[Sticky] Want to DO Something? --> READ THIS!

86 Posts
44 Users
0 Likes
36.6 K Views
kel21
(@kel21)

Hi thank you for your reply. You are right I really want to change and do something about it. I'm just not sure how I am ever going to get out of this hole with all the debt I've accumulated. Well this is day one anyway.

Posted : 22nd January 2018 8:48 am
(@mixer)
Topic starter

It is Day One, Kel21, and time for you to take stock and work out your first steps. I'd suggest phoning Gamcare in the first instance to help you clear your head a little 🙂

Posted : 22nd January 2018 5:01 pm
(@mixer)
Topic starter

Thanks Ineffable... appreciated 🙂 !

I've just added a video link to a TEDs talk in which Juston Rees Larcombe, a recovering problem gambler, talks about his journey. In my opinion, it's a must-watch...

Posted : 24th January 2018 6:00 pm
(@mixer)
Topic starter

Thanks. Ineffable. Really appreciate your kind comments 🙂

Posted : 2nd February 2018 9:29 pm
(@mixer)
Topic starter

Thanks, Ineffable - anything to help us all understand and deal with this devastating addiction.

Posted : 5th February 2018 7:13 pm
(@Anonymous)

Thank you for such an informative, supportive, and encouraging post. I think I will read It every day for motivation. Keep strong everyone

Posted : 6th February 2018 12:02 am
Christer1
(@christer1)

Wow just read the post how true is that man

Posted : 6th February 2018 2:45 am
(@mixer)
Topic starter

Thanks, Hopeful, Christer1 - I'm glad you find my post useful. I'm always tinkering with it, improving it, and if you have any ideas to add then I'm all ears 🙂

Posted : 8th February 2018 12:11 am
geordie
(@geordie)

I can reccomend a great book...No Big Deal by John Coates. He's arecovering addict who now runs a re-hab, at least he did when I read the book!

Great post mixer, thanks.

Posted : 8th February 2018 1:08 am
(@Anonymous)

Deleted

Posted : 8th February 2018 10:13 am
(@mixer)
Topic starter

Thank you for the thumbs up PositiveAction and geordie ... I've added your book suggestion to the list.

Posted : 16th February 2018 6:23 pm
(@Anonymous)

Great post, starting to realise how easy it is to get wrapped up in the details of your own nightmare. Gambling affects us all differently, we chose our form of poison and our doses vary. We all get left financially crippled and full of regret. The thoughts of why oh why and self loathing are consistent across all stories. The truth is this is happening to people 24/7 around the globe. I always allow gambling in when feeling down and allow it to smash me down to rock bottom. I’ve been trying to beat this for the best part of year now. Each time I’ve lasted longer than the time before. It’s almost scary how similar it always is when I go back. This addictive behaviour can be kept at bay but when I unleash it then it’s game over for me. I’ve done this so many times now, it used to be exhausting but at this stage it’s tedious. I want to stand strong with you guys for the rest of my life now, I can’t allow myself to partake in something which always leaves me and my wallet so empty.

Posted : 26th February 2018 11:32 pm
(@mixer)
Topic starter

Hi movingforward and thank you for your kind comments.

You've hit the nail on the head. This gambling 'lark' is (way) beyond tedious and getting off this 'hamster wheel', getting out of this interminable 'rut' of 'relapse after relapse' has to be the way to go.

Why not join a Challenge here, alongside others who think the same way. There's the well-established and popular 2018 Challenge and the Guru Challenge, (which I've set up). Both, I believe, are motivational and might help you.

I honestly believe the secret to not gambling is putting blocks in place (like handing over financial control) because our willpower normally fades over time, such is our gambling mindset. No money = no gambling. Is that hoisting the white flag? Yup. But whatever works!

Of course, counselling, GA, chatting to Gamcare, getting family support etc.can help immensely, too. If we want to do this, we can. But if nothing changes, nothing changes. It's going to take something special from you, movingforward2017, to stop this rut.

Are you up for it? Only you know the answer... 🙂

Posted : 27th February 2018 1:31 pm
(@Anonymous)

I’ve padlocked the door with permanent self exclusion from every online bookmaker I’ve ever used. I’m currently skint so won’t be able to gamble until Friday. I’ll get my last pay check after losing my job and that money will all be withdrawn as soon as it enters my bank. The next step will be to find a new source of income and to manage my money in cash. It’s the accessibility and ease of it all online which cripples me. I know for a fact I’d never walk into a highstreet bookies and flush multiple hundreds away. Truth is the vast majority of us will develop an affliction with something in our lifetimes which will cost us money and our peace of mind. Some chose drugs, some chose retail and we chose gambling. I’ve made the wrong choice multiple times over, I’m not greedy but gambling makes me lose sight of everything. I know that the way I behave when I gamble is non sustainable. Like you say, we can forget this and that is when we slip up. I’ve checked into the challenge and I’ve got to make it my duty to read back on previous posts and remind myself what gambling results in. It’s not like it’s happened once or twice, it’s happened 4/5 times over now and each time is very very similar and always dark.

It’s not worth it, it never was and never will be.

Posted : 27th February 2018 4:38 pm
(@mixer)
Topic starter

Movingforward - Good to read, the more blocks you put in place the better. Don't let the gambling 'devil' in you find an 'out'. I'm sorry to hear about your job situation. Losing your job can be without question a traumatic event and I wish you well as you seek new employment.

If there is a 'silver lining' to this, then this could be the 'line in the sand' you've been waiting for, in a way .... a time to stop gambling forever, always taking a day-to-day approach where you say to yourself, "Just for today, I am NOT going to gamble".

You know, I know, everyone knows we simply can't keep relapsing and go through the heartache time after time. I wish you well my friend.

Posted : 3rd March 2018 1:05 pm
Page 2 / 6

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close