166 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
24.3 K Views
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Thank you Roch. Hope your having a good weekend. 

I am enjoying watching England play in the Euros. Good match so far but what pleases me most is that I haven't gambled on it.

The addiction has been pestering me for a few weeks but I suppose that was to be expected. 

Aum ?

Posted : 13th June 2021 2:31 pm
(@bladesman)

Hi Aum, hope you are well. Just seen your message on my diary, it's much appreciated. You are ticking the days off nicely and will soon become a member of the 1 year club.

All the best 🙂

Posted : 14th June 2021 5:16 pm
joannieb
(@joannieb)

Well done to both of you ? what a great achievement ?

Posted : 14th June 2021 9:53 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Thank you Bladesman & Joannie. I appreciate your support and encouragement.

Hello Diary.

Sunny again ? so will have breakfast than go for a walk.

Being gamble-free means I can enjoy my day without any worries.

Aum ?

Posted : 16th June 2021 7:47 am
(@rochg)

Good afternoon Stephen and phew - what a scorcher on what has been the hottest days of the year.  Even the flies are holding up little white flags and seem easy to splat with my trusty rolled-up Daily Mail.

But, as you rightly infer, it's sunnier and brighter without the impediment of addiction. 

I walk tall, like you walk tall, Stephen. Lets continue that journey. It's rude not to!

Posted : 16th June 2021 5:21 pm
(@debsy371)

Hello my friend. I am pleased to see your journey is still going well. Sending my very best wishes x

Posted : 17th June 2021 10:09 am
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Thank you for your ongoing support Roch & Debsy. It has helped me enormously and I will forever be grateful.

Hello Diary.

Yesterday was a sobering reminder of my vulnerability when I went to enquire about purchasing a new bed (for when I move home in a couple of months). The bed shop was near to a few bookies that I used to frequent and as the bus neared my destination, I had urges to gamble. Presumably, it was the addict part of my brain recognising where I was which than suggested it would be easy to have a win and get the bed for free! 

After looking around the bed shop I ventured on to the city centre gardens with mealworm for the Ducks and Moorhens and was pleased that I had not been affected by the gambling urges. 

Today I am 333 days away from my last bet and am happy and contented. 

Leading up to the Euros I was tempted to have a wager on England but never gave in and now the competition is under way, I feel safe and secure in my recovery. 

Heartfelt thanks go out to everyone on the diaries and the admin team. The support of gamcare friends has played a huge part my recovery

Aum ?

Posted : 18th June 2021 10:22 am
(@rochg)

Hi Stephen,

I fully resonate with what you mean Stephen re, your bed purchasing experience.

I've been looking at holidays for a staycation and wondering how I could potentially 'subsidise' the cost; but of course that is the devil on my shoulder telling me to gamble.   I have rationalised the situation by meeting my holiday expectations half way thus paying for it with real, hard earned cash and not doing deal with the devil where I would end up in a worse situation by far.  

For one simple reason, let's say I did win enough for the full-on holiday, I know, as a (recovering) problem gambler,Iwould continue gambling till it was all gone.  And so there would been holiday. Continually injecting reality in my situation keeps me resolved, and sane.

This very much echoes your experience Stephen and I believe you have analysed and dissected this spot-on.

Onto more life and death aspects and delighted to learn the ducks and moorhen enjoying the crucial metalwork supplement keeping them ahead in the game of life!

Wishing you and enjoyable weekend Stephen where you and I will be enjoying the football for the GAME, not unduly distracted by wasteful and tedious impediments.

Posted : 18th June 2021 1:50 pm
(@rochg)

Spellcheckers can be amusing sometimes.   Mealworm, not metalwork.  I'm not sure there are any apprenticeship schemes for ducks out there 🙂 !

Posted : 18th June 2021 1:58 pm
(@tizzy1970)

Hey! Just wanted to drop by and thank you for your message and sweet poem on my diary. It was really lovely to read and made me smile ? 

There will certainly be sparkle this weekend, my Grandson is two today and we are having a family bbq tomorrow to celebrate. 

Thanks again T xx

Posted : 18th June 2021 10:32 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Thank you for visiting my diary:

Roch..... Hope your enjoying the weekend. 

When a student was asked how she was finding her metalwork class, she boldly announced: "It was riveting" ☺️.

Tizzy.... Hope you have had a great weekend celebrating your grandson's 2nd Birthday ???. 

Hello Diary. 

Feeling good. 

It is 11 months today since last I had a bet. 

Aum ?

Posted : 20th June 2021 11:44 am
joannieb
(@joannieb)

Aum

Congratulations on 11 months GF????.. You are an inspiration! I so love all your positive posts and support to so many on the forum ?

Wishing you and everyone ongoing good wishes and strength on this journey of recovery ❤️

Posted : 20th June 2021 2:42 pm
(@rochg)

Congratulations Stephen, 11 months which is really something else!  I felt I should celebrate this with a little poem for you.

As I sit here and mull

About Stephen from Hull 

It’s never been dull

As he heads to his goal

You’re keeping it strong

You’re keeping it real

Bad thoughts won’t linger

For this habit: the finger

There have been a few bumps

But now ... 11 months!

You’re doing just fine

One day at a time 🙂

Hmmm, not sure that's going to make the Oxford Press Poetry Anthology 2021 but hope you like it anyway Stephen 🙂

Posted : 21st June 2021 12:39 pm
(@charlieboy)

Weyhey arent you doing well !! So proud of you ?

Posted : 21st June 2021 5:45 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Thank you Joannie, Roch & Charlieboy. Your kind words on my diary made me happy and I really liked your poem Roch ☺️.

Hello Diary ?

Sunshine here in Hull today

A nearby busker sings

Ducklings by the city pond

Preen their delicate wings

Now they are 2 months old

Eager to fly around

But though their wings may flap a lot 

Both feet stay on the ground 

There is a lesson to be learnt

From a feathered friend

? So long as we keep trying ?

? We will get there in the end ?

Aum ?

This post was modified 3 years ago by Aum

Posted : 23rd June 2021 10:07 am
Page 9 / 12

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close