Relapse

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Ive been on this forum a long time now. Havent posted for a few years but one of my last posts i was in a bad place with debts due to gambling on fobts and online gambling.

Over the last couple of years i got my head down and got on with the battle of clearing my debts, didnt set foot in a bookies. I did however place football bets throughout that time on a saturday. Not major amounts of money but just something for a bit of interest.

All my debts were cleared, upgrades done to the house, money in the bank, going to the gym feeling healthy and lost a lot of weight. Finally i felt like i was on the right track. Until one fateful night in november when i found myself in a bookies. I dont know how and what the trigger was but you will all know the rest. Sitting right now with no money and £2000 of debt. Not a big amount compared to previous amounts but its eating away at me as the days go on.

Just feel as if i dont have the stomach for the fight this time and what to do now. 🙁

Thanks for listening

Posted : 31st January 2017 11:51 am
(@Anonymous)

Hi Davie

chin up mate , like you said you got a lot in life you built up yourself , job , money , nice home leisure activities , and by leisure activities you can not include gambling , i do aswell but its not is it , it don,t follow the same trends as any healthy leisure activity , gym , cineam , eating out , sporting events ,concerts all u pay your money hopefully have fun come out but gambling twists and fculs with ur brain until your mess praying on a number , i really don,t think most active gamblers can stay in control its not how it works its far too intense as loosing money hurts and you want to respond immediatly or if u win big the buzz is there and ill go a little bit more and a little bit more#

come on you abstained u done it , if you would of self excluded u might of been saved from the last heavy loss , i can tell your intelligent and a fighter so like your post says RELAPSE thats what it is go again be happy and don,t be tempted put blocks there

all da best

Posted : 31st January 2017 12:41 pm
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks for the reply spraggy.

I just dont know what it is though. I get no buzz from a big win on the machines or online. Its almost as if im punishing myself for some reason? I dont need a lot of money to survive so why do i do it?

One thing i cant handle is being in debt especially through gambling. All they days getting up in the freezing cold, working outside in all weathers just to ruin it all in a couple of months just isnt sitting well with me just now.

When i do footie accumulators your talking ВЈ5 maximum on a line. But i wont think twice at spinning ВЈ100-£200 on one spin of the roulette wheel.

Crazy

Posted : 31st January 2017 4:05 pm
(@Anonymous)

Hi Davie,

Firstly, awesome work on the initial recovery, that time away shows you can do it and this was just a moment of madness. Unfortunately the hard work makes the loss feel that much worse but I guarantee you're in much better shape (physically and emotionally) than you ever were before you gave up.

The reason I felt I had to comment on your post is because it rang true with me. I have a problem with slots and FOBTs and will think nothing of throwing in hundreds but, like yourself, I also enjoy a football bet which has never caused me any problems (tenner on a Saturday and maybe a few quid on the darts). What's stranger is that I probably get more excitement from these little bets (even though the returns are minmimal) than I did from the machines where, win or lose, the whole thing was just a zombie-like trance.

I know you can do this again, it's not like you've lost everything, you have made great gains since the last time so write it off and move on. If you're not feeling upto the fight then maybe self-exclude from your local bookies to prevent any further harm.

Well done on your years of not gambling and here's to years more 🙂

Phil

Posted : 31st January 2017 4:20 pm

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close