FOBT's

185 Posts
51 Users
0 Likes
12.7 K Views
DaveUK
(@daveuk)
Topic starter

i would imagine just the title of this thread has prompted loads of you to click on it as without any doubt these are what are causing a majority of the problems - particulalry the roulette feature.

I want to try and get through to anyone who has played, does play or is tempted to play the roulette machine as I am sick an tired of peoples lives being ruined whilst the government just turns a blind eye.

I will try and post on a regular basis and if I can help keep just one person off them it will be worth it.

Here is my opening question and directed to those who play or are tempted to play them:-

'Given that the machines make £40,000 a year profit and everyone else loses - what makes you think you are special enough to win'?

Discuss !

Posted : 26th November 2012 5:34 pm
(@Anonymous)

I certainly dont believe i am special enough to beat these machines, to be honest they have nigh on wrecked my life, my family and i will be using this forum to ensure i never touch them again...Like you said the goverment need to wake up support the people that have fallen foul these EVIL machines.

Steve

Posted : 26th November 2012 9:30 pm
DaveUK
(@daveuk)
Topic starter

Cheers Steve - good post and sounds as if you have the measure of the machines.

I hope to use this thread with some provocative questions which will get people to be really honest with themselves.

Posted : 27th November 2012 1:35 pm
DaveUK
(@daveuk)
Topic starter

Todays question - why haven't you self-excluded at least from the shops close to where you live?

Posted : 27th November 2012 1:36 pm
(@Anonymous)

Hi Dave, good post, well done for creating some debate & shared information here,

I have stopped for over four years now. The problem with me was that I had 46 shops within a 13 mile radius - even if I had excluded from every single one, there is a snowballs chance in hell that at least half would have remembered me when I walked in the door - not necessarily their fault but staff turnover, as well and the multitude of part-time staff, is high.

The other thing to remember is that it is only a deterrent and not a cure. It is the right thing to do in the beginning as you are generally very vulnerable and it can be a liberating experience after the initial awkwardness of going through with it but you still have to work very hard on yourself as well.

This is my reason - I always knew that I would find a way and it just wasn’t enough for me at the time. Thanks again for your post here.

JamesP

Posted : 27th November 2012 8:16 pm
DaveUK
(@daveuk)
Topic starter

Thanks JamesP and many congratulations on stopping for 4 years - really good achievement.

Yes there are so many shops in proximity but you can cover about 5 shops on the same form and its helpful to leave them a small picture. I agree a person may not be recognised but the humiliation of being asked to leave if they do spot you would act as a great deterrent. It is by no means a total cure but can be just a small safety net.

Well done again on the 4 years - losing the desire is the best way of all.

Thanks for posting.

Dave

Posted : 3rd December 2012 9:12 pm
DaveUK
(@daveuk)
Topic starter

Next time you are tempted to play the roulette machine just ask yourself what you are hoping to achieve.

Will you win? - maybe

Wiill you lose? maybe

If you win will you eventually lose? - definately !!

Nobody - absolutely nobody (and 1000's have tried) has ever beat them !

Posted : 4th December 2012 12:11 pm
(@Anonymous)

Obviously I won't name them but I do the figures up each week for my shop and, YTD, my shop is in profit to the tune of £400k from FOBTS! Disgusting. We're not even in London but a fairly quiet little area.

Posted : 6th December 2012 2:08 am
(@Anonymous)

I also had a big problem with roulette and blackjack, although online was way worse as you did not have real value for money.

I'm about 10 days without a gamble now, I walked into the bookies with only £10 with an open mind looking to make a quick £10 or a big put off.

I placed a £5 wager on BJ across 3 hands, dealer had 20 not one of my hands was able to beat it with what ever I did I couldn't have one, I then repeated again dealer beat me with whatever I did incapable of beating me my £10 gone in around 40 seconds!

the bloke watching me laughed saying the dealer can't win again it's 'impossible' but £20 init and wagered it all across 4 hands.. dealer BJ straight away.

how these machines are legal are beyond me.. since then I have not thought about wasting a penny, I think it has really helped me realising these machines are a pointless joke and I feel really sorry for people that still play them.

Posted : 6th December 2012 2:12 am
DaveUK
(@daveuk)
Topic starter

Good post Robb.

Thinking it through logically why would the machine pick a winning number or card when it doesn't have to?

To start with we think we can win, then by the time we realise we won't its difficult to stop because we want our money back (and also enjoy the buzz so much we just can't stop). I also feel they are a way to relieve boredom.

Anyway best you stay stopped as those machines are a lot bigger than you are and will take, take, take - just because they can.

Instead of the bookmaker taking the mickey out of you (which is what he was doing) you do it to them by not playing. Shame everyone didn't stop playing as loads of shops would close and profits would plummet - then who would be laughing !

Posted : 7th December 2012 5:11 pm
DaveUK
(@daveuk)
Topic starter

Thanks for your post 1983.

The figure you quote does not surprise me at as they just eat money for fun. Although its your job it must be difficult sometimes seeing the misery they cause?

This said - nobody is physically forced to play them so people only have themselves to blame for feeding in note after note, card transaction after card transaction without any respect for money, themselves or their families.

At least with a football bet, or picking a horse / dog (none of which ever interests me) you can use a bit of skill and judgement but with the machines it is total luck and the odds are heavily stacked against the punter. Even if you get a winner they know they will get it back plus more.

Thanks again for the insight.

Posted : 7th December 2012 5:20 pm
DaveUK
(@daveuk)
Topic starter

Only you can decide if you will be gamble free today.

Yesterday has gone, you can learn from it but not change it and you can take care of tomorrow when it arrives.

The machines are all standing in a line ready to take, take, take - they can only take if you give!! Otherwise they are just useless pieces of metal with a few lights that flash.

Make the right decisions - if you don't who is to blame?

Posted : 7th December 2012 5:24 pm
DaveUK
(@daveuk)
Topic starter

You versus an incredibly clever and sophisticated machine.

Only ever one winner !!

Posted : 9th December 2012 11:54 am
DaveUK
(@daveuk)
Topic starter

Here are a few things I used to think when I used to play the roulette machines, the outcomes are in brackets:-

- I will just have a couple of pounds (a couple of pounds turned into £100's due to chasing)

- At least I dont lose as much as other people (and?)

- If I just win x a day it would mean y in a year (never worked)

- You only live once (poor excuse)

- I don't spend my money on 'this' or 'that' (its still a waste)

- I am going to play just to prove I can stop when I want to (could never stop)

- Oh I left without gambling everything in my wallet, didn't I do well (yes but it went in eventually)

- Oh I took some winnings this time, I am good (they always got it back plus more)

- What I lost is only the same as half a mortgage payment or a couple of bills and why shouldn't I spend money on non-essentials !! (its still a waste)

- I am just going to try and win back the amount I have just paid for 'this' or 'that@ (ended up losing the amount I aimed to win plus much more)

- At least my loss is helping keep someone in a job (true but poor excuse)

- I have more than made up for the losses by working really hard to earn money in the past (its still a waste)

What I am trying to say folks is don't trivialise and excuse your behaviour - its a waste of time and money.

Posted : 9th December 2012 9:29 pm
DaveUK
(@daveuk)
Topic starter

From the moment you feed your first note in and press the spin button you are chasing - however big or small the bet is !!

Posted : 10th December 2012 1:42 pm
Page 1 / 13

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close