GamCare Logo

Error message

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$field_banner_image in gamcare_preprocess_page() (line 61 of /data/websites-live/www.gamcare.org.uk/public/sites/all/themes/gamcare/template.php).
Login / Register

2015 Challenge

3295 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Posted by
Mon, 22/12/2014 - 00:00

Bornagain

**This weeks update is on page 45, check in is now open until midnight Saturday  4th July**

Welcome to the 2015 Challenge!

This thread is open to everyone, I hope it will become somewhere that helps and inspires a large group of people to take that next step in their recovery process. We start the year in different places, some of us may have abstained from gambling for a matter of minutes, others may have gone much much longer! The aim of the challenge is simple, we are going to go a full calendar year without a bet. Or the remainder of 2015 if you are joining part of the way through.

I hope that as a group we can fill this thread with positivity and some amazing stories along the way. A place where friendships are bonded, coping mechanisms are discussed, we can offload when we need to and of course we will have plenty of milestones to celebrate along the way.

For anyone new to this, there was a 2014 thread which was superbly run by Mr Brightside. The 2014 challenge really changed peoples lives for the better! This year I have offered to run the challenge, I have big boots to step into! I'm going to stick to a similar format, but if anyone ever has any new ideas or suggestions feel free to make them.

How the challenge works

Firstly, if you would like to join then all you need to do is make a post. In this post introduce yourself, tell us about your journey so far, what form of gambling you have had a problem with and how many days you have been free of gambling for. I will then invite you to make another post checking yourself in for the week. You will then be added to the challenge and introduced in the weekly update.

Secondly, once you have joined then to stay a part of the challenge you need to make a check in post once a week before midnight on a Saturday night. Let us know how recovery is going and how many days you are on. If you ever miss a check in you will be removed from the update list but free to rejoin at any time.

Thirdly, I will update the forum every Sunday morning with a list of all the active members and how many days each of you has accrued. I will run through all the milestones that have been achieved or are due to be achieved the following week. I will try to keep the updates fresh and interesting so that members look forward to the Sunday update.

Finally, use this thread to develop bonds and work together as a team to make life changing decisions in 2015. There may be times we are tempted or feeling low, if so this is the place to be. Tell the group how you are feeling and I'm sure there will be plenty of advice and support out there. The low times will go and being part of this challenge will allow you to have many more highs than lows, especially as the months go by!

Here is to a gamble free 2015, good luck everyone!

Phil

[email protected]

2015 Members

• happy days checked in
  • SuzyLemon  checked in
  • mrbrightside
  • triangle checked in
  • Better life
  • Del79 checked in
  • Mo
  • I Wished  checked in
  • Bornagain
  • gingermotty checked in
  • Glads Dad 
  • delboygolf  checked in
  • Jm24
  • sonic boom
  • Greggsboy checked in
  • pellekanin
  • matty21
  • Garyl1976
  • insanity checked in
  • Taxi man
  • scotty 1971
  • brutus123C checked in
  • MrStop checked in
  • shep
  • mrdaniel1
  • tt1980 missing soldier
  • Freshman247
  • cloud missing soldier
  • LK89 checked in
  • chartom3
  • J33
  • SierraJuliet checked in
  • paul1001 
  • barryt27 checked in
  • beckyc290
  • Stephen2105 missing soldier
  • John64 checked in
  • Dazz1982
  • Balvaird
  • brightfuture
  • A86N checked in
  • boxingdaysmay15
  • andy14
  • Casey checked in
  • mba checked in
  • skittkes
  • LEST-WE-FORGET 
  • Clivespate
  • GT
  • OneMoreDayLesMis
  • Gerry8 checked in
  • junebug1981 missing soldier
  • Lemon25
  • Thegerman checked in
  • Alannah checked in

Posted on:
Mon, 22/12/2014 - 00:31

Bornagain

Hi I'm Phil and I'm a compulsive gambler. My main problem area is betting in a bookmakers on horses and dogs. I'm 34 and since the age of 16 I have pretty much spent all my wages in a bookmakers. Payday comes and I would take a week or a months pay and gamble non stop until the bookies close or I lose all my money. On the odd occasions that I win I would be back the following morning and for the last 18 years I don't think my wages have ever lasted more than 2 days. I can't ever win because I can't stop. This time last year I joined the 2014 challenge and I turned my life around, I went on my longest run since I was 16 without a bet. I however became complacent and the urges became stronger until I lost the plot and I started gambling again. I can now say I'm on day 22 without a bet and feeling much more positive.

Gambling has destroyed my life, I live a lonely existance with very few friends and many horror stories to tell. I however feel I have learnt a lot from the past 12 months and I feel better prepared for a much better 2015. What worked for me this time last year was avoiding reading anything gambling related, avoiding checking out odds, self excusion and most importantly giving my mum my bank card. As the months went by my mum trusted me more and more and when the urges grew I was easily able to decieve her and get money to gamble with.  My last day in a bookies was over three weeks ago and I went from having 1600 in my wallet to nothing in barely more than an hour. I left the bookies a broken man, feeling numb and seeing no value in my life. I now feel different, I have started seeing a Gamcare counsellor, I can see the error of my ways and I'm determined to become a better person in 2015.

I'm currently single and live with my parents. I work full time and I'm a passionate sports fan. I love nothing more than going to a world class sports event and have a long to do list. Having destroyed so many previous relationships because of my gambling I am having a break until I feel I'm in a better place. My aims for 2015 are to become a happier person, buy a car and go to the States in September. These will be achieved by sticking to the challenge and not gambling.

I have many flaws, but I'm going to put my all into this challenge both personally and also in my duties of running the challenge and doing the weekly updates.

I'm Phil a compulsive gambler and I'm signing up to the 2015 challenge because this is the year I reclaim my life!

Posted on:
Mon, 22/12/2014 - 03:49

happy days

Hello Phil,

I would like to be a member of the 2015 challenge that you have kindly offered to run. I haven't had a bet since 13th Dec 2013, and I wish to try and remain gamble free for 2015. The previous challenge helped me significantly in my recovery and I would recommend it to any gambling addict that wants to try to abstain. 

Well done for stepping into Tony's shoes and you have my full support on this challenge, for us all to have a gamble free life.

Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Mike

Posted on:
Mon, 22/12/2014 - 09:01

SuzyLemon

Hi Phil,

Thanks for organising the 2015 Challenge. I would like to join. I am gamble free for 193 days. 

Online slots, online bingo, poker machines and horse racing took all my free time and money until I joined this site last June. Reading the diaries showed me I wasn't the only one caught up in a secret life of hiding bank statements full of gambling transactions. My life is nice and calm now and I love this forum.

Suzy

Posted on:
Mon, 22/12/2014 - 10:59

blue in the red

Hi everyone,I too would like to join the challenge,I am currently on day 4.My story is similar to most,started in my teens in the slots,playing 4 pound jackpots,progressing to the fobts,I always convinced myself I couldn't be addicted as I sometimes went weeks without gambling,but looking back,I now realise that everyday I wasn't gambling I had one of the  key elements remo ved,either I had no money left or I was too busy or I had nowhere to gamble.Amazingly I have managed to keep my home and my family and for that I am thankful,however,I know that only by total abstinence will I ever regain control,in just a few short days I have realised just how much good can come of coming on the forum and sharing your feelings with like minded people.Wishing everyone good luck into 2015!

Posted on:
Mon, 22/12/2014 - 11:05

mrbrightside

Morning 2015 troops!!

Well this is a weird feeling.......but a brilliant one!! What a great front page Phil - not sure about filling the boots - yours are already tight fitting mate. Please count me in for the 2015 Challenge - and for info Mo, I'm going nowhere! Really excited about watching this Challenge take the 2014 one to a whole new level and Phil, when September 2015 comes and you find yourself on that dream holiday in the US then I would be honored to deputise in your absence.

I am Mr Brightside, 42 years old and have been gamble free since 8th December 2013. Football bets, FOBTs and online slots were the gambling areas that I leaned towards........but no more. I'm not complacent and realise that a big crutch to my recovery will be this forum and even more so the people who write on these pages. 

Cant wait to continue this journey with the old and the new.........we've got a better chance together.

Have a great Christmas and New Year everyone.........let's make 2015 a great gamble free year.

Thanks so much Phil for taking on the responsibility for this Challenge - you're making a difference already.

Mr Brightside

Posted on:
Mon, 22/12/2014 - 12:25

qprloc12

Hi, my name is John and I've just joined the site. I've look at a lot of posts with great advice and this challenge seems a great idea. I've gambled for a long as I can remember. From throwing 10ps up against the kerb with my mates as a kid to wasting thousands in the bookies and online. I want a gambling free life to get the person I use to be back. I've not gambled for 2 days. Like others have said it can only help working together.

Posted on:
Mon, 22/12/2014 - 13:15

Typicalme

Hi Phil respect to you for running the challenge! I'd like to join in with the challenge, your story sounds remarkably similar to mine even the trip to the states you have planned I travelled september just gone for four weeks unfortunately I was still gambling then but wouldn't it be great when you make it to next september and can reflect on how much you have achieved when you get to that point!

I too am a compulsive gambler, I absolutely love sports so would bet on football, horse racing, dogs tennis, cats co ck roaches, pigeons, anything haha and my number one nemesis was the roulette. chasing, winning, losing, winning and of course losing until everything had gone. Like youI have many horror stories. Relationships have suffered, i'm in debt, my self esteem was badly bruised and i've been on and off the 2014 challenge throughout the year.

My last bet however was in November on the 13th I had reached rock bottom, i was sick and tired of being sick and tired! of sleepless nights, debt, hiding things, destroying relationship with my parents, being distracted from the things i love like my job, my final year of uni, girlfriend, playing football, going running so i broke down and told my parents enough was enough, I self excluded from all bookies which i feel was my biggest problem, i closed online accounts not that I really used them, i destroyed all my bank cards and handed all my finances over to my parents.

Bit by bit i'm rebuilding my life it's still a long process to get to the person I want to be but i'm on the right track...Today is day 40 without a bet and i'd love to do a full year without gambling and be a part of the challenge so you have my support and I hope we can all achieve this together.

Merry Christmas one and all let's smash gambling out the park!!

Posted on:
Mon, 22/12/2014 - 15:09

barney2909

Hi Phil, thankyou for setting this up for 2015, its sounds like a fab idea and something for us to concentrate our minds on rather than the gambling.

I am an escape compulsive gambler, I have just joined gamcare recently and I am on Day 1. I am completely addicted to the online slots only, I say 'only' but they have ruined me, financially and emotionally to the point I dont know who I am anymore! 

Looking forward to 2015 to being gamble free, I want to rebuild my life and be happy again. 

Good luck everyone and merry xmas! bring on 2015...LETS DO THIS!!!

Posted on:
Mon, 22/12/2014 - 17:33

triangle

Hello Phil

Id like to continue my journey on the 2015 Challenge please

I'm up to 284 days today gamble free but that's not the whole story.  Like Glad's dad was saying on the 2014 jorney I've stopped before and gambling has found its way back into my life.  As much as gambling sneaks back into the shadows it doesn't  appear to disappear for some.

My gambling was all total.  I'd say my gambling was roulette, bingo and slots, but if I couldn't get on them i'd find a way to gamble some how.

I use a lot of strategies to stay stopped - i'm here almost daily, i have counselling and i go to GA and I share my life, worries and fears with friends and family.

Thanks for stepping up Phil

Tri

Posted on:
Mon, 22/12/2014 - 21:03

Better life

Hello Phil,

I'd really like to join your 2015 challenge and thanks for the invitation.

By way of introduction my name is Andy I am 37 years old and I am a pathological gambler.

I've been gambling most of my adult life really, starting with fruit machines and ending up where I am now addicted to pretty much anything I can bet on. In recent years I moved to NZ as a fairly happy young chap intent on exploring the world and seeing what down under had to offer. In a short space of time my addiction became very strong, and I was spending most of my free time (and work time) disappearing to place bets on horses dogs etc. Rather than confronting my problem, I decided to run away from it and return to the UK thinking this was going to solver matters. My condition has worsened to the point where last Friday (18/12/2014) I had a frenzied gambling session before work and lost my entire salary for the month. This is in addition to being almost 30k in debt. I'd like to say it is one form of gambling I'm addicted to, but I'd bet on about anything that moves. The FOBT machines for me are the worst because there are so many and so easy to access. 

Ive spent time with my family over the last few days and told them everything. I've also contacted the problem gambling clinic and will be attending GA as much ad I can. I'm really looking forward to the challenge with positivity and the chance to help others with the same issues.

again thanks for the invite.

andy

Posted on:
Mon, 22/12/2014 - 22:57

Del79

Evening all, 

after a long week of thinking and reading glads dad post on the 2014 challenge I have decided I would rather have the support of all you lovely people on a daily weekly yearly basis. We never know when the bee will sting and to find myself lost with nowhere to turn is not a place I would want to put myself in. In gambling free terms I am merely a baby and like any baby I need the chance to grow and that can only be done with others support. 

My name is Derek, 35 years of age and have not gambled since 12th August 2013. My nemesis was the high at bookmaker and would like to emphasise WAS. Phil I look forward to the coming year stepping beside you flying the flag of recovery and we will be strong in numbers.

can I ask we all say a prayer tonight for all affected in the tragic accident in my hometown of Glasgow. Life is short so hold those dearest a little closer tonight.

del :)

Posted on:
Mon, 22/12/2014 - 23:19

mrbrightside

Great post Del and so glad that you'll be with us. 

Prayers are being said mate. Just horrendous and a true tragedy. Hope yours are all ok.

Mr B

Posted on:
Tue, 23/12/2014 - 00:20

Bornagain

Not long been in from work and I have to say I'm absolutely delighted to see so many members already signed up to the challenge. Welcome to you all and I look forward to the progress we will all make as a group. Don't hesitate to post on the challenge anytime you need to and there will always be someone here to support you along the way. I'm really excited about what 2015 will bring and looking forward to celebrating all the milestones that we achieve along the way. Its brilliant to see new members alongside existing members from the 2014 challenge.

On a sadder note I wasn't aware of the tragic accident in Glasgow until now. The timing is just so cruel. Sending all my thoughts and prayers to anyone affected by this.

Phil

Posted on:
Tue, 23/12/2014 - 03:17

Mo

Hi Phil

I would like to join the 2015 challenge and hope everyone can help each be strong to help us day by day. I'll post more later as been a very sad day with the tragedy in Glasgow.

Be strong everyone.

Mo

Posted on:
Tue, 23/12/2014 - 07:08

Rst.Ex-CG

Hi Phil, I will be carrying on and joining you in the 2015 challenge.

Many Thanks for taking up the reigns.

Rst.

Posted on:
Tue, 23/12/2014 - 09:00

I wished

Hi Phil,

I would like to carry on with the 2015 challenge, my next big milestone will be one whole year which will be next April, and with the help of this challenge and the forum, I believe I can achieve this and beyond.

I am 239 days gamble free, which is quite amazing as I gambled continuously for 8 years on online slots,it eventually 100% took over my whole life, health,sanity, I was the Queen of PD loans, which I kept obtaining just to feed my addiction, 

Thanks Phil for carrying on with the 2015 challenge, it surely will keep me and all the soldiers on this challenge, positivity to keep abstaining and maintaining.

Suzanne xx

Posted on:
Tue, 23/12/2014 - 09:00

I wished

Hi Phil,

I would like to carry on with the 2015 challenge, my next big milestone will be one whole year which will be next April, and with the help of this challenge and the forum, I believe I can achieve this and beyond.

I am 239 days gamble free, which is quite amazing as I gambled continuously for 8 years on online slots,it eventually 100% took over my whole life, health,sanity, I was the Queen of PD loans, which I kept obtaining just to feed my addiction, 

Thanks Phil for carrying on with the 2015 challenge, it surely will keep me and all the soldiers on this challenge, positivity to keep abstaining and maintaining.

Suzanne xx

Posted on:
Tue, 23/12/2014 - 23:31

hardtimes

Hi Phil I hope you are well and life is treating you good! I just wanted to drop a quick line to say thanks for the help you gave me this year in reaching my milestone along with mr b you were key in helping me see things differently! Its great to see you carrying on with the challenge and I wish you all the best with the coming year xxx Linda

Posted on:
Wed, 24/12/2014 - 13:45

mjc1974

Hi Phil

I'd like to join the 2015 group.  I am currently a member of the 2014 group and I want and need to continue.

My name is Marietta, I am 40 years old and I am a compulsive gambler who is 211 days gamble free.

My vice was online gambling and online bingo.  I can remember childhood holidays and saving my pocket money to spend on the 2p machines.

Without the love and support of my family and friends I don't know where I would be.  I have even told my bosses and some work collegues about it and they have been very supportive and ask me how I am doing.  My hubby looks after any extra money that I put by in a savings account that I have no control over, if I need it for anything I only need to ask but I also have to tell him what I need it for.  This was hard for me to start off with as I've always been independant and never had to explain what I was spending my wages on.  My children (12 and 8) have been amazing as well.  They told me yesterday that it was nice having mum back!!!  When I asked what they meant they told me that I laugh more and when I smile it's a proper smile as it reaches my eyes now .

I am determined to beat this gambling addiction as it isn't just money that I would lose.  I have cleared my debt and I've even started to like person I am again, which I doubted I ever would again.

Stay strong everyone and together we can do it.

Posted on:
Wed, 24/12/2014 - 21:12

Elfie17

Hi

I would like to carry on my journey by taking part in the 2015 Challenge.  I was a compulsive gambler for 10 years and have been GF now for just over 6 months, thanks to this site, the 2014 challenge and the wonderful people here who have encouraged and supported me.   Although missing in action during the last few weeks, due to ill health and money worries, I am now ready again to offer support to others as I like to think I did when I began my journey.  I hope you all have a Happy Christmas.

"Christmas gift suggestions: To your enemy, forgiveness. To an opponent, tolerance. To a friend, your heart. To a customer, service. To all, charity. To every child, a good example. To yourself, respect."

Elfie x

Posted on:
Thu, 25/12/2014 - 01:19

Del79

High 5 elfie, absolutely beautiful x

Del :)

Posted on:
Thu, 25/12/2014 - 05:28

Bornagain

Happy Christmas to the 2015 soldiers! I wake today happy, to be gamble free for 25 days and confident that the Boxing Day racing won't tempt me. This year has had its up and downs but its ending on an up! Hope everyone has a fab day with their loved ones.

Posted on:
Thu, 25/12/2014 - 21:15

Anonymous User

1 day free from a bet, looking to join the challenge and regain my focus

Posted on:
Thu, 25/12/2014 - 23:10

mba

Im in, 67 days today and will continue into 2015

Posted on:
Fri, 26/12/2014 - 11:38

blue in the red

mjc1974 wrote:

Hi Phil

I'd like to join the 2015 group.  I am currently a member of the 2014 group and I want and need to continue.

My name is Marietta, I am 40 years old and I am a compulsive gambler who is 211 days gamble free.

My vice was online gambling and online bingo.  I can remember childhood holidays and saving my pocket money to spend on the 2p machines.

Without the love and support of my family and friends I don't know where I would be.  I have even told my bosses and some work collegues about it and they have been very supportive and ask me how I am doing.  My hubby looks after any extra money that I put by in a savings account that I have no control over, if I need it for anything I only need to ask but I also have to tell him what I need it for.  This was hard for me to start off with as I've always been independant and never had to explain what I was spending my wages on.  My children (12 and 8) have been amazing as well.  They told me yesterday that it was nice having mum back!!!  When I asked what they meant they told me that I laugh more and when I smile it's a proper smile as it reaches my eyes now .

I am determined to beat this gambling addiction as it isn't just money that I would lose.  I have cleared my debt and I've even started to like person I am again, which I doubted I ever would again.

Stay strong everyone and together we can do it.

This is a great story,very inspirational,keep at it,well done!

Posted on:
Sat, 27/12/2014 - 01:23

egfr

Thanks for taking up the 2015 challenge, please count me in.

Im Greg, 33 and my vice was Blackjack. I used to play fruit machines when i was younger and like a coupon/bet on the football/horses/game of poker but gambling never became a problem for me until i was introduced to playing Blackjack online. The stakes got higher, i played more often, i won, i put it all back in, i chased losses. I have used and now self excluded myself from nearly every online casino/bookmaker thinkable then when that wasnt available i used FOBT in the bookies.

I spiralled out of control bumping up my debt and not paying bills to keep playing and nearly lost my family and friends from borrowing/stealing to play.

Im 51 days gamble free and intend to march into 2015 with all the people on here!

EGFR

Posted on:
Sat, 27/12/2014 - 10:16

Bornagain

This thread is already full of positive energy and we have not even got to 2015 yet! Its lovely to check in everyday and see more new members and know that in a years time a group of us will be approaching the end of 2015 having stayed strong and made huge changes in our lives. I really look forward to hearing how much better life gets for everyone as the year goes on.

Posted on:
Sat, 27/12/2014 - 15:23

gingermotty

I'm gonna give this a go too. I'm 29 and in the last year I only gambled 3 or 4 times, but each time it was very bad, and most recently I lost £5k which is more than I can consider paying back. Like Greg my plight became blackjack after I unsuccessfully tried my hand as a pro poker player. It's always a bit of a problem at casinos, but online my credit card company would let me wipe out a whole card in one go (as happened recently). Having done 7 months happily I'm sure I can do a year, but if checking in 52 times here helps me make it I'm willing to add it to my armoury! I can't tell my girlfriend or my family about the latest episode so hopefully I can get it out here instead.

Posted on:
Sat, 27/12/2014 - 16:11

Anonymous User

I will put 100 per cent into this challenge.  Helping myself and others.  Recovery is important

Posted on:
Sat, 27/12/2014 - 17:22

Glads Dad

Hi I'm Glads Dad

I am 45, I am a compulsive gambler and I would love to join the fabby 2015 challenge.

I have been a slot machine addict since I was about 11..

It all started when my parents bought a caravan at the seaside in the late 70s...with the seaside comes arcades and its from there that my addiction started and that's why I'm here signing in to save my backside again. I stopped for 10 years from 89-99.. Then I stupidly went in for a £20 spin and here we are again.

This war is for LIFE not for a few  days weeks or mths, I have learned that from my experiences 

So good luck to all who are here and a BIG thanks to Bornagain for  taking charge with the 2015 challenge.

Here's to Happy New year and Best of luck to all.

Posted on:
Sat, 27/12/2014 - 20:29

baggins

Hi Phil and greetings to all fellow Challengers, old and new - Great to read your message Phil and I know you are going to be an inspiring leader of the 2015 Challenge.   Checking in on my Day 300 (I think!) and already looking forward to reaching Day 365 in March, marking a whole year of sanity away from those stupid soul-destroying online slots.  Belonging to the 2014 Challenge has made all the difference to my return to a full gamble-free life and I hope it may be so for all.   As time has gone by I have felt less and less dependent on the site, which is as it should be, but I still need to touch base each week to remind myself not to be complacent and that the struggle goes on at whatever level.  Good wishes to you Phil and to all.

Joanna

Posted on:
Sun, 28/12/2014 - 08:01

mrbrightside

Morning Phil and the 2015 Challengers!!

Checking in for the first week of 2015 on 385 days gamble free!!  The 2014 Challenge has been updated and will close on 31st December.....final update on Thursday 1st January 2015, with the 2015 Challenge succeeding it after that.  I really hope that "succeeding" is the operative word for everyone on the new challenge!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year and I look forward to many success stories and watching this Challange grow.

Speak to you all next year!

Mr Brightside

Posted on:
Sun, 28/12/2014 - 09:26

delboygolf

Checking in and signing up for the 2015 challenge on day 283 of being gamble free.
All the best for 2015.
Steve

Posted on:
Sun, 28/12/2014 - 10:27

paulll

Morning folks.

Checking in and signing up 42 days gamble-free.

A little bit about me...

I'm 32 and started gambling at the end of 2003. I played roulette and blackjack mainly and it quickly became a problem. I had gambled a little bit on sport prior to 2003 but it was only £5 a week accumulator at most and it certainly wasn't every week. Once I'd got the bug from roulette and blackjack though I started placing large sports bets too. 

I first gave up seriously in 2009 when I first joined the site and managed to go nearly 2 years without a bet but eventually got sucked back in. Since 2011 I've been on and off - off mainly but when I'm on it it's all consuming, big stakes and the fall out is terrible. At the end of August 2014 I got really bad again, winning and losing some huge sums (for me) but it's really taken it's toll on me mentally. After one big loss in October I was at my lowest point and a few months on I'm grateful that I still have my health, house, job and family - it really did feel like I was on the brink of my world collapsing. 

I'm 42 days free now. My last bet was November 16th 2014 and at the moment I'm doing well. I'm hoping the 2015 Challenge will give me focus and help stop me getting complacent. I've had enough of gambling, it's just brought me misery. 

Posted on:
Sun, 28/12/2014 - 10:46

I wished

Hi Phil,

Doing my first check in for the 2015 challenge, am 244 days clean today.

Suzanne xx

Posted on:
Sun, 28/12/2014 - 11:03

J24

Hi Phil, I'd like to join the challenge.

I'm Jess, 33 and online slots is my thing. I'd like to use 2015 to make that statement 'was my thing' 

I've been gambling for a few years now and things have just got way out of control, long past the point of no return. I've lost thousands of pounds in cash, but more importantly a huge part of my sanity and I'm on borrowed time before I reach breaking point.

I joined the site 2 months ago but it seems much longer. I'm doing this completely on my own in my real life, no one knows my secret other than those here. 

I'm 1 day gambling free, after my 3rd failure since joining. I don't want to be a failure anymore. 

Posted on:
Sun, 28/12/2014 - 12:01

elchipper

Hi All,

My name is elchipper and i'm a 34 year old compulsive gambler. I guess my story will be familiar to many.

Sports betting has been my thing for the last decade. I mainly bet on football, but in recent years when I've been chasing losses, I've just bet on whatever's happening at that moment. I've lost count of the number of times i've been up until 4 or 5 in the morning manically watching NBA or NFL games almost always seeing my money/hope disappear before my eyes. Then heading off to work a couple of hours later feeling shell shocked and sick yet again.

I've never been one to gamble every day, instead going through a few intense periods a year where I fall back in. The trouble is, when this happens, gambling becomes my sole focus. I barely even acknowledge my friends and family during these times. I've also managed to rack up huge debts, but this is secondary to the cost to the other areas of my life and my peace of mind.

Well that was then. Now, I'm currenly 30 days gamble free and feeling really positive. The 2014 challenge has helped give me some insight and discipline during the first month and I'd love to join you all through 2015, absolutely determined not to give one penny to the bookies along the way. I have a beatiful wife and daughter and owe it to them to be the father and husband they deserve.

The road is long, but we'll get there. All the best.

elchipper

Posted on:
Sun, 28/12/2014 - 13:36

SuzyLemon

Checking In - day 199

Happy New Year to all.

Suzy

Posted on:
Sun, 28/12/2014 - 14:48

Markb117

Hi all.

My name is Mark  and i'm a 34 year old compulsive gambler. I guess my story will be familiar to many fobt and roulette of any form really. I m really giving up a proper go this time so I would like to join the challenge.

hope 2015 is good un.

Posted on:
Sun, 28/12/2014 - 17:33

Nick10011

Hi, I'm Nick, I'm a compulsive gambler, I've been gambling for almost 20 years, since I was 15. It started off with 5p slot machines and over 2 decades it spiralled to £30 a go bookie machines. I've lost friend, family, time and the best part of £100k. 2015 is the year I want to change my life and rid myself of this disease. I know it won't be easy but I am ready to seriously try. This is the first time I have posted this and it's such a relief to be able to express it. 

Posted on:
Sun, 28/12/2014 - 18:56

Promise

Hi, I am a compulsive gambler and have been gambling since I was 18...all started by accident in a snooker club, found 20p and a friend said just stick it in the machine and like a fool I did....one spin and £100 jackpot in those days....that was the start of it with slot machines for many years and then the FOBT's came in and started having a bigger impact on finances. I am not far off 50 now and want desparately to stop. Sleepless nights, always constntly thinkng about whats been lost over the years and what could have been....nobody can change their past but our brains keep the past as memories and I don't know many gamblers who have great memories about money. Best of luck to you all in the 2015 challenge. This is Day 1 for me.

Posted on:
Sun, 28/12/2014 - 19:07

Bornagain

Wow, been to the football today and I have just come home and logged on to see we are now on 30 members! That is some serious money that we can collectively save in 2015 and just think about the other changes in our lives. The fact we will all feel like better people as 2015 goes by gamble free and also the positive impacts on relationships with our friends and family. Together as a group we can make 2015 our year, its in our hands. There will be highs and lows along the way, but we can share these together and ensure we all stay strong and support each other. Welcome to all the new members and I am really looking forward to the first update next Sunday!

Phil

Posted on:
Mon, 29/12/2014 - 03:52

PennyToStart

Hi Phil

I've new here, been in the grips of online slots and need help and support. Been gamble free 13 days.

Penny

Posted on:
Mon, 29/12/2014 - 04:06

LEST-WE-FORGET

Hi all

I would like to join the 2015 Challenge - lets make it a success.

Addicted to nearly every type of gambling known - especially Roulette and slots both online and in casinos.

One day Gamble free to date since joining gamcare forum.

£28,500 Debt from gambling as just added up all (not including interest) (hell of a lot for a single person on just above minimum wage)

Hence why i can't go on anymore with gambling in my life - need to stop before i homeless and bankrupt.

Regards

Wayne

Posted on:
Mon, 29/12/2014 - 09:28

wolf57

Hi Phil & all fellow 2015 marchers - my name is Cliff, 57 and a compulsive gambler. Mine is the same story as many others on this site and which you can find dotted around the 2014 challenge and other posts! I was gamble free for 5 years then had a massive relapse when I semi retired and found boredom and opportunity! 

After joining the 2014 challange I am 220 days GF come this Sat PM/ Sun morning [i think:)] - i have not gambled since 6th June 2014!

I would be glad to march with Phil and hope that weekly posts, shared strength and posts will assist those already well established and those new to the hard world of being an abstaining compulsive gambler.

Looking forward to the next years march - fitter and fatter than when I started the 2014 one back in June.

Be vigilent all, do not allow complacency to enter your lives and always rem,eber the triangle!

And a Happy New GF Year to all.

Kind regards, Cliff

Posted on:
Mon, 29/12/2014 - 13:54

sonic boom

Hi everyone,

I would also like to commit to the 2015 challenge and look forward to the challenges we all face under the barrage of this gambling industry.

I never remember it being so in your face as it currently is and I really worry for the next generations of gamblers.

After 18 years of gambling Ive had enough!

So im Mark 36 from West Yorkshire. Addicted to FOBT's since they first came on the scene.

This year I amazing stayed away from 1 may till a few days ago - taught me a lesson as still couldnt stay in control once id started. Ending up putting another 750 onto my total debts which are roughly now 7,500.

Want to be debt free by time Olympics start in 2016. Thants my target but will only be possible if I make the right choice every day - 'today I will NOT gamble'

Posted on:
Mon, 29/12/2014 - 14:09

mrboobie1979

Hi my name is mark and im only on day 1!

I would bet on almost anything, dogs, horses and slots, i would like to commit to the 2015 challenge, and make my partner proud of me not upset with me xxxxxxxx

Posted on:
Mon, 29/12/2014 - 14:47

Anonymous User

Day 5 checking in. Feeling very positive today.

We dont need a new year to reflect on the positive things in life.  Well done Mark on your day 1 and your big step of joining the challenge.

Posted on:
Mon, 29/12/2014 - 18:09

boxingdayfresh

Hello All

I am relatively new to this site as I only gave up gambling on Boxing Day, but already I have found it a massive help in providing a place to go for help and distraction away from my online slot addiction. I am on day 4 and it is the very first time I have attempted to quit gambling altogether. I also like going to the bingo (mainly to play slots) but this of course is now not an option. It is the first time in my life that I have realised I CANNOT manage my own gambling and I cannot gamble in moderation. Looking back at 2014 I am now over £11k in debt just from this year alone - taking out several credit cards and always increasing my overdraft to live having spent all available money I can get my hands on countless times. Thankfully I have always managed to cope with rent and bills etc but I've thought nothing of cutting back on everything else such as shopping, treats with the kids, buying clothes etc to fund my selfish habit.

Well that was 2014 - the worst financial disaster and time wasted and it must not ever be repeated. 2015 will be the year of living comfortably, saving up money to pay off my forthcoming family holiday and also provide us with enough Euro's to have a good time (hol is July). As we speak I have left myself and family short for the next couple of weeks and from the 12th January I will look forward to having a reasonable level of money to spend on a weekly basis so that we can do more things together and not have to worry any more about missing out on stuff I should be able to afford to buy the kids. Ashamedly I have also spent all the kids money too and it is heart breaking when they ask how much they have in the bank from Birthdays and Christmases over the years. I have to tell they how much they should have, but that money simply isn't there :(.

However, I know to the exact £ how much they should have in their bank accounts and I want to save this money up for them this year so that I can put it all back in their accounts and by next Christmas I will present them both with their bank books showing the money that belongs to them. That's my goal and I fully intend to reach that goal and leave the selfish me in 2014.

I look forward to sharing my journey to recovery with you all and reading about your lives and this is me joining the 2015 challenge with gusto!

Clare

Posted on:
Mon, 29/12/2014 - 18:16

Bornagain

Just a very quick post to ask can all members please double check that they posted how many days since they last gambled on their opening post. And if you forgot can you please post how many days you are on. For those new to the challenge, every Sunday when I do the update I will list all the members days and also highlight our achievements, so it's important to know how many days we are all on. Thanks.

Phil

Pages

Topic locked