Returning member ???

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
samparry3
(@samparry3)
Topic starter

good morning everyone,

a few years ago I had an addiction to blackjack, but since the introduction of a stake limits on machines in betting shops it’s something I now never do.

i am now however struggling with high stake betting on football and I’m seeking support and help before the problem becomes severe financially. 
I have no online accounts and haven’t for a couple of years now they are all banned through Gamcare,the issue I’m finding Is the machines in the betting shops where the you can search for bets on a machine in there (can’t think of it’s name), not just a standard betting sheet, so there and lots more games and it’s easier to push hundreds of pounds into the machine and place a bet on random football without the embarrassment of going up to the counter. 
I hate myself after and effects my mood awfully. What frustrates and confuses me is In the Past 6 months I’ve left a stale underwhelming job, and now start a new job which I love and has given me a new lease of life, I’ve also got into a relationship in the past 6 months so I’m really happy in other aspects of life! Gambling is just dragging me down.

i don’t feel confident to confide in immediate family or friends so I’m seeking communication on here!

day 1 starts here??

have a good day everyone!

Posted : 18th February 2020 8:10 am
Murlo
(@murlo)

Welcome samparry3,

sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult time but well done on seeking support. Just a couple of early thoughts. You can self exclude from all bookies through the MOSES scheme. Blocking gambling transactions through your bank is also a good idea. If your current bank doesn’t allow it then have a look at accounts like MONZO. If I am out and about I only have a small amount of cash with me. Finally, fill your time with other things. Maybe take up an old hobby or start a new one. I understand that you don’t feel able to talk to your family at the moment and it has to feel right for you to do that. I did find it helped me confide in my husband. He is able to help me control my finances and distract me if I get an urge to gamble. That is just a personal perspective though. If you haven’t already, have a one to one chat with GamCare advisor. They can help with suggestions around other strategies. I look forward to hearing how you progress and wish you all the best x

Posted : 18th February 2020 9:48 am
samparry3
(@samparry3)
Topic starter

Posted by: Murlo

Welcome samparry3,

sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult time but well done on seeking support. Just a couple of early thoughts. You can self exclude from all bookies through the MOSES scheme. Blocking gambling transactions through your bank is also a good idea. If your current bank doesn’t allow it then have a look at accounts like MONZO. If I am out and about I only have a small amount of cash with me. Finally, fill your time with other things. Maybe take up an old hobby or start a new one. I understand that you don’t feel able to talk to your family at the moment and it has to feel right for you to do that. I did find it helped me confide in my husband. He is able to help me control my finances and distract me if I get an urge to gamble. That is just a personal perspective though. If you haven’t already, have a one to one chat with GamCare advisor. They can help with suggestions around other strategies. I look forward to hearing how you progress and wish you all the best x

thank you for taking the time to reply!

the Moses scheme is something I’ve looked into and it may help a touch but as we know I’m only ever a drive away from bookies that aren’t so local.

in terms of my bank account I do never bet online or over the counter by card so this is something I’m ok with I believe!

the hobbies thing is correct and when I’m busier it helps more, frustrating thing is you can be having a good day and you only need a rush of blood of a few minutes before driving to the bookies.

only carrying a small amount of cash is something I’m going to attempt to do more and more. I really hope to make some progress soon and I know baby steps will be needed!

Posted : 18th February 2020 12:27 pm
(@jono86)

I’ve just lost my partner from not being honest, I’d definitely recommend being honest she’s found out everything but not from me and now I’ve had to move back to my mums and I don’t think I’ll get another chance. My mum and dad have been brilliant so turn to family they may shock you 

Posted : 18th February 2020 4:29 pm
samparry3
(@samparry3)
Topic starter

Got up feeling better today! Working away so in for a busy day so I can’t imagine any urges coming which is good.

heres to a good day ??
looking forward to watching the football tonight 

Posted : 19th February 2020 11:27 am
samparry3
(@samparry3)
Topic starter

Posted by: Jono86

I’ve just lost my partner from not being honest, I’d definitely recommend being honest she’s found out everything but not from me and now I’ve had to move back to my mums and I don’t think I’ll get another chance. My mum and dad have been brilliant so turn to family they may shock you 

Sorry to read your story mate and hope you’re ok, I get where you are coming from just can’t bring myself too. Hoping for a positive few weeks and if not I may have to follow that advice 

Posted : 19th February 2020 11:28 am
(@jono86)

Honestly mate be honest now, wish I had been, fort I could deal with it but better to be out there and open. I don’t think I’ll get back what I’ve lost now

Posted : 19th February 2020 11:51 am
(@moonice)

Hello Sam,

Good on you for coming back here and looking for help before it could get worse for you. I gambled for 7 years and got into large debts, until one day, my father seen me looking at a loan on my computer and questioned me about it, and ended up finding out about my gambling. Since, I can talk to him whenever I need to, he understands my problem and supports me in any way he can - I have two regrets in life, the first is becoming addicted to gambling, and the second is never reaching out to my parents when I was young and knew I had a gambling problem but instead thinking I could deal with it on my own until every month I get paid and gamble it within the first week and struggle for the fore coming weeks until next payday, rinse and repeat.

Although it is daunting, even when my father found out, I was still uneasy about talking to him about it and telling him the details of my debts but once it was off my chest and I stopped gambling, I felt like a knew person and like any form of depression just lifted - so please considering speaking to someone who may be able to support you, it really did help me.

Posted : 19th February 2020 6:03 pm
samparry3
(@samparry3)
Topic starter

Posted by: Moonice

Hello Sam,

Good on you for coming back here and looking for help before it could get worse for you. I gambled for 7 years and got into large debts, until one day, my father seen me looking at a loan on my computer and questioned me about it, and ended up finding out about my gambling. Since, I can talk to him whenever I need to, he understands my problem and supports me in any way he can - I have two regrets in life, the first is becoming addicted to gambling, and the second is never reaching out to my parents when I was young and knew I had a gambling problem but instead thinking I could deal with it on my own until every month I get paid and gamble it within the first week and struggle for the fore coming weeks until next payday, rinse and repeat.

Although it is daunting, even when my father found out, I was still uneasy about talking to him about it and telling him the details of my debts but once it was off my chest and I stopped gambling, I felt like a knew person and like any form of depression just lifted - so please considering speaking to someone who may be able to support you, it really did help me.

Thank you very much for your reply! And I’m glad your story had a positive conclusion!

im trying to get the strength up to do it just so nervous about it!

Posted : 20th February 2020 8:51 am
samparry3
(@samparry3)
Topic starter

Well it’s my Friday today because I’ve booked tomorrow off and I’m ready for it! 
Had a long days work yesterday and it’s looking like it could be another long one today!

no urges last night because as I said yesterday with me being working away there was no time for it anyway.

the weekend will be a test I’m sure but I’m going into it feeling more positive than last weekend which is a start!

something I did forget to mention on my first post as I’ve gone from being weekly all my working life to monthly now, don’t think that has helped me, having that big chunk of money in my account. Anyone have any tips for managing money over a month?

enjoy your day! x

Posted : 20th February 2020 8:54 am
samparry3
(@samparry3)
Topic starter

Friday is here. A long day again at work so been tired this morning even after a good sleep! 
had a few urges this morning but managed to fight them off and I’m now in the gym.

think I’m off out for the afternoon somewhere with my Mrs later then a few beers for my mates birthday later.

!

Posted : 21st February 2020 12:45 pm
samparry3
(@samparry3)
Topic starter

I got through yesterday without a bet!

I had temptation in the morning but managed not too. 
Saturday is usually when I’d break down but I’ve got a busy day again so hopefully things will be ok!

have a good day!

Posted : 22nd February 2020 10:05 am

We are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also contact us for free on 0808 80 20 133. If you would like to find out more about the service before you start, including information on confidentiality, please click below. Call recordings and chat transcripts are saved for 28 days for quality assurance.

Find out more
Close