fresh start

1,154 Posts
70 Users
2 Likes
81.4 K Views
slowlearner
(@slowlearner)

Hi gadaveuk,

I've no doubt you're the expert, I congratulate you on 20 years of abstinence what a fantastic achievement. I apologize Boro  for my post, the only experience I have of compulsive gambling recovery is that I stopped after 48 years & I am clean since Aug 2018. Over to you Dave.

Al

Posted : 13th February 2022 1:08 am
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

@slowlearner I appreciate your post I’m sure Dave didn’t mean the way he come across 

Posted : 13th February 2022 12:03 pm
gadaveuk
(@gadaveuk)

@slowlearner 

Hi

I am not an expert as you think.

I am an equal to all people who are suffering in pain an want to heal their hurt inner child.

My length in the recovery program demonstrates how much I want to be even healthier than I was yesterday.

If by sharing people can relate to the pains of my past and they want or need to heal we help each other.

I think you did not understand that I have been in recovery since 1969.

It took me over 20 years to get to understand that recovery is much more than abstaining from Gambling.

This August I will be celebrating 30 years of my last bet.

That does not mean I do not make mistakes or want to apologize for some thing unhealthy I did or said that adversely affected my relationship with my self and another person.

Recovery is not about status or preaching but about demonstrating a healthy living and healthy relationships with out fears holding me back..

Love and peace to every one.

Dave L

AKA Dave Of Beckenham UK

Posted : 13th February 2022 1:31 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

No thoughts whatsoever of going in a betting shop today. I know I can’t if I do the consequences are bad and just can’t take that feeling again.

Posted : 14th February 2022 7:54 pm
gadaveuk
(@gadaveuk)

@boro 

Hi

That is very sad that they are missing your money.

LOL.

Dave L

Posted : 14th February 2022 8:13 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Still feel pretty certain I’m not going in a betting shop anytime soon. Like I have said I can’t 

Posted : 16th February 2022 10:37 pm
gadaveuk
(@gadaveuk)

@boro 

Hi

I needed to understand that me going to any betting shop would be hurting myself and causig in me to rise higher.

It is not some thing I want or need in my life today. Not today.

Clean time helps you get to a much healthier life today,

Dave L

Posted : 16th February 2022 10:42 pm
S.A
 S.A
(@s-687)

It sounds like you have had enough of the self-destructive behaviour we all know so well.

Onwards to better times..

Posted : 19th February 2022 11:31 am
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

@s-687 I have mate. I can’t take it, it’s killing me

Posted : 19th February 2022 1:27 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

I be honest not been in a betting shop since that awful day. But my partner and mam have put me a couple of lucky 15 on the horses during Cheltenham and on a Saturday. That’s how I’m dealing with my addiction 

Posted : 28th March 2022 8:11 pm
gadaveuk
(@gadaveuk)

@boro 

Hi

I use to resent other people gambling once I stopped.

Hearing other people talking about the buzz hindered my recovery.

I accept that every one on this planet can gamble and good luck to them.

By being emotionally detached from gambling help speed my recovery.

That would mean for giving myself, healing my pains, also giving up every thought that gambling was fun exciting, it was for me a way of self abuse.

While gambling I was in pain, I was destroying myself emotionally and financially. 

So each day I decide that for today only I will not gamble.

I was stay focused on my needs my wants and my goals.

Every day writing down every so that I can stay focused on one healthy productive thing.

The betting shop was a  place I use to escape to when I was emotional vulnerable.

My family understand I am not going to gamble today for any thing.

That first bet is far to costly and it has nothing to do about money.

Love and peace to every one.

Dave L

AKA Dave of Beckenham

Posted : 29th March 2022 2:43 am
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Fobt why do I do it to myself winning x amount then go on and lose a hell of a lot more 

Posted : 25th May 2022 5:23 pm
slowlearner
(@slowlearner)

Hi Boro,

Not an expert opinion, but simply a point of view, because we can't stop.  That's why we do it to ourselves. A million wouldn't make us think I've had enough, it's time to stop & I've no longer got money worries. Compulsive gamblers are a unique breed, we're never content. Accepting what's gone is gone & we're never gonna get it back is a bitter pill to swallow. Admit it Boro no matter how painful, the bookies, gambling dens are smarter than you & I. Special bets, free offers & that deposit £10 & we'll give you £50 in bets is what creates the next generation of Boros & Slowlearners. 

Best 

Al

Posted : 25th May 2022 11:36 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Your totally right slowlearner the heartache after the realisation at what I have done again is unbelievable. I’m getting married in 4 weeks and this time I can’t tell her because she be so annoyed. I’m so annoyed with myself can’t take her having a go. I took the gambling block off me card while my partner wasn’t looking because she has all me pins so I can’t get on my online banking this will make her further upset. The money gone I have excepted that again. One day I might live in peace 

Posted : 26th May 2022 8:41 am
S.A
 S.A
(@s-687)

I suppose a question we all have to ask ourselves is: What is it that we are trying to escape from?.... cos its certainly the case, that gambling on those machines in the bookies isn't gonna bring us untold riches.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! 

Now is the time to live in peace and harmony.

Posted : 27th May 2022 12:46 pm
Page 76 / 77

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close