100 Days In ........

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Manic Miner
(@manic-miner)
Topic starter

Today marks y first centenary in a long time, 100 days without playing the slots.

To be honest it's getting harder to abstain, thought's keep coming into my head although I can't act upon them as the arcade's/gaminig centre's are still closed due to coronavirus, which to be honest is the only good to come out of this strange situation which has been forced upon us.

Hopefully when they do open up, facial coverings & gloves/sanatizing will be mandatory to enter the venues, therefore keeping me away as there is not a chance in hell I will wear one.  I have tried to self exclude from the venues as well online, but can't complete the process until they open, what a complete and utter croc of s***e, you should be able to do the process over FaceTime/zoom etc without ever having to go near an establishment that is designed to draw you in and keep you there until you are broke/can't get access to anymore funds.

I'm in the process of reading a book, which is probably a little out of date (published 2010 time, researched from late 90's to 2008) which explains in great detail about machine designer's ultimate aim been to keep people at the machine playing.  The book in itself is a little hard to read sometimes, but gives a really good insight in how physiological research & design goes into slot machines so they draw people in & keep them playing.

The weather seems a little indecisive today, heavy rain this morning when I got up to periods of bright warm sunshine or heavy overcast, wish it would make it's mind up, on day's like this I can't get any motivation to do anything.

To be fair, I'm going to take the dog for a long walk and take the rest of the day from there.

Posted : 21st June 2020 12:05 pm
Forum admin
(@forum-admin)
Admin

Hello Manic Miner

Many congratulations on reaching 100 days gamble free. If you look back at your first post in October 2019 it's clear you've come a long way!

You may find it helpful to post your updates all on one topic instead of starting a new one each time. That makes it easier to follow your progress, for others to find and reply to your posts. To jog your memory, your first diary post was here:

https://www.gamcare.org.uk/forum/recovery-diaries/final-conclusion-got-to-stop/#post-1942813

And your second was here:

https://www.gamcare.org.uk/forum/recovery-diaries/next-chapter-starts-here/#post-1947567

We can even merge your topics together into one diary. 

Do keep updating us on your progress and here's to the next 100 days!

Best wishes

Deirdre
Forum Admin

Posted : 22nd June 2020 8:55 pm
got2bdone
(@got2bdone)

Posted by: Manic Miner

Today marks y first centenary in a long time, 100 days without playing the slots.

To be honest it's getting harder to abstain, thought's keep coming into my head although I can't act upon them as the arcade's/gaminig centre's are still closed due to coronavirus, which to be honest is the only good to come out of this strange situation which has been forced upon us.

Hopefully when they do open up, facial coverings & gloves/sanatizing will be mandatory to enter the venues, therefore keeping me away as there is not a chance in hell I will wear one.  I have tried to self exclude from the venues as well online, but can't complete the process until they open, what a complete and utter croc of s***e, you should be able to do the process over FaceTime/zoom etc without ever having to go near an establishment that is designed to draw you in and keep you there until you are broke/can't get access to anymore funds.

I'm in the process of reading a book, which is probably a little out of date (published 2010 time, researched from late 90's to 2008) which explains in great detail about machine designer's ultimate aim been to keep people at the machine playing.  The book in itself is a little hard to read sometimes, but gives a really good insight in how physiological research & design goes into slot machines so they draw people in & keep them playing.

The weather seems a little indecisive today, heavy rain this morning when I got up to periods of bright warm sunshine or heavy overcast, wish it would make it's mind up, on day's like this I can't get any motivation to do anything.

To be fair, I'm going to take the dog for a long walk and take the rest of the day from there.

Best of luck with your recovery and congrats on reaching 100 days. 

What is the book called, sounds like an interesting read. 

Posted : 23rd June 2020 6:15 am
Manic Miner
(@manic-miner)
Topic starter

Quick update -;

Now 171 days since I last played the slots.

Temptation is still around, more so now the venue's are back open but luckily for me I will not go near them at the moment with the current situation which requires face coverings to be worn, so this is a slight positive tat has come out of this supposed coronavirus pandemic.

Keeping busy with work at the minute as well & my other projects.

Posted : 31st August 2020 4:27 am
(@charlieboy)

Hi manic miner well done on your gamble free time. I hope for you that if the time comes when face coverings don't have to be worn you will be far enough forward that you can avoid the venues altogether. You're doing good

Posted : 31st August 2020 11:16 am

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close