334 days GF How my life has changed for the better

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@aliwonton1)
Topic starter

334 days GF. I feel a real achievement with this. Gambling used to be my life. Bet after bet, chasing every day with no ending in sight of what I was trying to achieve. Now I am lest stressed, more happy within myself. First time in my life I feel I am in control of my life. I am a compulsive gambler and always will be, but it dose not control my life anymore as I don’t bet in anyway. You can never win when a bookies is involved. Stay strong folks and stay GF. 

Posted : 13th March 2021 11:49 am
(@charlieboy)

Hi aliwonton, you're doing great. Being a compulsive gambler doesn't define who you are, it's a part of your life that you put in the past whilst giving it the respect it deserves. Your looking at life in a different way now and that is what we have to do in recovery....effect that change in ourselves that helps us live life in a different way

Posted : 13th March 2021 1:06 pm
Poblwc
(@poblwc)

Thanks for sharing your story you are an inspiration to someone like me who is starting her journey 

Posted : 13th March 2021 8:17 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)

Congratulations Aliwanton on your excellent progress. 

It is always good to read of friends enjoying successful recoveries. Thank you for sharing with us. 

Keep up the good work. 

Aum

Posted : 13th March 2021 8:46 pm
(@mp3span)

Thanks for sharing. I personally gamble on sports games (soccer)

didn't know I was an addict until my brother challenged me to stop and I couldn't. I tried other distractions like music and working out etc. still nothing 

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Forum admin

Posted : 14th March 2021 1:21 am
st3v3n
(@st3v3n)

Well done 🙂

Posted : 14th March 2021 2:24 am
(@beat_gambling_today)

Posted by: aliwonton1

334 days GF. I feel a real achievement with this. Gambling used to be my life. Bet after bet, chasing every day with no ending in sight of what I was trying to achieve. Now I am lest stressed, more happy within myself. First time in my life I feel I am in control of my life. I am a compulsive gambler and always will be, but it dose not control my life anymore as I don’t bet in anyway. You can never win when a bookies is involved. Stay strong folks and stay GF. 

This is just sensational. A short inspirational read. People like you exemplify how it is possible to be successful on this journey. Thanks for being a role model to us all. Good work 

Posted : 14th March 2021 3:32 am
Seanj777
(@seanj777)

Great going. Good reads inspire you to drive on 

Posted : 15th March 2021 8:58 am
(@aliwonton1)
Topic starter

Hi guys, thanks so much for the kind messages above they mean so much. 336 GF has been a journey. At the beginning a few wee urges, but what I learned was how to deal with the urges, kept busy, reading a book, walking and fifa 21. They won’t go away, they will always in my head saying this time if you gambled it would be so more controlled. I had fallen into that before 6 months GF and you think you can control it. My advice to anyone is just don’t gamble. Once a compulsive gambler, always a compulsive. I would always end up worse than my gambling was before. First Cheltenham without a bet in 22 years, that’s how far I have come. Stay strong folks a GF future is exactly what you need. 

Posted : 15th March 2021 10:53 am
Hawkeye19
(@hawkeye19)

Well done I can totally relate. 221 days free of my 30 year habit. Stay strong ?

Posted : 15th March 2021 8:23 pm

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close