What is the psycho-education group?
This group is a structured, 10-week rolling programme to support your recovery from problem gambling, aiming to reduce the harmful impacts associated with gambling by examining different aspects of gambling, behaviour and recovery.
The group is open to those who want to stop gambling as well as those who hope to control and reduce their gambling. The sessions will explore:
- what leads to your gambling
- how you can cope with situations that usually lead to gambling in a different way
- how to minimise the harm caused by problem gambling
- how to prevent and manage (re-)lapses
You will benefit most from the programme if you:
- attend all sessions
- are open about your experiences, struggles and (re-)lapses
- actively participate in the discussions and exercises
You will be given handouts during each session, which you are welcome to keep for future reference. The handouts may also contain some optional exercises.
We cover the following topics:
- Setting and sabotaging goals
- Reasons for gambling
- Triggers and choices
- High risk situations and set-ups
- Cravings and urges
- Dealing with difficult feelings (Part 1): The link between thoughts and feelings
- Dealing with difficult feelings (Part 2): Anger and grief
- Guilt and shame
- Setting and maintaining healthy boundaries
- Coping with stress
Once you have completed the programme, you can still access further one-to-one counselling if needed.
When and where does the group take place?
We are currently offering this group online, running on Tuesdays from 6pm - 7.30pm, or Wednesdays from 5pm - 6.30pm. This group runs with a single counsellor and space for up to five participants.
Please note that if you are more than 10 minutes late, you will not be admitted to the group.
I think this might work for me, how can I register?
If you are placed on our waiting list we will call you when a space in the group becomes available, then we can email you with written confirmation.
Was this page useful? Yes