GamCare Logo
Login / Register

£2 limit on FOBT

49 posts / 0 new
Last post
Posted by
Messages
#1 Posted on:
Tue, 01/05/2018 - 19:50

ProblemGambler

Joined:
2017-07-25

Can this be true?

Posted on:
Tue, 01/05/2018 - 19:52

valdab

Joined:
2018-03-10

doesnt even matter if it is...it just means it will take you longer to lose all your money!

Posted on:
Tue, 01/05/2018 - 19:56

ProblemGambler

Joined:
2017-07-25

valdab wrote:

doesnt even matter if it is...it just means it will take you longer to lose all your money!

Not at all.  Its like taking any drug.  Small hit does not have the same effect.  Trying to win with such little money will not have the same exciting danger and euphoria, hence you will not want to play it anymore.  

Posted on:
Tue, 01/05/2018 - 20:20

ProblemGambler

Joined:
2017-07-25

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/culture/opinion/campaign-fairer-gam...

ProblemGambler wrote:

Can this be true?

Posted on:
Tue, 01/05/2018 - 20:42

valdab

Joined:
2018-03-10

thats a very good point...but also like a drug, you usually do not start out on high doses, but you can get addicted to small doses and then need more. So eventually you will go elsewhere for your fix. It doesnt solve any problem...it will just drive it elsewhere

Posted on:
Wed, 02/05/2018 - 06:48

ODAAT

Joined:
2014-11-10

ProblemGambler wrote:

valdab wrote:

doesnt even matter if it is...it just means it will take you longer to lose all your money!

Not at all.  Its like taking any drug.  Small hit does not have the same effect.  Trying to win with such little money will not have the same exciting danger and euphoria, hence you will not want to play it anymore.  

That is probably one of the most naive things I have ever heard on this forum PG & rest assured, I’ve read a LOT!  Junkies don’t stop trying for a fix just because they’ll only get a small hit!  Surely “winning” the same amount of money with a smaller wager will produce a more euphoric feeling?!?  

I did most of my damage on low stakes & for me, the beauty of the increased stake FOBT was that it bought me crashing to my knees!  As Valdab points out, I just kept @ it until I had nothing more to lose...Hours & hours @ the start of my gambling career reduced to minutes & seconds by the end & the kick up the rear end I needed to accept a) I had a gambling problem & b) I needed help to control it.

Blocks/reduced stakes/banning machines can’t fix us, we’re addicts & the only way to get our addictions under control is to rewire our brains so that we don’t need our poison anymore. 

Posted on:
Thu, 03/05/2018 - 19:21

ProblemGambler

Joined:
2017-07-25

ODAAT wrote:

ProblemGambler wrote:

valdab wrote:

doesnt even matter if it is...it just means it will take you longer to lose all your money!

Not at all.  Its like taking any drug.  Small hit does not have the same effect.  Trying to win with such little money will not have the same exciting danger and euphoria, hence you will not want to play it anymore.  

That is probably one of the most naive things I have ever heard on this forum PG & rest assured, I’ve read a LOT!  Junkies don’t stop trying for a fix just because they’ll only get a small hit!  Surely “winning” the same amount of money with a smaller wager will produce a more euphoric feeling?!?  

I did most of my damage on low stakes & for me, the beauty of the increased stake FOBT was that it bought me crashing to my knees!  As Valdab points out, I just kept @ it until I had nothing more to lose...Hours & hours @ the start of my gambling career reduced to minutes & seconds by the end & the kick up the rear end I needed to accept a) I had a gambling problem & b) I needed help to control it.

Blocks/reduced stakes/banning machines can’t fix us, we’re addicts & the only way to get our addictions under control is to rewire our brains so that we don’t need our poison anymore. 

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  My point being is that gambling addiction gets progressively worse and just like any drug it takes a stronger dosage to get the same effect.  Same applies to fixed odds betting, you start small and you often get progessively worse.  £2 bets are not going to have the same emotional and financial impact as £100  bets.  Either way its a positive step if it does get implemented, as its very hard to cover 37 numbers with just £2 and makes the game less viable.  The gambling industry know this hence the big fuss from them.

Posted on:
Thu, 03/05/2018 - 19:49

Mixer

Joined:
2016-12-03

Ah, but roulette is just one of the many games on these terminals, PG. Slot games will still take your £2 in a two-second spin, and so it's still possibly to, notionally at least, lose £30 a minute. 

The problem with being a compulsive gambler, as we are, is that we always start small and end up spending big. That's the way it is, and that's why we can't start up again. 

In any case, the terminals will just be played for longer, until all the money's gambled away; that's the bitter truth.

There's no way around it. We have to stop. 1p is 1p too much. 

"Them's the facts" :( and we have to agree to disagree on this one PG!

Posted on:
Thu, 03/05/2018 - 20:34

Ineffable

Joined:
2015-02-21

I’m in the any gambling is a problem for me - so the amount is immaterial.  However if you are not a problem gambler then I guess a smaller stake means people lose less so that is a good thing.  But for problem gamblers, the amount is a factor but only a minor factor - the compulsion is the main issue.

 

Posted on:
Thu, 03/05/2018 - 21:08

Ukds69

Joined:
2018-04-28

As a seasoned £2 stake slots gambler, this news was met with much indifference from me when announced.

Never been into roulette, real or machine but I can see why that would perhaps some effect there. The trouble is with slots, most have options for ‘turbo modes’ and speeding up whilst the reels are spinning. I’ve lost thousands in single sessions on £2 stakes alone.

But if it helps just some money not get into the hands of the sleaze ball casinos and remain in the pockets of us vulnerable GAs then that’s got to be a good start at least. How they have got the nerve to even think about contesting this is beyond belief.

Posted on:
Thu, 03/05/2018 - 23:04

Joydivider

Joined:
2015-03-11

It makes no real difference. I could get through £2 a minute on 20p stakes and thats being conservative with the estimate. It was probably nearer £3 especially when the trance set in. 

You see I was a "clever" gambler on the lower stakes.Thats how I was going to beat them because of course the machine prize was getting nearer the longer I played...... NOT! All those extra plays and it was bound to come up. No I was a sensible gambler and I was having fun.....real grimacing, cold sweat, numb fun!..not like the £2 guys who were just wasting money.....no I was not like them with loads more chances to win. I will win smaller but more often. I was 10 times cleverer then them on 20p...NOT!

Then when I was getting through £100 in well less than an hour ( I didnt keep tack of time and it felt more like half an hour to be honest) I would draw another bundle of paper out along with the cash advance fees it cost me.

Then the miser kicked in...£3 to draw £100 from a credit card what a disgrace... Im not having that...I had better be extra clever because that machine owes me now.  I will show them because it will all come out again plus £3 as the cherry on top.The discomfort and fear had started. The chemicals were rushing as the compulsive gambling reached full flow. Difficult to describe but its the confusion of madness

Then the cold sweat and several more trips to the servicetill. This cant be right. I won £70 in that last batch of spins...wheres that gone....Oh Im £500 down.. Trying to deal with the fear in a delusional way for a while..Oh its only 500..Ive been bailed before by my loving family. Im getting some rent money paid in tomorrow and I might have another go (already £350 behind in the rent and gambling rent money)

Then the extinction. A wallet full of service till withdrawal slips. Any cash inbetween them....no...I will check again... no...then the reality reallystarted dawning. A few hours ago I thought I would win the cost of a mobile phone top up and now Im in deep trouble as I face the walk home with dark and even suicidal thoughts

Thats on 20p a time! Heaven knows how fast the £2 lot were getting through it They would come up with a sneer and say you should be on the higher stakes mate as if it was a big boys club.

Ok the lower stake will last longer in any snapshot of time but I simply stayed long enough to waste all my money. 

Even on a reduction in spins per minute, I think I would have been there all day. I have been in an arcade for 10 hours straight in my dark days.

Far more is needed to regulate them. If its not a full ban I dont know what the answer is. I dont trust gambling dens to set any protective measures. I know that compulsive gamblers cant go anywhere near the gambling dens or online

Best wishes to everyone on the forum

Posted on:
Fri, 04/05/2018 - 07:28

Mixer

Joined:
2016-12-03

 

You've described it to a tee, Joydivider. Reading your post is like reading a "Dear Diary" entry for me; loads of bits of paper in my wallet but not one banknote. In fact, things were so bad for me that I normally had a long walk home that took me at least an hour. Pay a tenner for a cab? A TENNER? No way ....

And, as you say, the misery would really kick in. And then, the following morning when the reality would kick in all over again and I'd have a long, yawning, deadly dull drawn out month with zero money to think about it.

Trips to the supermarket with a £3 budget to see me through the last few days before payday; always the same cheap, drab choice: beans, bread, milk, 15p packs of biscuits ... and this was at a time I was chasing £6 jackpots, and still spending hundreds of pounds I couldn't afford...total madness!

Fast forward to where I am today, and, somehow, Im solvent and relatively secure. But ... I could have been comfortably retired by now, even at the age of 49 (I had a successful business that, due to the nature of it, has now come to a natural close).

Your story brought it all back to me, Joydivider, and I know if I start again I'll go from relatively comfortable back to debt, misery,and more. I'm one bet away, one small bet away, from the disaster that could easily unfold in the space of a few hours. The last time I gambled was a £700 loss eight months ago.

1p is 1p too much. The FOBTs could be capped at 20p a spin, as you've said JD, and we're still doomed.

The bookies will still be quids in and they secretly know it. The only difference is it will take them slightly longer to get their easy profits. They're only going all-out with the lobbying to prevent further sanctions in future. 

Great post, JD. 

Posted on:
Fri, 04/05/2018 - 18:36

Joydivider

Joined:
2015-03-11

Yes Thanks Mixer. You know what its all about.

I wouldnt dream of regularly paying a tenner for a cab or even adding the cost of gravy to my chips :) I would then stand like a zombie pushing those buttons because they were drawing me in for more of a crack ******* fix than a monetary issue. £700 into a fruit machine when I had been putting off buying a new shaver foil for say £15...It makes no sense other than a drug fix because there is no way I could ever have considered it an an income scheme when needed.

Ive eaten some nice food in my time but far too often I been in supermarkets with something like £1.62 to spend trying to get the value brand of custard creams, beans and some milk. 

If anybody wants me to sum up a gambling addiction its spooning cheap disgusting mayonaise into my mouth hoping it will sustain me till the morning. I will remember that desperate chemical taste all my life as I dont think the stuff had been anywhere near an egg. All while looking round for anything left that can be pawned knowing it will get damaged in the process.

I watch a lot of you tube videos and read a lot about gambling addiction

The limit will almost certainly not be £2 and will be higher at say £30. However I feel its a red herring and it does not address the real issues or protect people.

We talk about problem gamblers but I have seen people piling money into them and I wonder about the true scale of the problem.

I get through  because Im learning what is important in life and I do have a good family

Best wishes to everyone on the forum

Posted on:
Tue, 08/05/2018 - 18:54

onlmvt

Joined:
2018-04-14

The 20p spins seem so safe to play till you're £20, then £50, £100+ in the hole.  Been there too many times especially with the change or a very low debit card payment at a supermarket self service buying the cheap food.  Tortilla chips, cheap jaffa cakes, 50p bread and 2 litre cheap soft drink etc.  Annoying thing is when the gambler has just a few pound left the mind works normally again.

Posted on:
Tue, 08/05/2018 - 22:55

Redbar

Joined:
2017-05-13

Brilliant post joy divider, how very true your words ring. I always thought I was a pretty smart gambler I like you spent from opening time 9.00 am till 10..pm loads of times, but I was a watcher I'd keep my eyes peeled on who was playing what and how much they was spending, I got that good at I could watch 2 or 3 peoples machines at the same time as playing my own, then as soon as they ran outta money bang!!! I'd be the quickest out the arcade to jump on there machines.

As a regular I could hold machines open and flit from one end of the arcade to the other making a win loosing, holding the loosing machine, to try and win on anouther machine. Utter madness, I never starved in there was fed and watered all day so having Jack **** left at the end didn't matter I always got fed!!

I look back at my years spent either online, in a arcade, or the odd scratch card and think.. What a complete dum**** I was, I could never play small amounts I always played the highest stake., auto play and watch several machines next to each other with anticipation, the sad thing looking back,. Jackpots meant ****** all, that's the truth.

No matter what a cap is on a machine your 1st spin is a loss. As a gambler your last spin is desperation

Xredx

Posted on:
Wed, 09/05/2018 - 22:33

Johnboy

Joined:
2010-03-18

You will also notice on various FOBT 20p/25p games that the £500 jackpot is slashed to a £125 jackpot on that stake!  (Which is still as impossible to obtain!)

Also in some arcades, they've set the minimum stake of play to £1!  I thought it was all about entertainment rather than addiction operators...

Posted on:
Thu, 17/05/2018 - 08:37

Godoicul

Joined:
2016-04-13

Good news. It’s being  reduced to £2

Posted on:
Thu, 17/05/2018 - 09:10

Muststop123

Joined:
2017-10-03

Never my thing and seems mixed views on here on the effectiveness but anything raises the issue of gambling is good.

Lots of coverage on bbc and going to be a debate on the Victoria Derbyshire show this morning. Just hear a quote on bbc this morning. "230,000 times last year someone walked into a bookies and lost over £1000". 

Be interesting to see what the response from general non-gambling public is - will they be shocked and support more controls (perhaps on the online stuff?) Or will they see people like me as idiots who should just have more self control?

Muststop123

Posted on:
Thu, 17/05/2018 - 10:51

Muststop123

Joined:
2017-10-03

Listen and watched a couple of the discussions so far and the pro-gambling lobby aren't looking too happy today which has to be positive thing. 

Just watched one and the guy sulkily said "oh well, this will just send all the problem gamblers online where they can stake higher amounts anyway". So the interviewer says "Well what are you going to do to do to stop that?". Guy just starts stuttering and says he had not come on to discuss controlling online gambling. He was very quiet for the rest of the discussion and looked very uncomfortable.

I know this is just a small battle and the gambling industry is hugely powerful but so sweet to see them so upset if only for a day.

 

Posted on:
Thu, 17/05/2018 - 12:04

Self Sufficient...

Joined:
2017-05-10

Very happy at this excellent news. I feel I have just been given a Get Out Of Jail Free card.

The only problem I have had is roulette so this could well be my ticket out of here.

My cunning strategy has always been to increase the stakes when I was losing. I won't be able to do that any more.

 

Posted on:
Thu, 17/05/2018 - 12:21

nipped

Joined:
2012-03-25

as others have mentioned above this isnt going to make a great deal of difference to the slot players i suspect many are already playing 2 pound stakes 

they will simply create a roulette type slot game allowing £2 a spin where the feature game will be you spinning the roulette wheel

also i feel all this is too little too late these machines have been going for well over 10 years now and the damage for a lot of people has already been done for myself the crux of my addiction started on these machines and i did a lot of damage to my self between the ages of 19 & 21

it will take well over  a year for this too come into effect and the bookies will stall for as long as they possibly can 

 

 

 

 

Posted on:
Thu, 17/05/2018 - 12:22

triangle

Joined:
2014-03-14

The gambling industry will be fine i have no fear.

Their shareholders will still get hefty bonuses from the different ways they still get addicts and gamblers in

Yes it will help some, but they will innovate.  Gambling has existed since time began, dont see it ending anytime soon.

Posted on:
Thu, 17/05/2018 - 12:34

Reallytrying1988

Joined:
2017-12-13

Pleased to hear the news. But like someone said you can still lose hefty loses on the slot games. Luckily for me my problem was never that and my issues was with the roulette spinning up to £50 a time losing hundreds in sessions and then thousands which led me to be here. Strongly I have curbed my addiction and not placed a single bet on anything since Dec 2018. But that is the thing even if it’s only £2 a time on roulette that can soon tot up to for the average person and that over a few nights adds up to a lot of money, then whilst your chasing you bet on whatever you can to win that back or least that’s what I was like. £2 or £100 maximum stake there is only one way the whole of gambling industry is helping me and that is staying well clear of any of it especially those devil machines which effect so many people.

Posted on:
Thu, 17/05/2018 - 14:26

P_K

Joined:
2015-08-12

I'm pleased with the news and I hope it really does lead to a reduction in the number of high street betting shops.

Posted on:
Thu, 17/05/2018 - 15:36

[email protected]

Joined:
2014-12-31

People really are dumb. The bookies are getting exactly what they want. It has been the plan all along. Drive all the addicts on-line, out of sight. Shops are expensive to run & there is only a finite amount of money they can earn from them. Its brilliant really. They have all the addicts squealing victory when in reality this spells huge problems for our future society. The fobts & bookies had had their day & the gambling industry knew this.

Posted on:
Thu, 17/05/2018 - 16:34

Mixer

Joined:
2016-12-03

I agree that the bookies will be absolutely fine; online gambling uptake is going through the roof. And even at £2 a stake, faster spins etc. will ensure they still get their income, albeit at a slightly slower pace. But they'll get it.

It makes no difference to problem gamblers (like me, like you). We still have to stop. £2 leads to another £2 leads to another £2 and ... we're bust again.

Posted on:
Thu, 17/05/2018 - 19:05

Pete1209

Joined:
2015-09-27

Its fantastic news, 14 years and £200k down abit late for me,  FOBT roulette is pure evil,  i've done everything to quit them but `you ALWAYS go back to what you know`. cant put £100 on footy bet, or play fruit machine slots but can put £10 in roulette and can't walk away its all or nothing, you keep going to lose it all or walk out with winnings, can't walk out a few quid down ie £20 in, lose and walk, nope carry on, till the lot is lost. 

Posted on:
Thu, 17/05/2018 - 19:31

Godoicul

Joined:
2016-04-13

 

If the bookies want problem gamblers to move online and they really wanted this to push us online so we can do our dough from the comfort of our on sofa then very clever indeed. 

It won’t make me go online though as I’ve signed up to GamStop. 

At the end of the day I’m gamble free for nearly 5 months now and at any time I could have gone in the bookies and done my nuts but I have stayed out and this is because I wanted to. This is the key people £2 £100 it doesn’t matter in the big picture but I say it’s good news because it will make some people not bother putting that 1st bet on and we all know the 1st bet is the killer one. It will stop some people gambling and this has to be a good thing.

 

Posted on:
Thu, 17/05/2018 - 20:09

degenerate

Joined:
2013-05-10

Very surprising news.

Posted on:
Thu, 17/05/2018 - 22:22

Jeffutd

Joined:
2015-04-04

 

 

This is great news, even if I wasn’t excluded from going in the shops, no way could I even bothered betting £2 on a machine that wouldn’t even pay out at best of times.. percentages on win/lose are now gonna change on a massive scale in bookies favour.. that has had a massive psychological effect on me to stay well away... I wish this had been done earlier!!

Posted on:
Fri, 18/05/2018 - 10:51

Markman

Joined:
2011-12-14

From my Diary

As expected, there is lots of discussion regarding the proposed £2 maximum stake on FOTB.

I personally view this as a very good thing.

I do not think it is intended to deal with the issues underlying addiction. I think it is more of an attempt at damage limitation.

My problem gambling started off with sport. I used to laugh at the FOBT zombies until I got bitten and turned into one myself.

Here's the thing. I could go into  shop armed with a £10 note and spend a quarter of an hour on 20p spins. Sometimes I would win and sometimes I would walk out having lost my £10. I had some entertainment and was slightly niggled at losing £10 but no real damage done.

Unfortunately for me, I just love those awful Fortune Spins. Countless times I have walked into a shop with literally hunderds of pounds of notes thinking just one or two Fortune Spins, only to lose and then chase until I had lost it all.

As far as FOBTs go, only those wretched Fortune Spins have done any damage to me and I will sleep better at night for the implementation of the £2 maximum stake.

The £2 maximum stake plus the innovation of GAMSTOP will pretty much remove all of the dangerous forms of gambling for me personally. I personally could not have wished for better blocks.

Markman

Posted on:
Sun, 20/05/2018 - 07:59

Matty4becca15

Joined:
2017-09-10

This depends how much of a chaser the person is? £2 or £100 if the person is chasing a total sum they will bet what they want. It is a good start to cracking down on the problem of gambling however it seems like it has come too late.

When i used to play i used to get to a point of chasing my losses, coming up 9 months without playing and i ask why all of a sudden do they do this? It should never have gotten to a point where people can bet so much. The question is how do they tackle the online casinos because they r the killer where people can not see the money they are betting. Thankfully i never explored this route but i know some who have and they have lost hundreds even over 1000 in one session.

I do agree that the lower limit only means that it will just take the person longer to lose their money but the fact that they can now only win smaller amounts on certain games could help turn them off. I can't answer for all people but I for one am pleased that the government r finally stepping in, some people have berated me for saying it, i simply told them to get help.

Simple thing to do for those who love high stakes and don't think they have a problem, even with this intervention is DON'T PLAY IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE STAKES SAVE YOUR MONEY AND TREAT YOUR FAMILY, I wish now I had the strength I do no now this time last year. All of us on here have been deeply hurt by the gambling epidemic or we wouldn't be here talking about this. Keep fighting the good fight guys we will all beat addiction to this evil industry.

Posted on:
Mon, 21/05/2018 - 00:23

Johnboy

Joined:
2010-03-18

I haven't gambled too much since the end of 2017 luckily, but it is certainly a step in the right direction for us 'chasers' - when I was losing heavily in the arcade on £2 spins I would end up going to the bookies next door and straight away load up fortune spins or roulette (I was never a huge roulette person, but usually when I did play it I was in loss chasing mode so big bets pretty much every session of that).

However I did read the restrictions won't be enforced until the end of 2019, so basically January 2020 so the bookies have plenty of time to come up with schemes and loopholes to get around the limit in some way (I am not sure if there is a set limit on how fast roulette / slot reels can actually spin, I know some FOBTs used to have a turbo roulette which basically bypassed the entire roulette ball animation but it was quickly pulled!)

I look back at my gambling story as it were and I remember I was getting sucked in to arcades but the bookies I just thought the machines you could play blackjack / roulette and bet on the horses with, if only I hadn't found out they offered lots of my 'favourite' slot games eh...suppose I would have realized at some point either way though!

Posted on:
Tue, 22/05/2018 - 08:42

steph92

Joined:
2018-04-22

When are the £2 stakes coming into force? I gambled on Saturday , roulette my demon , and the 4 FOBT machines were very much in use. Stakes still at £100 every 20 seconds. The cashier even asked me if I wanted to increase my stake from.£50 to £100 when I went to load up yet another £100 to add to the £600 that I had blown on my debit card. Some of the above comments really resonate to me. I've £7 left for food until payday. Disgraceful.reallly but I've got a major addiction which I'm.finding hard to beat

Posted on:
Tue, 22/05/2018 - 08:55

Self Sufficient...

Joined:
2017-05-10

Morning Steph. I am saddened to read of the pain and misery you have experienced through gambling. I sincerely hope you can overcome your urges to gamble and start to live again.

I was told by a manager from the bookies that the £2 limit would not come into effect until the end of 2019.

Posted on:
Tue, 22/05/2018 - 09:15

steph92

Joined:
2018-04-22

That's terrible. Another year. Yes sadly I'm trying my best to overcome my addiction but finding it very hard to beat. I find it's onkybwhen I have no funds whatsoever is when I stop. But it's only short-lived as the urge always has a grip on me when I have access to funds

Posted on:
Tue, 22/05/2018 - 09:28

Muststop123

Joined:
2017-10-03

Hi Steph

I have just spent the last 30 mins trying to discover when the £2 restriction will come into force with no answer. All I found was a lot of bleating from the bookies about how much damage it will do to their immoral activities. I am hugely saddened to hear of the cashier actively encouraging you to increase your stake. How do these peolpe sleep at night? Unless someone turns up outside the bookies in their chauffer driven range rover, who exactly can afford to play £100 spins of a game?

In reality, once the bookies have drawn this out as long as possible I doubt it will happen until 2019 at the very earliest.

This is too late to be any help to you and my advice, for what it is worth, is get some other blocks in place and work out why you are gambling and resolve that. The blocks are only a temporary barrier to hopefully give yourself time to reconsider before you place a bet - you need to get to a place where you don't want/nned to gamble.

Good luck.

    

Posted on:
Tue, 22/05/2018 - 09:46

steph92

Joined:
2018-04-22

Thanks for the advice Muststop. Your advice is greatly appreciated. The money I've lost over the years just on FOBTS is extortionate. When I lose now which seeems to be the case all the time I don't feel.anything now just numbness. It's like I feel.i deserve to lose. One cashier in a north London bookmakers close to where I live, gladly took 3.5k from me around 5 weeks ago. Money I was supposed to have used to pay rent arrears, without even asking if I had a problem.I thought after that wouldn't gamble again but found myself back a week later with a payday loan trying to chase my losses. I have self excluded but a lot in my area don't question when I go back in. They just turn a blind eye. I excluded from 10 and was only questioned by one shop despite giving my picture and details to all. Someone on the forum quite rightly said it the tables were turned and the stakes had been increased from.£100 to £200 then you bet that this would have been implemented by all bookies with immediate effect.

Posted on:
Tue, 22/05/2018 - 10:36

Muststop123

Joined:
2017-10-03

That is disgraceful behaviour from the bookies but unfortunately I think relying on the gambling industry to help protect us is dangerous despite all their policies and "responsible gambling" slogans. They might pretend to want to help protect people with gambling problems but let's face it we are a marvellous source of income for them. They don't want the ordinary punter spending £20 a week on the odd football bet when they can have people like us giving them £1000s a week. 

Agree about speed of implementation, we would see £200 options today if that have been the decision. Similar thing with the introduction of Gamstop - it took four years for the working group set up to implement it (formed from representatives of the gambling industry) to launch what is basically a database of names and addresses and they still do not have all online operators signed up. This is from companies running some of the most sophisticated websites and marketing campaigns on the web using mailing lists (a database of names and addresses!!) to continually target customers.   

Allowing the gambling industry to self regulate themselves in any way and be responsible really is leaving the foxes to guard the chickens. No offense to foxes meant.

Posted on:
Tue, 22/05/2018 - 17:53

Joydivider

Joined:
2015-03-11

Any delays in implementing it are a disgrace....they really dont care and thats my overwhelming feeling. Ok its not a step in the wrong direction but I just feel its going to make no difference to most gamblers.

Personally I want an all out ban because I realise the sheer power these machines have over people. They prove that its easy to get people standing there pushing buttons and it is one of the saddest sights when you think about it. Im clear that they shouldnt be allowed to produce them

I feel so saddened what have done that to people. Any psychologist will tell you its fairly easy to twist the human brain and turn us into our own worst enemies.

The government make hundreds of millions in gambling taxes.. I could say no more

The fruit machines should have the odds printed in large letters where they can be seen. The B2 and B3 categories need classifying further.  If its a million to one it should be stated in any advertising and stated clearly on the machine. Never mind the pictures of flying carpets...there should be some reality on there.

The random aspect needs clarifying further because they are only random related to the positions of symbol on the reels. The positions of those symbols mean that you could spin the thing countless times and get nowhere near the higher prize advertised. Random doesnt play in my favour on those odds because as addicts random means good chances...oh its random so it could be me...really? The lottery is random and families could play over generations and never win a damn thing that makes a difference. We know the lottery is random but does that make it any easier to win...thats why they dont offer much for three balls as the odds are highly calculated on the take vs outcome

They really are boxes of delusion and I cant stress that enough. the odds of winning a small prize are 1.10 so thats a 9 in 10 losing chance. I get angry with myself because I wouldnt bet on balls under cups on those odds. I wouldnt bet on a spin of a coin but I would stand at those machines for some weird feeling. I was just deluded and ill with it.

Far too much emphasis is placed on the RTP which is in effect meaningless per session and meaningless over many sessions. That number would only mean something if you had the machine for its RTP lifetime whatever that is

That needs clarifying further because no addict gives a damn about getting 20p, £2.40 or £7.20 for example. Those amounts will form part of the RTP but hardly anyone is playing for those amounts. Its just an illusion that the machine is active for you because people are chasing the bonus symbols and big win that they deserve in their addicted minds

Next point is chasing bonus symbols which can in many instances give a prize of say 40p at the end of it. It promotes feelings of being cheated and the red mist of further chasing. Its designed to do that...who in life offers a bonus thats damn all...if it happened at work you would feel totally done over because YOU ARE BEING FOOLED. 

Next point is that amounts lower than the stake are still registered with pleasant sounds as if they are a win.. That should be outlawed and fast because all this gives the illusion of happy times when you are in fact just wasting money.They are designed to take your money on a  curve but I state that addicts are long past any feelings of true entertainment.

I havent even started on roulette and blackjack...perhaps the people punching  the screens gives you an idea of what a reliable income scheme they are

So there is all sorts of highly devious stuff that just shouldnt be allowed. The £2 limit is just paying lip service to a deep and devasting problem

 

 

 

Posted on:
Tue, 22/05/2018 - 18:46

Self Sufficient...

Joined:
2017-05-10

Fobting us and robbing us is all they ever do

Mesmerising, hypnotising, lights flashing as we do our cash in

Lured by greed and wheels that spin the punters sob while the tyrants grin

£2 spins might help some but the crafty bookies sure ain't dumb

 

 

 

Posted on:
Wed, 23/05/2018 - 11:55

itsbeenalonglongtime

Joined:
2018-01-21

Deregulation of gambling laws has gone a long way to making more people with gambling problems in this country. In the Uk and Australia there are more problem gamblers because the laws are the most lax. This is a fact and the sources of this are freely available all over the internet.

This change in the law is not going to save the already problem gambler but it will go a long way to reducing the amount of future problem gamblers. It won't save me as I can gamble huge on many other things but I am glad it will help reduce the frustration of many sick acting people that anyone who frequents the bookmakers cannot help but see.

It is a step in the right direction.

Posted on:
Wed, 23/05/2018 - 12:07

itsbeenalonglongtime

Joined:
2018-01-21

ODAAT wrote:

ProblemGambler wrote:

valdab wrote:

doesnt even matter if it is...it just means it will take you longer to lose all your money!

Not at all.  Its like taking any drug.  Small hit does not have the same effect.  Trying to win with such little money will not have the same exciting danger and euphoria, hence you will not want to play it anymore.  

That is probably one of the most naive things I have ever heard on this forum PG & rest assured, I’ve read a LOT!  Junkies don’t stop trying for a fix just because they’ll only get a small hit!  Surely “winning” the same amount of money with a smaller wager will produce a more euphoric feeling?!?  

I did most of my damage on low stakes & for me, the beauty of the increased stake FOBT was that it bought me crashing to my knees!  As Valdab points out, I just kept @ it until I had nothing more to lose...Hours & hours @ the start of my gambling career reduced to minutes & seconds by the end & the kick up the rear end I needed to accept a) I had a gambling problem & b) I needed help to control it.

Blocks/reduced stakes/banning machines can’t fix us, we’re addicts & the only way to get our addictions under control is to rewire our brains so that we don’t need our poison anymore. 

 

I can say for certain that I will never play FOBT when the maximum bet is two pounds. Just like when Heroin was just under Gambling as my choice addiction, If I or the others around me had the hit severely reduced it would not be heroin that we chased anymore. To be as close to death without dying is often where we wanted to be. With a weakened substance everyone would either seek out something else to numb ones brain and a few I guess would find this a reason to actually stop and take stock of their lives.

I'm sure the decrease in stake will have the most effect for future gamblers. Next to them being banned from the high street, this is very good news.

Posted on:
Wed, 23/05/2018 - 15:21

ODAAT

Joined:
2014-11-10

“Never” is an overused word for an addict...I don’t know how many times I said it with meaning & failed to follow through!  How many threads on here state that people are NEVER going to gamble again are followed by relapses & repeat!?

Most heroin addicts I know don’t give a 2nd thought to the quality of the hit (& I’m not just talking about when they are clucking or how you would know how good it is until you take it & then, would you really leave a batch because it didn't get you high enough?!?), just like most problem gamblers have no interest in the odds but as you say, people are likely to seek out ‘something else’.  In this situation, that something else is conveniently already provided by the very people being forced into the stake reduction.  

Rest assured there are many of us here who started out on much lower stakes than this & sadly, can’t see why this as it stands would have any positive impact on the future generations!

Posted on:
Wed, 23/05/2018 - 15:43

itsbeenalonglongtime

Joined:
2018-01-21

Never is only said because the rush will always be gained from other forms of gambling.
Reducing the stake does not really help me personally and the ideal situation is for them to be banned completely but I firmly believe that this will help with future problem gambling.
The more outlets to gamble in a country means more problem gamblers. Deny this if you choose but the stats from the liberalised countries betray that denial.
I'm not sure what sort of heroine addicts you have known but if the gear was constantly bad they would move on to something else after a short time of taking anything that does not take them.to where they want to be. I watched many die chasing the ultimate hits.
Anyway must go.

Posted on:
Wed, 23/05/2018 - 20:30

Boro

Joined:
2012-07-01

For me the £2 stake will be a god send. I have lost thousands going a £100 a spin. Never touched the slots on fobt. With it being only £2 it won’t give me the same buzz. I actual agree with what problemgambler said. 

Posted on:
Wed, 23/05/2018 - 20:40

steph92

Joined:
2018-04-22

I agree with Boro and Problem gambler. £2 won't give me the same buzz either. Can't wait until it is introduced

Posted on:
Thu, 24/05/2018 - 20:49

DaveUK

Joined:
Before 2009

Interesting that the gaming industry ‘need time’ to update the software to reduce the spin to £2.00. Had the decision been to remove the limit so people could stake whatever they wanted that software would have been updated within days, hours even. 

 

Posted on:
Fri, 25/05/2018 - 01:51

Joydivider

Joined:
2015-03-11

 

[/quote]

To be as close to death without dying is often where we wanted to be.

[/quote]

That a very good line from itsbeenalonglongtime even though I dont always agree with the other points. There is a devil may care, self destructive element in there

That is the level to which I had to analyse my addiction. To look at me you might think I had something going for me but I was desperately lost, aimless in life and desperately lonely. Even though I was putting a brave face on it my soul was numb and I was hurting inside. I saw no real future, no hope of meeting the right person (not wanting to meet the right person as I felt I would only let them down) but I was also a complex mix of anxiety about the past, fear of the future, a jaded view of life and a lazy pure escapist streak as a coping mechanism

I dont know what would have saved me short of a ban.....I feel no machines around the high street would have saved me but I wonder about that even now.

How can someone with an almost obsessive control in other areas of my life have sunk thousand upon thousand into them. I would buy a pint usually alone and then instantly be scanning and walking over to a machine.

On holiday I felt overwhelmed in a Scottish city and the only thing I wanted to do was head to the nearest arcade. I did and blew £500 in a few hours. It soothed my overwhelming anxiety, distracted and confused my thoughts, but was really hurting me at the same time.

If thats not the definition of a drug fix I dont know what is. Sometimes I have silly thoughts that I wish it had been Class A or drink because I would probably have more money left but I dont mean that because a substance addiction also takes away relationships, jobs, homes and lives.

I had that thought because its truly scary how fast a gambling addiction will take money from us with the temptation that we can get it back another day. I used to look at the finances and think NEVER again but I would soon be back doing the same thing. I would double my losses and then just couldnt explain it afterwards. At what point had that seemed a good idea because there is just no rationality to it during the comedown...like there is no rationality to using a highly addictive drug which causes nasty side effects as it destroys the body. We go back again for more just like any drug addict

Look I really hope a lower stake does help some people but it would need to help loads of people. I wont use the tired cliche that if it saves one person because the number of problem gamblers in the uk is staggering.

The addiction is deep and complex but i think it gets us in the same core way. Something is missing in us and perhaps we dont like to admit it.

I feel there is a lot of anger and disappointment in society today as it gets tougher to earn a crust never mind a comfortable living. I wonder if the powers that be have rolled out gambling as another "legal" chemical cosh that gathers taxation.

I wonder what they do discuss at the regulatory meetings because there must be doctors and psychologists on hand who do understand this addiction and how it controls people.

£2 would not have helped me. With the rapid rate of play and addictive nature, I do think its only a token gesture

Best wishes