Coping with co-workers talking about gambling

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Martin91
(@martin91)
Topic starter

I am now up too 179 days gamble free but this weekend oh my god I have not had such a urge to put a bet on for probably a couple of months.

and I know EXACTLY what triggered it, being moved areas at work I have been moved to a new area and they all gamble and talk about it a lot, my old area knew what had gone on so avoided really talking about it with me. 

it sounds crazy because of all the blocks I have I was actually at work considering driving to Any betting shops and just hoping they wouldn’t realise I had self excluded all because all I wanted to do was put a bet on Swindon to beat Exeter , literally Thursday and Friday it’s all I wanted and the worst I have experienced since going gamble free again.

very very gladly though I never gave in and have stayed gamble free, but now I’m worrying about going into work and having a repeat this week. And next week etc.

just when you think yeah this is getting better it all seems to get hard again. 

Does anyone else have similar experiences with people around you talking about it constantly? I don’t feel I know any of my new team well enough to tell them so feeling properly stuck now , frustrating as it is.

This topic was modified 4 years ago by Forum admin

Posted : 2nd February 2020 11:10 pm
Forum admin
(@forum-admin)
Admin

Hello Martin91,

Congratulations on 179 days gamble free! You raise an interesting question about coping with external triggers. 

It can be hard to ignore gambling being discussed around you at work. I don't know how you feel about letting colleagues know you prefer not to gamble. This may or may not be something you're comfortable with. I know some forum users have mentioned that colleagues know not to discuss gambling around them. 

Anyway, I've taken the liberty of changing the title of your post to highlight your question more. Hopefully this will prompt a few more forum users to contribute their experiences and suggestions. 

Keep posting,

Forum Admin

Posted : 7th February 2020 10:53 pm
Martin91
(@martin91)
Topic starter

That’s my main problem though because I work in a factory and recently I have moved zones , I worked in my old zone for 4yrs and everyone knew everything and I was comfortable with that . I’m just not comfortable telling people in my new zone as I don’t know any of them well enough I don’t feel. Thankyou though forum admin up to day 185 now.

Posted : 9th February 2020 12:32 am

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close