GamCare Logo

Error message

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$field_banner_image in gamcare_preprocess_page() (line 61 of /data/websites-live/www.gamcare.org.uk/public/sites/all/themes/gamcare/template.php).
88 posts / 0 new
Last post
Posted on:
Fri, 10/06/2016 - 14:14

DontWantGamblin...

Joined:
2016-06-10

SwordFish wrote:

It's us that choose to lose our money, or families money. The betting industry employs thousands of people who have families to provide for. I envy people who bet for fun. Stop blaming others and let's take responsibility for our own actions. I for one would be out of a job!

SwordFish wrote:

Joy divider you are wrong I am a manager of a bookmakers and can assure you I treat my customers with utmost respect just like any other retail industry. I do not want my profits to come from problem gamblers! Obviously if you read my diary I am a problem gambler so I know how it feels! Believe it or not, some customers actually do use the betting shops for a leisurely activity and boy... Do I envy them. Please do not tar all members of staff who work in bookies with the same brush. As Alan said.. Do people blame McDonald's etc for making them fat?? People need to stop blaming others and take responsibility for their own actions! 

I registered into this forum as a new member simply because of this thread. I appreciate threads of this kind and hope to see more like this on Gamcare.

SwordFish - you work for the gambling industry, citing you have your own gambling problem which is irrelevant for this thread, but you seem to be keen on and pushing for the deletion of this thread simply because it's going against the industry you work for.

You seem to "envy" people who bet for fun, and yet I don't know anyone who sees gambling as entertainment when it comes to losing money, so some people spend $10 on a ticket and can't afford or don't want to spend more and it gives them high ... but some people, especially those who want to take a step forward and try to "make money" out of gambling find themselves suffering years and years, they suffer, their families suffer... all because of the industry you work for and currently trying to protect on a gambling addiction forum, which is one of the very few resources that gambling addicts have.

And yet I can't understand, based on your words, what is there to "envy" people who "bet for fun" (even though each one of them is subject and can become an addict - what you failed to mention or consider with that enviousness) ... and on top of all - what is there to "envy" people who take other people's money - what good does it bring to society?!

What good comes out of the gambling industry? You mentioned the industry employs thousands of people ... but these people work for an industry that is preying on the weak and taking money from people for no gain whatsoever, the losers get nothing in return, nothing whatsoever.

It's like this industry is the 1% wanting the 99% to bet ... with sports betting for instance, person A bets on team A, person B bets on team B, the industry takes commission out of it, they want the poor people to bet, the bettors take each other's money and the industry takes their commission by having the odds given in a way that they will take commission out of it - something like the "Hunger Games" - what good comes from it? can you tell me what good is coming out of it? because I don't see any good coming out of it whatsoever.

So somebody like Joydivider comes here and speaks the truth - and that's bothering you?! That's a reason to delete a thread, because it's bothering you?! Well, the gambling industry does bother me as well, so can I remove it? no, but there is absolutely no need whatsoever to remove this thread or delete it - this thread is good and serving for a good purpose ...

Just like the gambling industry is not good for anything but it's there - let this thread be in its place as well accordingly ... and don't worry, with the power that industry has, this thread is meaningless for the industry, if I were you I wouldn't worry about 1 thread and definitely not advocating or pushing to delete it.

 

Posted on:
Fri, 10/06/2016 - 15:10

ALAN 135

Joined:
Before 2009

Hi there DWG , I don't work for the gambling industry so I'm not biased in any way , I'm also of the opinion that I and I alone am responsible for choosing to gamble , a choice that I made because gambling gave me pleasure , I enjoyed the enviroment of casinos and horse race meetings and would gladly have carried on gambling had I not come to the conclusion that I'd ( that's me by the way ) had allowed it become uncontrolable , I then made a decision to stop gambling ( again my decision ) which I did august of last year . 

Throughout my gambling carreer , I was never under any illusion that the odds were in my favour and that statisticly I had no chance of winning in the long term but hey that was the cost of my entertainment and I accepted it fully .

I assume from your post that your story may be different from mine , maybe you were marched at gunpoint to place your first bet against your will ? or perhaps like me you were a willing participant but unlike myself looks to deflect the blame a business designed to make money , profit and supply you with the fix you so craved ?.onto 

I understand your frustration regarding the industry but they are a business , who do provide work for many thousand of people in many different ways , in order to do this they must , like any other business make profit .

Hanging on to anger and looking to deflect blame will not help with recovery , I wish you well with your's .

Posted on:
Fri, 10/06/2016 - 15:22

SwordFish

Joined:
2015-10-31

You registered onto this forum because of this thread? You do not have a gambling problem? You just want an argument? You will not get one as I said before not worth my time

Posted on:
Fri, 10/06/2016 - 15:57

DontWantGamblin...

Joined:
2016-06-10

ALAN 135 wrote:

Hi there DWG , I don't work for the gambling industry so I'm not biased in any way , I'm also of the opinion that I and I alone am responsible for choosing to gamble , a choice that I made because gambling gave me pleasure , I enjoyed the enviroment of casinos and horse race meetings and would gladly have carried on gambling had I not come to the conclusion that I'd ( that's me by the way ) had allowed it become uncontrolable , I then made a decision to stop gambling ( again my decision ) which I did august of last year . 

Throughout my gambling carreer , I was never under any illusion that the odds were in my favour and that statisticly I had no chance of winning in the long term but hey that was the cost of my entertainment and I accepted it fully .

I assume from your post that your story may be different from mine , maybe you were marched at gunpoint to place your first bet against your will ? or perhaps like me you were a willing participant but unlike myself looks to deflect the blame a business designed to make money , profit and supply you with the fix you so craved ?.onto 

I understand your frustration regarding the industry but they are a business , who do provide work for many thousand of people in many different ways , in order to do this they must , like any other business make profit .

Hanging on to anger and looking to deflect blame will not help with recovery , I wish you well with your's .

Alan,

Firstly I don't know if what you're telling me is 100% true, since it seems like bookmakers or people who work in the gambling industry come specifically to threads like this and all of a sudden it's bothering them that such thread exists and they are asking for the thread to be deleted - this is the main reason I registered to raise my voice against it.

Regarding your claim that the gambling industry "provide(s) work for many thousand of people in many different ways" - that is a ridiculous claim. Personally, I wouldn't feel sorry for anyone who drops out out this industry and if this industry had not existed then people would have concentrated on much better things in life other than wasting their time, their energy and their lives at the casinos, sport books etc.

Likewise, I do not appreciate your tone calling me a person who is frustrated from gambling or from the industry - not sure about you guys but I'm doing pretty well in life, I do have a property I own outright in London, I have money and I choose not to spend it on gambling, but nevertheless I despise this industry because of what it did to several people I know, completely ruined their lives and shattered families.

Gambling is not a business ... a normal business gives something to society ... The alcohol industry for instance does provides drinks which can be used moderately for celebrations, you pay for a drink, you get something for your money .... but the tobacco industry on the other hand is similar to the gambling industry ... whilst smoking is bad for you and there is lots of regulation (not allowed to smoke in public places etc.) - the gambling industry as someone mentioned in this thread is deregulated.

The gambling industry is designed to make people lose money, it's designed to make people addicted, and it's designed to take money from people without giving any value for the money whatsoever.

A gambler is a person that doesn't contribut anything to society, there is absolutely nothing that the gambling industry contributes to society ... in fact, they do create "not for profit" organizations like Gamcare (funded by them) or other organizations that are supposedly should help society ... but their funded organizations claim the number of % of addicted gamblers is very small, they claim gambling is entertainment and such organizations not only don't help addicts but only put them in a vicious cycle and that is what gambling is about - it's putting people in vicious cycles.

So I am not sure how you are trying to recover, Alan, and I'm not sure who you really are and if you're really a genuine gambling addict who needs help (I doubt it) but even if you really are - the fact you are blaming me for "hanging on to anger" and "looking to deflect blame" - don't categorize me as the evil person here, I did not create this industry that has ruined so many people's lives.

The fact your life or your family's lives hasn't been ruined by gambling (yet...) doesn't imply that gambling is okay or that gambling is something you need to approve.

I do not approve of gambling, I am against it 100% in any form whatsoever.

I am against selling dreams to people.

I am against defrauding people and cheating them, directly or indirectly.

I am against having companies that use the best minds in the world in order to create more and more addictions, go and bet on the Euro 2016, go and bet on the NBA Playoffs, dang ... even the ESPN website now is showing the odds on the NBA Finals ... since when the ESPN, a supposedly unbiased and neutral website is injecting odds into the game previews?

Is it legal? Yes ...

But it's the same way you find this thread annoying for you - but it's legal, this thread has tons of good points.

The fact it creates a clash should only prove to you the big issues society has with gambling. You won't find many discussions like this about McDonald's - yes, they sell junk food, but they sell something, you do get value for the money ... you don't have to eat it everyday .... but gambling gives you absolutely no value whatsoever .... only broken families, broken people and sad and lonely society ....

PS I'm not living in the UK and I can suggest to people to move away from this country as their only means of getting rid of gambling - there are other places in the world that are not full of bookmaker shops on every corner. What the UK has reached is completely disgusting if you ask me.

 

Posted on:
Fri, 10/06/2016 - 16:00

SwordFish

Joined:
2015-10-31

How the hell can you ask how Alan expects to recover? He is a very respected member of this site. Who do you think you are?

Posted on:
Fri, 10/06/2016 - 16:01

SwordFish

Joined:
2015-10-31

I have flagged your response to Alan as abusive. You bring nothing to this forum. I suggest you leave

Posted on:
Fri, 10/06/2016 - 16:20

Loxxie

Joined:
2016-01-15

""A gambler is a person who contributes nothing to society ""
How ******* dare you insinuate that I ...as a gambler ( not for nearly 5 mnths ) contribute nothing to society
I run my own pub...work a second job...am now open honest and caring to all who I meet in what ever walk I take....I assist people when and if I can...however I can....so don't you dare come on here saying that we are all non contributors because we are gamblers. ...I'm not interested in the other debates on your posting....well maybe will just say that at least the staff employed by the gambling industry are at least working to contribute to society....you are just a ""donkey mole "

Posted on:
Fri, 10/06/2016 - 16:21

SwordFish

Joined:
2015-10-31

Well done loxxie. Well said

Posted on:
Fri, 10/06/2016 - 16:42

ALAN 135

Joined:
Before 2009

Hi again DWG , thank you for your kind response , I've just come back on and seen it  , apologies for not getting back sooner but I had to google the language you were speaking ( Google told me it appears to be B) and to be honest there seems little point in me responding to you , you serve no purpose on this site and I'm not quite sure what you usually do on your other bored Friday afternoons but maybe you need to return from where you came , this site has functioned perfectly well up to now without your  vast knowledge and input and I'm sure will continue to do so , your right when you say " You don't know me "  I'm actually a Pig farmer from the outer Hebrides and spend much of my life smelling S.... , so yours is nothing new to me .

Best wishes to you and your enchanting family . 

Posted on:
Fri, 10/06/2016 - 16:47

DontWantGamblin...

Joined:
2016-06-10

Loxxie wrote:
""A gambler is a person who contributes nothing to society "" How ******* dare you insinuate that I ...as a gambler ( not for nearly 5 mnths ) contribute nothing to society I run my own pub...work a second job...am now open honest and caring to all who I meet in what ever walk I take....I assist people when and if I can...however I can....so don't you dare come on here saying that we are all non contributors because we are gamblers. ...I'm not interested in the other debates on your posting....well maybe will just say that at least the staff employed by the gambling industry are at least working to contribute to society....you are just a ""donkey mole "

A gambler contriutes nothing to society, period.

A person who owns a pub definitely contributes but when you're gambling you're not - I wasn't talking about you or about other people's other jobs or other things they do in their lives, but when a person gambles he contributes nothing to society, that's the truth.

 

Posted on:
Fri, 10/06/2016 - 16:49

DontWantGamblin...

Joined:
2016-06-10

SwordFish wrote:

I have flagged your response to Alan as abusive. You bring nothing to this forum. I suggest you leave

You work for the gambling industry and interested in deleting threads of this kind, you are interested in censoring people who tell you the truth about the industry you work for - that it ruins lives, shattering families and destroying people's lives - there is nothing abusive about revealing this because it's just a fact and that's the real face of gambling.

Don't like it? Fine ... but this is not abusive, so just beat it.

 

Posted on:
Fri, 10/06/2016 - 16:56

Loxxie

Joined:
2016-01-15

I think what your trying to say then.... is.." gambling contributes nothing to society " !
As in the "act of gambling"
Very different to " the gambler"

Posted on:
Fri, 10/06/2016 - 17:02

DontWantGamblin...

Joined:
2016-06-10

Loxxie wrote:
I think what your trying to say then.... is.." gambling contributes nothing to society " ! As in the "act of gambling" Very different to " the gambler"

Correct, thanks.

 

Posted on:
Fri, 10/06/2016 - 17:10

Loxxie

Joined:
2016-01-15

No problem ...
Like I said...I do whatever I can....for whoever I can
I'd even kiss a toad so he could live happy ever after as a handsome ******... : )

Posted on:
Fri, 10/06/2016 - 19:21

Amom

Joined:
2014-10-09

DWG I don't live in the UK (Canada) and not sure what your point is about leaving the UK  to escape gambling. We don't have near the number of betting establishments but if there is a will there's a way and from what I have seen in my Gam Anon group  there is plenty of "will". Do I wish my son never set foot in a casino at the age of 18... absolutely. Did the gambling industry have anything to do with him becoming an addict... in my opinion absolutely not. He is unfortunately one of the 3-5% of the population that becomes an addicted gambler.

Gambling is a business - entertainment for the more than 90% of the population that can and do enjoy gambling.

Again as I think Alan said

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change

The courage to change the things I can

And the wisdom to know the difference.

 

Posted on:
Fri, 10/06/2016 - 19:21

Forum admin

Joined:
2010-11-01

Hello to everyone on this thread.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, adding personal attacks towards other members is not acceptable and that goes for even those who attack others in defence.

We are monitoring closely the posts and there is concern that some of you have crossed the line and have offended others. We trust that this will end here and you will continue to treat this space with respect and for the purpose of supporting each other.

However, if offensive posts continue to appear, we will have to suspend those responsible for them.

Take care,

Forum Admin

Posted on:
Fri, 10/06/2016 - 22:10

ADT785

Joined:
2016-05-11

Wow its getting really intense!! Guys we all have very strong opinions lets not get personnel. Bottom line is no one forces someone to lay a bet. Thats ur choice! Some people gamble responsibly others like me its like a tap u start and the handle comes off. I dont blame the bookies it was my choice. 

Posted on:
Sat, 11/06/2016 - 07:28

Joydivider

Joined:
2015-03-11

This is good everyone. This is the meat and bones of the debate. Its a good thread because it gets us talking. There is no need for anyone to get offended

I am not alone in my opinion and fully agree with a good few other people on here. DontWantGamblin has put it very well and I fully agree

The statement that nobody forces us keeps coming up. This is a misunderstanding. The temptation is in place...the flashing lights. the casino games, and the advertising in the window of the big win that will almost certainly never happen.

The mere fact that they are there is creating addicts every day. People try it and they get hooked on the process. It stirs something within them because its calculated to be that way. Its designed and calculated to break down control. Thats the whole point. If you walked in with some control it soon gets broken down. When they design a new machine or sports accumulator its a top priority to make it highly addictive

No act of gambling is "responsible". Its about throwing caution to the wind and the feeling that creates. Its all about the risk and the feeling of expectation. Even a pound is a throwaway act given the odds of winning the lottery or the first spin of a machine.

They are selling a dream which is extremely unlikely to happen. Its no wonder people got addicted because its human nature to go wheres my dream then as they keep playing and losing. Its human nature to ignore the odds and focus on what "may" happen.  I think there are more people with compulsive and addictive personalities than the figures suggest.

So they dont need to frogmarch us in. They have psychologists and advertising experts to ensure they dont have to do that. Its a complete non argument to say that gamblers have only themselves to blame.

Gambling actually sucks the life out of communities. Im surprised that anyone with a past/present gambling problem would defend the gambling industry in any way.

Some people seem to be saying oh they are ok.... leave them alone because its entirely the fault of naughty gamblers who cant keep control

I disagree.

 

 

Posted on:
Sat, 11/06/2016 - 09:28

cardhue

Joined:
2013-01-18

The priority for any addict on here is addressing his/her own addiction and this has to be given full attention.

Obsessing about the gambling industry is, quite clearly, a form of distraction/avoidance. It's the exact same avoidance behind the act of gambling itself. By focussing on the industry we are not accepting what we are. Focussing on your recovery is the golden rule here.

I repeat focussing on your recovery is the golden rule.

But it's ridiculous to deny the clear evidential link between de-regulation and the mushrooming of problem gambling.

Would those arguing in favour of the present de-regulated gambling industry agree that all drugs should be readily available in high street shops. Because, after all 'we have a choice' and so are masters of our destiny. And, in spite of what the media tells you, taking drugs CAN be fun (and hey, it's often pushing the same stimuli as with gambling). I assume not. 

The notion it's purely down to the individual is true on a micro level, when we examine the individual. But it doesn't work on a macro-level, ie when we talk about the government taking big decisions. Like it or not, these big decisions have enormous effects on the population.

Deregulation just allows huge private corporiations to hoover in cash, mostly from poorer people  (and syphen it into off-shore accounts to minimise tax). Economically and socially gambling's a massive black hole. Regulation itself is almost a dirty word these days, which is largely because large corporations have made it thus, as regulation gets in the way of profit. Regulation in fact is essential in order to make a better society (eg climate change).

I'm not afraid to say that the gambling industry goes very deeply against all of my values.  If I worked in the gambling industry I would be deeply unhappy as I would acting contrary to MY values. I'm not pushing my morals on anyone else.  If peope's morals tell them it's ok to work in the industry, fair enough, that's down to the individual.  But people who do work in the industry, or who have family and friends working in it, should expect that many people will find the gambling industry morally offensive ... on a website for gambling addicts (of course I disagree with personal abuse)

Louis

Posted on:
Sat, 11/06/2016 - 10:46

Phil_72

Joined:
2016-05-21

I don't think there is any thing wrong with saying you "loath" the gambling industry because I agree to some extent. Athough no-one ever forced me to place that first bet I quickly got sucked in for lots of reasons which I have explained in my diary. I never had a problem with anybody who worked in the bookies I went into regularly apart from one manager who was very sneaky and persuasive when it came to setting up a connect card and online account. When I was going into his shop he was like "Hi Phil! How's things? Fancy a cuppa?" Now I'm self-excluded from his shop and I bump into him in the street he blanks me. However as I have said before one of my best mates is a manager at BF and he has been very supportive since I self-excluded from his shop.

Posted on:
Sat, 11/06/2016 - 11:24

Phil_72

Joined:
2016-05-21

I'm getting the impression that whatever we think of the gambling industry per se most people are trying to emphasise that the forum is to discuss recovery and personal responsibility during that journey. If I broke my leg would I dwell on how it happened or how to go about getting it mended?

Posted on:
Sat, 11/06/2016 - 12:56

ALAN 135

Joined:
Before 2009

Hi half life , I'm not going to debate this thread anymore as I think there's omly so much that can be said from either the Blame / No blame camp but I just wondered as the wife of a CG ? Sorry I don't really know your story as there seems to be no intro page but how does your Husband feel about the industry ? and has he ever used this site during recovery ?, I'm not looking for an argument just interested . 

Posted on:
Sat, 11/06/2016 - 13:08

Phil_72

Joined:
2016-05-21

So do I HL but my main interest is in sustained recovery one day at a time. I have found most of the posts interesting mind.

Posted on:
Sat, 11/06/2016 - 13:58

ALAN 135

Joined:
Before 2009

Ok thank's HL , It's just interesting to get a bigger picture sometimes and see what does or doesn't spur someone on , I can also understand his feelings of the past .

Many thanks .................. Alan 

Posted on:
Sat, 11/06/2016 - 20:22

Phil_72

Joined:
2016-05-21

I think every recovery journey is personal but all I can say is that my life - one day at a time with no complacency and with a switched on mind - and with lots of support despite health problems I am addressing life is FANTASTIC without that monkey on my back. I only post day by day - I've never said "Hey! I'm never going to gamble again EVER!" Maybe I will, maybe I won't. But today I didn't and didn't want to and that is what I take from the  12 steps. Be realistic - make realistic goals. I just want to help people despite being relatively new to the forum. Phil

Posted on:
Sun, 12/06/2016 - 20:19

DontWantGamblin...

Joined:
2016-06-10

deano: wrote:
DontWantGamblingInMyLife wrote:

Loxxie wrote:
""A gambler is a person who contributes nothing to society "" How ******* dare you insinuate that I ...as a gambler ( not for nearly 5 mnths ) contribute nothing to society I run my own pub...work a second job...am now open honest and caring to all who I meet in what ever walk I take....I assist people when and if I can...however I can....so don't you dare come on here saying that we are all non contributors because we are gamblers. ...I'm not interested in the other debates on your posting....well maybe will just say that at least the staff employed by the gambling industry are at least working to contribute to society....you are just a ""donkey mole "

A gambler contriutes nothing to society, period.

A person who owns a pub definitely contributes but when you're gambling you're not - I wasn't talking about you or about other people's other jobs or other things they do in their lives, but when a person gambles he contributes nothing to society, that's the truth.

 

It's called leisure time actually and what does anyone contribute in there leisure time?

Hi Deano,

When you go on holiday, you do contribute to the tourism of the country or place you're visiting, by using the public transportation there (which will bring more salary to the bus driver for instance) or by using a water park, six flags, hotels, translators....

When I was in Hong Kong I bought my wedding suit there - best choice I've ever made, got it for a great price and the design was amazing ...

But hypothetically speaking, even I wasn't contributing anything to society, how often does a person go on holiday or leisure? I mean an average working person .... the "leisure" term you're trying to apply to gamblng in my opinion has no fit, as this type of activity (gambling) is intended to be activated all the times ... the gambling industry says "bet responsibly" on the one hand, but on the other hand they allow you to bet anytime, anywhere, from your PC or from your phone, no questions asked before making a deposit (but definitely expect questions to be asked upon withdrawals)....

So ask yourself please if you can see the difference between a normal type of "leisure" and gambling on the other hand?

 

Posted on:
Sun, 12/06/2016 - 20:30

DontWantGamblin...

Joined:
2016-06-10

Phil_72 wrote:

I'm getting the impression that whatever we think of the gambling industry per se most people are trying to emphasise that the forum is to discuss recovery and personal responsibility during that journey. If I broke my leg would I dwell on how it happened or how to go about getting it mended?

That's a very good point, Phil.

I'm telling you all this as an observer from the outside - you said your golden rule is to talk and enhance your recovery (instead of talking about the gambling industry) but part of your recovery is dealing with the problem.

There is a well known fact and I studied it in university, how so many research(es) have shown that in a certain area that had a casino or booking shops in it - once these were close the gambling addiction rate has dropped drastically in that area.

If you had no betting shops in your area or found it more difficult to deposit and bet then you would have more tools and more abilities to fight better against your addiction.

It's like a smoker who wants to buy a cigarette but all the shops are closed now - he would have to wait until the morning until he can smoke, and this period of being free from smoking can help him actually.

So I personally don't beieve in recovery that is passive, it can also and should be active i.e. don't just tell yourself I would stop gambling, because you probably said 1000 times without success - instead, if your recovery is active one then you have more chances of making a better progress ....

And with this type of "business", sometimes the gamblers need to fight against the root of the problem - if the industry wasn't there then they would have lived better lives, but unfortunately the industry is there, and it is quite a giant industry - so at least let those who need it - to seek for advice, to discuss how to avoid this giant "monster" or however you want to name it.

Even if no recovery is coming out of it - I don't see anything wrong with having discussions about it.

 

Posted on:
Sun, 12/06/2016 - 21:58

ALAN 135

Joined:
Before 2009

It's not always about gambling shops in a certain area though is it ? Close em all down and there would always be online betting gambling sites , slots casinos and not just in the UK that you dont seem to like very much , if you have no addiction to gambling  I really cant see why you'd have any sort of input to be honest or are  in any way qualified to speak on the suject as you dont work for the industry and you don't gamble , you claim to have friends that have suffered from gambling ? so why aren't they speaking about blame or do they accept the blame ? All seems rather fishy to me !

Good night .  

Posted on:
Mon, 13/06/2016 - 04:17

DontWantGamblin...

Joined:
2016-06-10

ALAN 135 wrote:

It's not always about gambling shops in a certain area though is it ? Close em all down and there would always be online betting gambling sites , slots casinos and not just in the UK that you dont seem to like very much , if you have no addiction to gambling  I really cant see why you'd have any sort of input to be honest or are  in any way qualified to speak on the suject as you dont work for the industry and you don't gamble , you claim to have friends that have suffered from gambling ? so why aren't they speaking about blame or do they accept the blame ? All seems rather fishy to me !

Good night .  

I used to work in the gambling industry (but most of the money I made in life did not come from there). I saw what it does to people, I remember the meetings we had, discussing how to get more and more players.

And I was working in a company that had operations online (not offline e.g. bookmaker shops) ... but I saw what it did to people that were close to me, once they got hooked it was terrible.

I did quit my job and if you choose to believe me or not I don't care - check my IP, I am based in a country that has tons of gambling operations in it, but gambling itself in this country is not allowed ... I know exactly what the industry is doing, so the fact you guys are skeptical about me not placing any bet or thinking I lost money from gambling - it's just ironic and sorry if I burst your bubble but I have no gambling problem ... well, let me put it this way - yes, I do have a problem - with the gambling industry.

It sounds to me like you're very keen on protecting it, I am not sure why and what your intentions for doing it, Alan, but protecting this industry is bad for society, there is nothing good that comes out of gambling - the losers are normal people, most of them work all their lives, some of them lose their life savings in a matter of days, minutes and even seconds!

I remember I read on another similar forum a true story of someone who made £70,000 from sports betting, and then kept the money, invested it, tried to live better life - then after a year or so - lost £200,000 within 48 hours - not someone I knew personally but it was similar to a person I knew who lost much more than that.

That is why I am so much against the industry.

 

Posted on:
Mon, 13/06/2016 - 05:58

DontWantGamblin...

Joined:
2016-06-10

DontWantGamblingInMyLife wrote:

I remember I read on another similar forum a true story of someone who made £70,000 from sports betting, and then kept the money, invested it, tried to live better life - then after a year or so - lost £200,000 within 48 hours - not someone I knew personally but it was similar to a person I knew who lost much more than that.

That is why I am so much against the industry.

Looks like I don't need to go that far - here is another horror story from this very forum:

http://www.gamcare.org.uk/forum/lost-3-years-savings-within-hour-advice-...

"Lost 3 years of savings within an hour, advice please."

This entire forum is full of terrible stories and these wll continue to flow in unless there is a change, and such a change can come from threads like this one, which is why I appreciate threads of this kind and don't think these should go away.

 

Posted on:
Mon, 13/06/2016 - 09:23

P_K

Joined:
2015-08-12

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36389823

The Victoria Derbyshire programme is broadcast on weekdays between 09:00-11:00 on BBC Two and the BBC News Channel.

Posted on:
Mon, 13/06/2016 - 10:19

Phil_72

Joined:
2016-05-21

The shops aren't going anywhere. The websites aren't going anywhere. The lottery and scratch cards aren't going anywhere. Go on about legislation all you like but we all know there's too much money to be made out of this "industry" for any government to give a ***** despite all the platitudes. My recovery from this horrible illness or whatever it is is all about taking it one day at a time. Do I like nuclear weapons? No. There are thousands of them still though.

PS Alan is a co-founder of a major chain of shops and also worth £500 million NOT a CG highly respected on this forum and giving great advice to people. Of course he's "protecting" the industry - that's why he has a huge yacht, a trophy wife and a mansion in the Outer Hebrides (he likes solitude).

Posted on:
Mon, 13/06/2016 - 11:14

ALAN 135

Joined:
Before 2009

Oh Phil , you spilled the beans ? LOL ! ,  Despite what you think DWG , I have no intrest in protecting the industry but at the same time I refuse to blame someone else for my choices , good or bad . I started gambling well over 35 years ago , when we lived in the dark ages compared to life now , there were no massive campains on TV , no internet and apart from maybe a small 2inch advert in the racing colum of the sun , no adverts . The Betting offices of the time were very different from today , smoke filled places full of punters like myself , no live racing on show unless it was on TV but usually with just a commentry in the background , no machines and all the results marked up on a board by hand . The front of the betting office windows were also blocked out by law as it was regarded as qite a seedy pastime back then , What I'm trying to say is that I'm old school really and what your saying to me just doesn't apply , I wasn't lured in by big campains or actors endorsments or offers of free spins or bets but I still became addicted through a constant habit and no more . You were quick to dismiss the likes of Mcdonalds who you claim give you value for money and that they don't make you fat but your wrong , people get just as addicted to fast food as they do gambling or alcohol supplied by cut price off licences or supermarkets , Mcdonalds supply cheap rubbish food which probably has more nutrition in the packaging than in the product itself , a burger which in one hit gives you twice the recomended daily allowance of calories , fat and salt but thats ok in your eyes ?.

It's like Amom said the other night , it's about percentages , not all people that eat fast food will become addicted to it and suffer ill health because of it , not all people who buy cheap booze will become alcoholics and only a percentage of people who gamble will become Compulsive , it's all down to us and how we allow ourselves to be .

Ther will always be a demand for booze , cigarettes , drugs , fast food and gambling , if people demand it someone will always supply it my friend . 

Posted on:
Mon, 13/06/2016 - 11:24

Phil_72

Joined:
2016-05-21

Hic! This first bottle of white lightning cider (9 %) is going down well.....

Posted on:
Mon, 13/06/2016 - 11:30

Phil_72

Joined:
2016-05-21

Seriously I feel the same as Alan - never went into the bookies when they were filled with smoke etc as I was to young - bless. I was never pulled in by advertising - as I have stated before my gambling "only" began 3 or 4 years ago and I genuinely believe I used it as a ridiculous distraction from other issues in my life such as anxiety and panic attacks. The one and ONLY time I got suckered was when I was persuaded by the manager of C-ORAL to get a connect card and open an online account. He was extremely persuasive but other than that I robotically made my own erroneous decisions. Robot? Could have been an extra on Dr Who which they film a lot of the time in Cardiff!

Posted on:
Tue, 14/06/2016 - 03:49

Joydivider

Joined:
2015-03-11

We are all on the gamble free road and we all give good advice to the new members so this has been an interesting discussion.

I have never wallowed in negativity and trying to blame everyone else entirely. I think positively about how I have no urges at the moment after 170 days. Once the blocks were on I started to recover

I do feel part of my recovery process is trying to understand everything about why I would take a large amount of money and throw it away. Why I would keep doing it when it hurt me so may times? It now seems that someone else was in my body doing it.

Im calm about the arcades and bookies. I cant shut them down so I am now indifferent to them in my day to day life. Well maybe thats not entirely true because I will get worked up by people who appear to be defending the industry...ie...... nice people working there and its all my fault.

I dont personally believe that the people who do have gambling under "control" are doing a healthy thing in a positive community environment. I see it as leading down the path to addiction for many people.

I am now t total and I know alcohol is a toxin. However I can see the difference between someone enjoying a glass of wine and someone ending up in jail after a three day binge.

Can I accept the same argument with gambling? Hmmmm... Thats a tough one because gambling is a bit nearer home and caused me serious problems. I may be biased there but im focused on the dangers of gambling :).

I believe in a sliding scale of responsibility. I do agree with that I bear enough of the responsibility to be in control. I just wont say 100% because they hooked me and then something took over my mind. I knew it was harmful but would still end up thinking I should gamble again.

I know I should have been strong enough top say this is a mugs game after the first time I tried it. However Ive been gambling on and off with machines for forty years if Im honest

I do feel I need to work through everything as part of my recovery. This may actually always be within me if the right neurons form a strong path again. Therefore I feel it is important to analyse from a position of strength.

Anyway we all have our views. We all go through the different stages of confusion and even anger. I think our common aim is wanting to be gamble free.

Best wishes

Posted on:
Sun, 07/08/2016 - 10:25

alainepo

Joined:
2016-07-27

-

Pages

Pages