Back again

24 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Hi all

Similar story to alot of you, had a huge relapse a few months back and gambled ever since losing around £7,000. It's only now that I've realised that this addiction is killing me, changing me, ruining my finances and my future. My gf has been so supportive and I still chuck it back in her face - I've relapsed over 5 times and she still understand, what did I do to deserve support like that?

This is the lowest I've ever felt in the 7 years I've been an addict. I've signed up to Gamstop but found loopholes so all I can do is sell my smart phone (online sports betting is my poision), hand over my cards and realise i'm incapable of controlling this without further support.

I had this strange thing when I bet - say I had £186 in my account, I'd gamble until it got to £200 because it's a nice even figure to withdraw - needless to say if i did get to £200 i'd lose the lot anyway but anybody else the same?

I've read some great things about this Allen Carr book.. can anybody vouch for this? I'm going away next week and seems like a great thing to read as I start my journey hopefully back to normality.

TB

Posted : 29th August 2018 3:51 pm
JW_
 JW_
(@jw_)

Hi TB,

I've not long read Allen Carr's book and would definitely recommend it! It's worked absolute wonders for me.

Good luck with your recovery.

JW

Posted : 29th August 2018 4:07 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks JW, I'll have to give it a try - willing to try anything and everything at the moment

Posted : 29th August 2018 4:17 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks JW, I'll have to give it a try - willing to try anything and everything at the moment

Posted : 29th August 2018 4:18 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Day 1 gamble free. Only a day but everyone starts somewhere. Feeling ok. I’d usually have lost atleast £200 today

Posted : 29th August 2018 10:11 pm
TM1985
(@tm1985)

Defo recommend Allen Carr book Tb1010. Helped me change mindset in those early days. If we feel that we are just 'not gambling' by depriving ourselves of a bet then it implies that we will one day succumb or reward ourselves by going back to gambling. Been there done that. We have to choose to never gamble again this book might help with that. Good luck my friend. You are in the right place.

Posted : 29th August 2018 10:16 pm
samorgo
(@samorgo)

Well done Tb. I absolutely understand the even/round number thing. I could never have odd pence in my online gambling accounts so I would bet until it was a round pound and then it would need to be a round number of pounds... yes the target would never be met (or enough) and eventually I would lose the lot.

I have read Alan Carr's book. It didn't stop me from gambling but it definitely raises some interesting ideas and gives food for thought. I have reread it a few times too to give me some strength when I have been struggling so it's definitely worth a go.

We are all here to support you so all the best. Keep fighting - each day you remain gamble free the further you step away from the hideous existence of addiction.

Posted : 29th August 2018 10:19 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks TM and Samorgo, really appreciate you commenting. I’m off to pick the book up today and I’m not expecting miracles but even if it helps in the slightest it’ll be worth it.

Onto day 2. I won’t gamble today.

Posted : 30th August 2018 7:19 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Day 3. feeling ok.

Posted : 31st August 2018 11:52 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Day 4. Currently gone away to Cyprus so this will be a nice break and I believe online gambling is banned here so no temptation. Hoping I’ll come back on day 10 gamble free!!

Posted : 1st September 2018 11:36 pm
(@Anonymous)

I’ve been here before back in February, I hit an all time low and turned it around pretty quickly! I abstained for around 2 months before winning a harmless bet that turned me back into what I was doing before - I told myself for long periods that I was in control but I wasn’t.

Today I start again. I’ve installed Gamban as a starting point but with all the software and breaks in the world - I guess they don’t work unless you want them to!

Going to keep an eye on this thread - good luck all.

Posted : 2nd September 2018 1:34 am
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks for your comment Prendo. Have you tried gamstop too? It’s really worked for me so far.

Day 5 today, longest I’ve been gf for about a year and I already feel more in touch with the outside world and paying more attention to loved ones. Let’s keep this going to a week.

Posted : 2nd September 2018 7:15 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Done day 6. Had some urges today but it was just boredom and I’ve managed to resist. Glad my blocks are working!

I’ll be hitting a week gf tomorrow πŸ™‚

Posted : 3rd September 2018 9:39 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

A week gf!! Feeling positive and strong. No urges today. Let’s get to 10 days

Posted : 4th September 2018 8:58 pm
JW_
 JW_
(@jw_)

Well done on your first week! Keep it going.

JW

Posted : 5th September 2018 8:26 am
Page 1 / 2

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close