up to building this brick wall against gambling.

But anyway, today I haven't done much. Busy at work. Looking forward to the weekend. Relax time. Closer to the 1 week mark. Still no update on the book situation lol.

Posted : 18th January 2019 2:19 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Money coming out my account this weekend. Just need not to focus on it. It happens. I'm moving on.

Posted : 18th January 2019 2:20 pm
(@Anonymous)

I don’t gamble lots of money but enough to irritate me, I have gamban on my electronics as I was doing the slots online, it works brilliant. Might look at Monzo. I have to stop going in th slot machine shops now.

Posted : 18th January 2019 4:01 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Marypoppins wrote:

I don’t gamble lots of money but enough to irritate me, I have gamban on my electronics as I was doing the slots online, it works brilliant. Might look at Monzo. I have to stop going in th slot machine shops now.

Hello,

You're in a good position to stop before it's too late then, almost like me. Yes monzo does seem good. Download it on your phone and check out it's features. Even if you don't want to use it after. Worth a shot. I also am still in danger of walking into the shops.. Only we can really stop ourselves from doing this. But if your money is locked in Monzo, then we will win! Best of luck! Keep fighting.

Posted : 18th January 2019 4:27 pm
(@Anonymous)

My name is Charlie and have a really bad problem with gambling that’s been on and off for 10 years. But just before Xmas I started again as I needed money due to the fact I couldn’t work as I had surgery on my knee which stopped me from working and also my hobbies like golf etc so I started to be come bored so I go to the bookies. And I don’t no why cause I know it’s a bad thing to do but I just couldn’t help myself cause I was so bored of seating indoors looking at 4 walls. And my gambling problem is back and worse than ever and I’m hurting the people close to me. I just hope this is my last chance to sort my self out as I have nothing apart from my family now and I’m lucky to have that after what gambling has done

Posted : 18th January 2019 5:34 pm
Page 1 / 3

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close