fresh start

1,154 Posts
70 Users
2 Likes
81.4 K Views
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

The fobt are the devil. I just can’t stop playing them £940 in an hour just totally embarrassing going back and forth to the counter. But I have said this for the last 20 years when is it going to stop. My head is done in I’m not in debt or anything but that money could have been used for my 2 daughters or the wedding next year but you don’t think about these things until after. I felt like I was in a trance yesterday and it wasn’t real money. The only plus is I walked away could have lost a lot more and I confessed to girlfriend you can’t build a relationship on lies they always catch up with you. Need to try and cheer myself up feel very down 

Posted : 23rd September 2021 8:34 am
S.A
 S.A
(@s-687)

Hi... I understand how quickly you can get sucked back in. I mean you know this yourself but if the machine is at the part of the cycle where it aint gonna pay, which lets face it, is most of the time.... then it ain't gonna pay irrespective of what game you play or the stake. Like you say its easy to put hundreds in and think well its gotta pay at some point and then it doesn't and your f****d!!

At least you came clean. Remember, you might not be in debt now but you will be if you carry on

Get on to the national self-exclusion people and get yourself excluded form the bookies you need to exclude from and others.

With some gamble free time you start to cheer up again.

All the best.

Posted : 23rd September 2021 12:26 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Cheers for the reply sa. 

Posted : 26th September 2021 10:19 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Just watched Paul Merson talking about gambling always get upset watching stuff like this because it is me. Seeing people commit suicide because they think there no way out this disease is so awful.

Posted : 14th October 2021 10:52 am
S.A
 S.A
(@s-687)

That's a coincidence, iv'e just watched it as well. Am sure my brain would light up in the way his did when shown gambling pictures whilst in the MRI scanner. It makes me think that it really doesn't matter what you gamble on its the re-wiring of the brain that gets us feeling that the only way we can feel joy and excitement is through gambling. Sigh.

Like you say, an awful illness to have.

This post was modified 3 years ago by S.A

Posted : 14th October 2021 11:16 am
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Mine would be the same SA nothing would give my brain as much pleasure as gambling. The only thing that comes close is if I saw pictures of my daughters. It was sad hearing stories of people who committed suicide it’s made me cry because I know what they going through, shame and feeling there no way out. I could never commit suicide because of what it would do to my daughters but I have been right at the bottom. I feel it’s something we will have to live with for the rest of our lives sa.

Posted : 14th October 2021 1:20 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Gone and blown another £440 on the fobt. That’s about £1300 in a month when will I realise I can’t gamble because I just can’t stop. Filled out a form in that betting shop just had to do it. I’m already banned from others in local area I kept that one because I like gambling on horses but this leads to fobt so no gambling at all from now on. It’s go to hurt but it’s killing me gambling. Mentally just totally shot to pieces

Posted : 24th October 2021 3:02 pm
S.A
 S.A
(@s-687)

You just like gambling my friend, just like I do, whether its the horses, roulette or the slots. Its all the same really. Maybe you lose your money a bit slower on the horses, but it still goes doesn't it?

You have done the right thing. made it a bit harder for yourself to gamble. That's a good thing.

Posted : 24th October 2021 3:19 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

I lose control on the fobt sa and I’m sick and tired of it. Had 20 years or so of it. Nothing I have done in past has worked totally 

Posted : 24th October 2021 4:01 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Feel like total c**P. Never felt as down about me gambling as I do now Not in debt or anything but to carry on doing the same things for the last 20 years. Gamble win a bit feel great lose a lot feel like total c**P I can’t win because I can’t stop 

Posted : 25th October 2021 1:06 pm
Forum admin
(@forum-admin)
Admin

Hi Boro,

Sounds like your gambling is affecting you quite a bit. 

Can I encourage you call our Helpline 0808 8020 133 and our 1:1 Livechat. We are open 24/7. Our helpline advisors will listen to what’s going on for you and talk you through options available to help with stopping gambling. You don't have go through this alone, there is support here.  Well done on using the forum and hope you will continue to use the forum to share how you are getting on.

Warm wishes,

Vanessa

Forum Admin

Posted : 25th October 2021 4:09 pm
S.A
 S.A
(@s-687)

Well I know its not a lot of comfort... but your not alone.

Thousands of us have had similar experiences over long periods of time.

At least your not in a shed load of debt, so when you do stay stopped, which am sure you will, you won't carry the constant reminder.

Posted : 26th October 2021 11:43 am
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

I’m not going through this on me own my family and partner are supporting me through it again. But thank for your post on my diary admin. SA your right there are thousand of people like me and you who just like the buzz of gambling to much we just can’t get it out of our heads. That why we need blocks in place

Posted : 29th October 2021 6:27 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Done it again £500 down. Been on phone and added to me self excluded shops. Why do this to myself just before Xmas ?

Posted : 20th December 2021 2:12 pm
Forum admin
(@forum-admin)
Admin

Hi @boro

Sorry to hear you've gambled again. It's good that you've already extended your self exclusion. We understand that you're not alone and that you have the support of your family. If you feel you would like more structured support specifically aimed at your gambling, you might want to give us a call on 0808 8020 133, or explore our local and online support options:

https://www.gamcare.org.uk/get-support/find-local-treatment/

You're doing the right thing by keeping posting and keeping in touch with your fellow forum members so do keep posting and keep updating us. We hope you manage to have a good Christmas.

Best wishes

Deirdre
Forum Admin

Posted : 20th December 2021 10:31 pm
Page 73 / 77

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close