fresh start

1,154 Posts
70 Users
2 Likes
81.5 K Views
signalman
(@signalman)

Posted by: Boro

No gambling at all. With betting shops shut it pretty much stops gambling at all,. All blocks in place online and never been a big gambler online anyway. Life great apart from this coronavirus and working in a supermarket. But everything else going well got a woman in my life now. Everybody stay save and we must stay home wear possible 

Hello mate

So good to hear your progress. Much respect to you.

I walked past a bookies the other day (I'm also a keyworker so out and about regularly) and read the sign that said "not open for the foreseeable - please login to website for information on how to claim unclaimed winnings" 

Now whilst I'm not one to hate too much on the gambling industry and prefer to stick to the path of self-awareness and self-development - I couldn't help but carry a wry smile for a while as I made my way down the road.

Sort of feel sorry for any punters who have money stuck in the system now (they may have needed that money to live on) but you know what - hopefully this is a lesson to them... Nothing is certain in life, not even a bona-fide win in the bookies...

Keep life simple people - stay safe, live modestly, humbly and respectfully - no need to take risks unnecessarily (look what happened to those folks with unclaimed winnings) -  serenity will come your way just as easily as feeding money into a machine or backing the favourite at the 2:58 down at sandown...

I think you're living proof of the above mate... You seem/sound much better off without those machines in your life, if your only gripe these days is that supermarket work is a drag then effectively you're laughing mate ??

Finally after 8 gruelling years your on to a winner! All the best bud, you deserve it

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by signalman

Posted : 14th April 2020 3:27 pm
signalman
(@signalman)

Glad you got a woman in your life too ? possibly no coincidence this came about after your broke free of the gambling? Along with more money back in your pocket you got self-worth and self-belief back?

Posted : 14th April 2020 4:12 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Nice to hear from you mate. How things going with you ? Yeah mate got a bit of money behind me now so I’m not having to think I can’t afford to do this and that with the knew woman in my life. We ain’t seen each other since the Coronavirus like because I dont want to put me mam at risk more than what she is with me working in a supermarket plus it’s against the rules. She asked me to move in but I think it’s to soon but if we ever do move in together I can pay me way. Thanks for your kind words signalman as normal 

Posted : 14th April 2020 6:59 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Don’t think I ever be as embarrassed as I was I few months back when I was  asked to leave because I was self excluded. Not only in 1 shop but 2. 

Posted : 14th April 2020 7:01 pm
signalman
(@signalman)

Hey mate

Perhaps you needed that to happen in order to finally take unshackle the chains of addiction and get free of it... For the time being anyway - never underestimate how patient addiction can be bro, especially once those shops open up again... Keep your wits about you ?

When you're really flying at the whole abstainance thing and have strength, don't forget to renew your blanket self-exclusions regularly, so your face and details are always fresh in their minds and on the system, going in person is more effective in that respect. I only say this because I've often fallen short after a year or two and returned to the shops, knowing deep down that my details have probably been buried in the system by that point. Now I have almost two years behind me and a proper recovery this time, I could happily go in and out of the shop to renew exclusions without temptations, in the past that wasn't always the case. Even those flashing lights and sounds tend to trigger stuff for me... Addiction to gambling isn't going away any time soon mate...

I'm ok thanks, working like a dog during this time to cover shifts for those self-isolating, nice to have some recognition from the government yesterday at their briefing. Am going to apply for a manager's job - feel it's time for the next challenge and now have the confidence to fulfill my potential and really provide some financial security for my family (finally!) 

Wish me luck! Take care ? much love to the new lady! And your mam! ? 

Posted : 16th April 2020 12:26 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Things going well for me got a girlfriend who takes my mind off gambling. But it can change in a flash if I let gamble take over. Blocks still in place told girlfriend all about my past gambling and the things I have done. It’s always best to be honest because there always somebody who wants to destroy your happiness. 

Posted : 25th June 2020 5:51 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Cheers for that comment signalman 

Posted : 25th June 2020 5:52 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Things going ok. Girlfriend pregnant so something to concentrate my mind on 

Posted : 1st October 2020 7:24 pm
(@charlieboy)

Hi boro, lovely news . How long are you gamble free now ?

Posted : 1st October 2020 7:44 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

February mate. Cheers for the comment on my diary 

Posted : 2nd October 2020 9:29 am
(@charlieboy)

Awesome well done.

Posted : 2nd October 2020 9:44 am
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Well gambled £280 on the fobt. f&@k when will I learn 

Posted : 2nd May 2021 2:31 pm
S.A
 S.A
(@s-687)

Its a blip. I did something very similar when the bookies re-opened.

Its over now, don't beat yourself up anymore than you already have.

Cheers.. S.A

This post was modified 3 years ago by S.A

Posted : 2nd May 2021 2:58 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Thank you s.a. How things with you?

Posted : 3rd May 2021 7:53 pm
 Boro
(@boro)
Topic starter

Just gone and blown a £150 after being well up on fobt. Why didn’t I stop because I can’t ?

Posted : 4th May 2021 1:28 pm
Page 72 / 77

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close