GamCare Logo

Error message

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$field_banner_image in gamcare_preprocess_page() (line 61 of /data/websites-live/www.gamcare.org.uk/public/sites/all/themes/gamcare/template.php).
104 posts / 0 new
Last post
Posted on:
Wed, 13/12/2017 - 00:42

4D

Hi moorey just had a read of your diary and wanted to say congratulations on 50 days (well 52 now!!)

You sound very determined in your posts and keeping positive, what do you think has made the difference and helped you stay gf? For me it has been handing over financials and showing my partner every access to my accounts. I thought I would be fighting this all the way before I did it but in fact its been a massive relief.

Also being grateful to get to the end of each day gamble free which is a great feeling really.

Keep going Moorey let's make it a great Christmas this year without the stress of lies and worry!! Its so not worth it.

Posted on:
Wed, 13/12/2017 - 04:58

Moorey631986

4D wrote:
Hi moorey just had a read of your diary and wanted to say congratulations on 50 days (well 52 now!!) You sound very determined in your posts and keeping positive, what do you think has made the difference and helped you stay gf? For me it has been handing over financials and showing my partner every access to my accounts. I thought I would be fighting this all the way before I did it but in fact its been a massive relief. Also being grateful to get to the end of each day gamble free which is a great feeling really. Keep going Moorey let's make it a great Christmas this year without the stress of lies and worry!! Its so not worth it.

I’m not quite sure what the difference has been this time. I’m still very much in control of my own finances, which I understand is a big risk, but I think the penny is beginning to drop on what gambling really is all about. I’m educating myself more about ‘gambling’ as a subject and reading lots of material about it.

I’m also making sure I fill my days with things, even if they cost. My argument being that I’d be spending 2 or 3 times that gambling, so why not put the money to better use to make my life a happier and more fulfilling one. It’s become more and more apparant that most of my gambling was done through sheer boredom which is my fault. I’ve neglected a lot of things which has made me want to gamble in the past.

Personally, I don’t think it’s healthy to stop gambling and to try and save every penny in the process to claw things back. I’ve tried that method and it just frustrates you to the point of wanting to gamble again to add a bit of purpose and excitement to your life. 

(So long as you don’t go ‘too’ overboard with the spending, of course!).

So I’d say the biggest difference I’ve made is to relax more during my recovery, and not be too hard on myself. My recovery doesn’t have to be about saving every penny. It’s about enjoying life.

Yesterday I bought a few beers and a smart shirt to go out at the weekend. I wouldn’t have done that whilst I was gambling. I’d have spent the same money (and the rest!) on gambling. 

Comgratulations on your 98 days too 4D. Not long to go now until the century. 

Posted on:
Thu, 14/12/2017 - 16:01

Moorey631986

Day 53

Not much to say other than it’s been another gamble free day. 

As expected, urges have been less frequent during the week. I find myself not really thinking about gambling too much. In fact the main reason I sometimes remember to come onto this site is because it’s already there as I open up ‘safari’ on my iPhone. Otherwise, I think I’d forget sometimes. 

Weekends tend to be a lot tougher, but I’m totally spurred on by my goal to reach Christmas and New year gamble free. 

Once I’ve hit those goals (hopefully!) I’ll need to reassess and set new targets because it would be so easy to get there and  think it’s ‘mission accomplished’. 

Moorey

Pages

Pages