166 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
24.3 K Views
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Moorhen chicks and ducklings seem well today but still no sign of the two goslings that hatched recently and the nest seems to have been abandoned. The parents must have gone elsewhere for some reason! Hope they are ok.

I have been busy the last few days:

Thorough clean of balcony

Washing in communal laundry

& vacuumed my flat.

Thinking of moving and the housing association I like has sent me an application with an interview date for 30th June.

Trouble is that part of me doesn't want to move.

Aum?

Posted : 26th April 2021 8:32 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

281 days gamble free

Full of the joys of spring

Don't know where I'm heading

But will smile, dance and sing

For this is a great adventure

Here on mother earth

Integrity and self respect

Defining my true worth

Aum ?

Posted : 27th April 2021 12:17 pm
(@rochg)

Hi Stephen and some lovely thoughts, reflections and poetry there. 

I note you're looking at possibly moving; you've observed that there's a part of you that doesn't want to move... yet and part of you that clearly does. Which part is predominant ...?

What's drive this possibly exciting time ahead.   A fresh start ... proximity? ... a different area?  All things that wouldn't have been so easy to consider a while ago...!

Even if you stay where you are at least you are considering extra options 🙂

And never neglecting our feather friends at the duckpond, I hope they're keeping well.  

As I hope you are, Stephen 🙂

Posted : 27th April 2021 5:02 pm
(@rochg)

Good morning Stephen ... just passing by and wondering how our mutual feathered friends are getting on as they navigate getting their young charges through the difficult childhood phase..!

As you hit 283 gambling-free days, you can look back on a so many mini turning points that have changed you as a person.  You're still 'you', Stephen, and you always will be, but with that extra spiritual dimension.

Here's wishing you an enjoyable weekend and bank holiday ahead! 

Posted : 29th April 2021 11:17 am
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Thank you for visiting my diary Roch. Your support is appreciated.

All was well yesterday in the city centre gardens.

Two families of ducklings doing well in separate ponds and the two Moorhen chicks seem fine. A Moorhen is also sat on some eggs.

Mr & Mrs Goose look a bit lost. The two chicks born last week disappeared the next day so I imagine they are still grieving and wondering where they can nest in safety.

It is a hard life for birds.

Aum ?

Posted : 30th April 2021 1:20 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Sad day for the ducklings. Mother Duck had 9 yesterday and they all seemed well enough but only 2 left today. To make it worse the mother was being harassed by another female duck and her 2 boyfriends who probably want her nesting site and there was a rat sitting in the reed bed close by.

I suspect it was rats that got the geese chicks last week because their feathers were scattered over the nest when they dissapeared.

Still 2 Moorhen chicks being well looked after by their mum but they were only a few feet from where the rat was sat so seem to be very vulnerable. The mum took a swipe at the rat with its long legs but doubt it would be a match for them.

Pond at the other end of the gardens still has Mother Duck helped by another lady duck ant the 9 ducklings. Fingers crossed they will be ok but they were being harassed by a randy male duck so the whole family got out of the pond.

Enjoyed a veggie burger and chips outside a bar on the marina. It was delicious.

Aum ?

Posted : 30th April 2021 8:56 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Mayday Mayday Mayday

Without calamity

Seeing the future clearly

Composed with clarity

Gamble-Free day 285

Assessing a future world

For Aum is homeward bound 

Ship-shape with flags unfurled

Aum?

Posted : 1st May 2021 12:02 pm
(@rochg)

Hi Stephen,

It’s been a mixed bag at your duckpond and environs; and to counter the mixed fortunes of the current incumbents I bring you news from the Norfolk Broads, where I’m at for a few days.

I report a healthy population of moorhen, herons, created grebes, kites, grebe warblers , mallards, geese and lots of goslings, ducklings and chicks. An abundance of new families all boding well for the future!

And as your poetry alludes this May Day doesn’t have to be a MayDay. Far from it.

And hope you’re enjoying the weekend! 

All the very best to you, Stephen.

Posted : 1st May 2021 4:40 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Thank you Roch. I have replied on your diary. Hope you are enjoying a wonderful weekend with mother nature. 

Hello Diary.

Life is much better after nearly 286 days gamble free but there are still improvements to be made!

Three questions I need to answer:

1/ What would I like to achieve? 

2/ What am I capable of achieving?

3/ Am I prepared to make the necessary changes/sacrifices?

Aum ?

Posted : 2nd May 2021 12:03 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Sunshine seems to be hiding

Obscured by clouds and rain

But I have a waterproof head

Protecting my gamble-free brain

Aum ?

This post was modified 3 years ago by Aum

Posted : 3rd May 2021 3:58 pm
(@rochg)

Hi Stephen and I hope you are well.  I notice you are on Day 288 today and that's a terrific achievement, all gained one day at a time.  I have wondered to myself if counting days is a burden, because it can be to some.  I've decided, personally, that I will count days for as long as I feel like it. What really matters is that I choose not to gamble, one day at a time.  That's the most important decision in my eyes; of secondary importance (although still important) is whether I decide to continue to count the days.  I hope my thoughts are useful to you.

You have asked yourself a number of questions.

1/ What would I like to achieve?  As you are looking at things without borders, you are bounded by your imagination, pragmatism and stoicism.  Within those boundaries, your possibilities are far and wide. The extra financial means can be imaginatively stretched too ... without gambling, we are excellent money managers.

2/ What am I capable of achieving? Your capabilities, given the intellect and emotional intelligence with which you have been blessed, enable to you to think multi-dimensionally. Where people say "it's not possible", you question it, right?

3/ Am I prepared to make the necessary changes/sacrifices?  By merely asking this question suggests you *are*. No reverse psychology here; it's a fact.

I love your last poem.  Waterproof head ... gambling-free brain. Inspired 🙂

Wishing you an enjoyable week ahead, Stephen.

Posted : 4th May 2021 8:47 am
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Many thanks Roch. Hope you are having a good week. I read on your diary you aim to lose some weight and Debsy is keeping trim by counting calories. 

My scales read 13st 11lbs which is far too much. Need to get the weight down to 12st 07lbs. 

I enjoy a vegetarian diet but will cut out bread and snacks completely and that should do the trick. 

Breakfast: Porridge mixed with fresh fruit, nuts and seeds. 

Evening meal: Anything healthy and veggie. 

If I get peckish anytime I will have a bowl of porridge with a drink and 30 minutes later the feeling of being hungry will disappear. 

Aum ?

Posted : 5th May 2021 11:39 am
(@rochg)

We are on parallel tracks Stephen ... even our respective weights are about the same.  A superb supplementary target, this time shaking off our physical baggage...!

I have plenty of oats around .. love me porridge.

Here's to a fantastic week ahead, Stephen. We're in May.  This is the life 🙂

This post was modified 3 years ago by RochG

Posted : 5th May 2021 6:38 pm
Aum
 Aum
(@aum)
Topic starter

Thank you Roch. Healthy eating is good and can transform the way we see ourselves.

My intention is to get on the scales once a week and aim for 1-2 lbs a week weight loss.

Aum ?

Posted : 6th May 2021 8:18 pm
(@rochg)

Hi Stephen; here we are with another challenge; the weight matter of Lockdown mass.  I am 13st 5lb this morning. I'll be very happy with 13st 3lb this time next week. As I vowed I would not tell lies on Gamcare, I will be honest. 

Enjoy your 291st day leading a better life Stephen.  Every single day is a day where we can feel better about ourselves and stand taller.  And - nearer the ground - my thoughts are drawn to our feathered friends down at the duckpond and neighbourhood.  Here's to the next generation of ducks, geese, swans and more - they've gone through it and come through victorious at the other side.  There's a metaphor!  

All the best best to you, Stephen, as always.

This post was modified 3 years ago by RochG

Posted : 7th May 2021 2:05 pm
Page 5 / 12

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close